Author Topic: Butterbean LOVES Popcorn  (Read 2572 times)

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
Butterbean LOVES Popcorn
« on: July 18, 2014, 10:48:57 PM »
Butterbean has only been at our house for one week and a day, as we rescued him only recently. We don't know anything about his food likes just yet (except that he HATES dried apricots. He won't have anything to do with them, and they line the bottom of his cage if they are ever served. Haha!).

But we were eating popcorn last night, and he was getting incredibly excited. He would run around the top of his cage, going "whooo!" and squeaking excitedly. So I tried to make some for him (plain of course), and the moment I held it out to him, he ate it immediately. He never eats from our fingers, but he had no issues with the popcorn! Haha.

You can watch the video here~

I'm not sure if there's a way to upload a video onto here, so if there is please let me know!

Ignore the loud noise at the end. Haha. My mom was calling out to our dog, who was trying to jump off the couch when he's not supposed to.

I also had to share this adorable video. I don't know if other parrots do this or not, but I've never seen a parrot rub their eyes when sleepy like he does. It's super cute, and usually tells me it's time for him to go to bed for the night (which he honestly does on his own. He'll climb in when you tell him 'go ni-night').

Butters rubbing his eyes.

I just thought I would share some of the videos and stories I had so far. Haha. I love to take pictures and video of my birds often. (:

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Butterbean LOVES Popcorn
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 10:57:18 PM »
Ha! I love how he rubs his eyes! :shocking: I've never seen any parrot do that. It's the most adorable thing. Thanks for showing us! They do regularly rub their necks though. So cute!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:03:40 PM »
Those are cute, Lurch will kill for popcorn, Nerd loved it too. I posted a pic on here I think of Lurch with his beak covered in white husks as he discovered it for the first time and chowed down.
IF Butterbean really trusts you you can try gently rubbing his eyelids, Nerd loved it and so does Lurch. Just make sure your hands are clean and non scritchy and that he's OK with it.
From the videos so far looks like he's very trusting of you, but just be careful just in case for both of your sakes.
The first night Lurch was here we were doing great and I was scratching under his chin and he suddenly twisted around and nailed the top of my finger without any warning I could detect. I walked away after deciding strangling my new bird wasn't and option and it hurt my feelings more then it did my finger, which was bleeding badly anyways. After that I realized we were not going to be immediate best buds and took a slow long term approach. We are mostly best buds now and if he's pissy we just let him be till he's happy again.
They are all individuals with similar traits and so far seem like he's easy going and quick to like you, Lurch not so much, Nerd thought I was his world, but we had years to get where we were at, though he wasn't as aggressive as Lurch was.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 11:11:40 PM »
Terry, has Lurch tried Nutriberries brand popcorn? I swear one of these days I'm going to work up the nerve to taste one. If they taste as good as they smell, there might not be any left for the birds! Ew, but the seeds are kind of a turn off  :(

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 11:15:34 PM »
Thanks, Julie! I think it's completely adorable!! I've never seen them rub their eyes or their necks before. I absolutely love it! Haha. He also bows his head too, when he wants some pets. It's so cute. (:

And yes, Dartman. I totally understand where you're coming from. My cockatiel, who unfortunately passed away recently, was my everything and we were immediate best buddies. I knew going into a larger parrot, this wouldn't be the case, but a part of me still hoped it was. I've been bitten a few times, the only one in my family who actually has been bitten, and it's hurt my feelings. However, I keep telling myself that it's nothing personal. You have to look at it from their perspective, and realize that he's now in a totally new environment after being shoved out of his first home into another temporary home, and now his forever home. It's going to take a lot of time to build trust with him again, but he's already doing a great job. (: I've learned now, to give him space in the morning because that's when most of the biting happens, or if you accidentally wake him up. He's very cranky when he first wakes up, so all the bites (as it always goes) were my fault. I'm still learning his behavior, but I know we'll become best buddies when the time is right. (:

