Author Topic: Really weird behavior, somewhat concerned?  (Read 2286 times)

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
Really weird behavior, somewhat concerned?
« on: July 21, 2014, 07:20:57 PM »
I don't think it's anything bad, given that he's still making his happy noises and begging later, but Butters was doing something really weird I haven't seen yet. He was being naughty, so part of my training is taking him away from his cage, which he is protective of, and then showing him that you can't bite and while we were in the other room, he started doing this weird thing with his head. He'd stretch his neck really high and skinny, then come back down and then he'd pull the top part of his beak into his bottom beak, if that makes sense. You know how the top hook goes over the bottom? He pulled it in instead of over, and he'd make these weird growling noises like he was arguing with me, then was really cranky and bitey. I was concerned something might be wrong with his beak but then realized he was able to just do this, and I have no idea what it was.  I just realized the best way to explain it is like he's making it an underbite, but it's not something that stays like that. It goes back to normal and is totally fine after.

Then he was doing this too, with me, and then on top of his cage after that:

Click here!

I think this part here, was just begging to be pet because at the end, you see that he just laid there waiting, and I was able to come over and give him a lot of scratches on his head. Then when I stopped, he started running around and bowing with his wings raised playfully. So he seems totally fine, it's just that strange behavior listed above that I have no clue what it means.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: Really weird behavior, somewhat concerned?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 07:39:54 PM »
My zon does the behavior in the video, I always thought it was clinginess with the beak rubbing and face rubbing, but normally wiping the beak is either cleaning it or showing "bossbird" behavior.

Our Maxi gets his upper beak inside his lower beak sometimes and it looks as if it is stuck.  Not sure why he does it, but then seems to struggle to get it back out. He makes no noise.

Stretching the neck and getting tall is usually an alarm or "heads up" behavior in ours.

Not sure if all this is normal, but ours do these things pretty regularly.  The zon is almost certainly what you would call overbonded to me, but I have no one else to spend time with her since she lunges at my daughter. It all goes in phases with new people coming into our lives and old friends coming to visit, so I do not worrry too much.  Just keep track and you might see patterns that will help figure it out.

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:01:58 PM »
Thank you so much for the reply! It wasn't his alarmed response, I know that much, because I see that one quite often with all the new sounds he's not used to in the house. This one was just weird. It was all of these things together, like he was trying to argue with me or something of the sort. Haha. I'll keep watching, he seems totally normal so I'm wondering if he was just doing something to be sassy or something else, but I'm sure it's normal. (:

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 09:10:28 PM »
I have never heard of nor seen a bird doing the underbite thing! I've had parrots for years, and several species besides the ones I have now, and wow I'm surprised! Dobby does it too?! Well that proves it's normal! As hubby always says, "define normal" lol.

I've never heard of this you guys! I've seen birds getting their beak groomed before, and the way they do the bottom mandible is to tuck the top part in, but the groomer does this.

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 09:56:46 PM »
How strange! I put a call into the vet, so hopefully I'll hear from them tomorrow. And I'm also calling another place to check in about blood work and all of that fun stuff. So I'll be sure to get their opinion on that! It was rather strange, but it wasn't anything he couldn't undo. He was totally fine. (: And still is! Just sleeping soundly in his cage now.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 10:33:59 PM »
If that beak scraping and general beak chomping and fluffing is what your worried about like in the video he's fine. Nerd did it, Lurch does it and like said I think it's a I'm a rough tough motorcycle rider thing so don't mess with me, plus it cleans their beak.
If you think it's a problem go ahead and take him in and make sure just in case, it'll make ya feel better, and just in case something shows up or they tell ya he's in fine shape.
Village Idiot

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 11:39:07 PM »
It wasn't the video, it was the under bite he kept giving himself tonight. There wasn't any visible problem, it was just really weird and something I hadn't ever seen before. Haha. But as I said, I did put a call into the vet yesterday for some questions about blood work for him, so I can ask when they call back. (:

Thanks for the reply!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 12:38:55 AM »
Will like to know about the weird underbite thing, I thought he was just being a doofus and got his beak stuck.  Each time it lasts just a few seconds, then he frees it up. