Author Topic: Surprise!! Raven has a new little friend  (Read 3435 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Surprise!! Raven has a new little friend
« on: July 12, 2014, 02:52:46 PM »
I have to share this good news... I'd had my deposit on this little guy for months before, and he finally is here (chaos, I had to take him the same week we were moving)  :shocking:

This is my new little boy Griffin! :icon_mrgreen: He is a Ruppell's Parrot. (Poicephalus family like Robin my Red Bellied, also Senegals, Meyer's, etc). Ruppell's are the rarest Poicephalus in captivity.

When Griffin is mature, he will loose the yellow belly and blue rump. He'll be gray with yellow wing patches and thighs. The females retain the blue.

He and Raven have really taken a liking to each other (quickly) but I always supervise in the room when they're out and together. My older boy Robin wants to kill other birds, so he remains separate (though in the same room). I'll post pics of Raven and Griffin  :)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Surprise!! Raven has a new little friend
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:02:32 PM »
Poi are generally known to be quiet. What are Ruppell's like?

Congrats!
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 07:29:37 PM »
Thanks!  :)
Griffin makes the CUTEST little squeaks and peeps! Goes with his babyish look right now :heart4: Ruppell's are said to be even quieter than the already fairly quiet other Poi's.

He's smaller than my Red Bellied too. It makes him so cute. I think Ruppell's and Meyer's might typically be a bit smaller than Senegals and Red Bellied.

I've read they're more acrobatic and agile than other Poi's, and it seems to be true! Griffin is often hanging and swinging like a little monkey, and he was very agile right after I got him even at 3 1/2 months old! Not at all slow and clumsy like most species when they're real young.

I'm really enjoying him, and glad he and Raven look like they'll be good friends. Poor Robin by himself. Haha, he likes it that way.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 11:53:29 PM »
It is nice when they want a buddy and have one. I recall someone on another forum wanting a Ruppell and that they are rare so congrats again on a rare find.

Griffin's baby colors are so cute

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 12:32:53 AM »
I recall someone on another forum wanting a Ruppell and that they are rare so congrats again on a rare find.

I'm fortunate to live by the breeder! I picked him up from his hand feeder. The breeder Steve Garvin has the most Ruppell's in the US and is said to be "the" authority on Ruppell's Parrots. There is only a handful of a Ruppell's breeders in the US, and I didn't even have to pay for shipping  :)

You know, even though they're rare, they aren't that expensive. Not too much more than any other Poi. Lack of demand is maybe why. Capes aren't as rare anymore, yet they're in high demand and very expensive.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 01:17:29 AM »
I cant recall if the person was in Canada or US.

Good for you

Offline Nakia

• Egg
  • Real Name~~De'Andrea
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 09:36:19 PM »
Sweet!!  :clapping: What a beautiful widdle fabie! Adorable colors on Griffin as a baby. It will be interesting to watch him change into a gorgeous boy when mature.  :icon_mrgreen:

I have never heard of the Ruppells Parrot that I can remember. I definitely don't know anyone that has one. I do see Meyers and Senegals and I have seen one other Red Bellied recently on some of the other bird forums I frequent. One of my best internet friends who lives in Buffalo, New York has a Senegal.

Bet it was hard to keep this a secret for so long. I'm not that good at keeping new parronthood a secret. I am bursting with excitement and sharing the impending fabie bulge way before they come home.  :wink1:

~~We All Live In Texas~~

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 11:25:24 PM »
Is fabie feathered baby? The fabie bulge hahaha love it!  :icon_mrgreen: Well, no more bulges for a long time here! There is no more room at the inn, as long as our living situation stays the same for the foreseeable future. My 'dream bird' is a Dusky Pi!

I have to admit (shhh, this is a Pionus group) I just couldn't resist another Poi :) They're so soft and cuddly and cute (though Robin bit my hand HARD tonight :()

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 05:20:17 PM »
I dont know if you knew this but Chante and raven's breeder Maggie also breeds Cape parrots (or she did) and I know Chante spent his first year with them so no surprise that Raven took to a Poi right away - Pis and Pois

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 10:20:01 PM »
Yes, I did know Maggie breeds the Capes. They're such big beautiful Poi's. My little Griffin is so tiny. He's smaller than Robin. He's really fast and flits around like an insect. I call him my big bug lol! Like one of those giant fuzzy moths? The little ones are super cute though.

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 06:13:33 AM »
When I went to pick up Chante she had a 1 yr old Cape Parrot that had spent most of his time with Chante and Benjamin, the Cape boy was doing flips on a swing saying peek-a-boo over and over and was so cute, I was really tempted to bring home 2 boys that day