And awww, that sounds adorable with the popcorn! How much do you usually give him? I'm not so sure how much is too much, and how often you should give it. I didn't think often, but I wasn't so sure.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 11:29:32 PM »
I probably give him more then he should have but we don't eat it that often so it's a treat for everyone and he's been here 5 years and the few times he sat still long enough to get a reading on the scale he was 250g so I think he's doing OK.
Lurch is definitely NOT a morning parrot either :biglaughing: He also loves to attack my sisters arm when she gets home from work. Sometimes with great aggressiveness and sometimes he just goes through the motions and ends up doing a show of force then mostly rubbing his head. Of course she only allows it when she has a coat or thick sleeves on and it makes him feel like he's a rough tough motorcycle rider and shows her who's boss.
BUT he also wants her to share toast with him, her morning cereal, and will happily sit on her knee and preen, she's just not allowed to scritch him, that's for me alone :icon_mrgreen: He also loves to land on her when she's in the kitchen doing stuff and most wants a drink and to watch happily what she's doing.
Village Idiot

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 11:34:33 PM »
I definitely probably gave him more than he should have had yesterday, but I was so ecstatic he actually liked another food and was interested in it that I took advantage of it. That, and I wanted to show him that he could get them... Because it will be used now, for training purposes later on. Hehehe.

And aww, how sweet! He doesn't want any of that just yet, but it's okay. It's a new place, he'll adjust with time! Our biggest issue is how cage protective he is. I want to move his cage to another room, because I think he won't learn well if his cage is in there. I have to take him to another room to spend quality time with him, but I'm thinking it'll be better to just move the cage in there instead. He's a flyer, and will even fly out of that room to his cage. So having the cage in the room with doors would be better, so he can't get in. lol

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 11:42:19 PM »
Terry, has Lurch tried Nutriberries brand popcorn? I swear one of these days I'm going to work up the nerve to taste one. If they taste as good as they smell, there might not be any left for the birds! Ew, but the seeds are kind of a turn off  :(
I don't think sister has noticed it yet at the Petco we go to but we'll have to try it as sounds healthier and maybe he'll like it enough to become the next big treat and bribe material. He's figured out if I put his favorite walnut meats on his dish I'm trying to get him to go inside for bed or because he needs to be put away so he wont go in after them anymore, clever boy.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 12:29:46 AM »
I have a feeling Lurch will LOVE the Nutriberries popcorn. It smells delicious, almost like caramel corn. It's covered with a little bit of seeds and stuff, but mainly white like popcorn. It's less expensive than the seed and pellet Nutriberries.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 12:40:18 AM »
Well she was still up so told her about them and she has seen it at the shop but didn't want to spend the money on something he might not like. I told her he loves popcorn anyways and it might be the next good bribery treat he wont be able to ignore so I think she'll get a small package next time she goes there and we'll see how he likes it.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »
That's how I feel about the regular Nutriberries. They didn't like that brand last time, and they come in such a large package. They do like the Kaytee ones which are similar which come in a small package.

The Nutriberries popcorn are less expensive. They're mostly popcorn I guess is why.
If Lurch likes Nutriberries, and he loves popcorn, he SHOULD love these. Let us know!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 11:40:57 AM »
Will do, bet he'll go nuts but who knows with our little spuds with wings :shades: Don't know what the budget is like but hopefully she'll pick up a package today or soon. Funny thing is sometimes he's afraid of new food so I tease him with it, he gets mad and bites it, then he's like, HEY, that tasted good, can I have more... :biglaughing:
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 08:45:36 PM »
Julie T,

They do not taste as good as they smell.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 09:59:52 AM »
Ah, okay. Thanks so much momazon, that now I don't have to satisfy my curiosity by tasting it. I'll just take your word for it and just keep smelling them when I open the bag  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 11:19:33 AM »
Adorable videos! ♥♥♥
And welcome to the forum. :-)

You have a very clever boy that is telling you where he want you to preen him. That is why he put his foot on his neck and rub his eye. He is telling you something.  Next time, preen where he have his foot and he will be so happy.  :icon_mrgreen:
Eloy does that too, and I'm very gentle preening his "white circle" (with clean hands of course) and he loves that so much. ♥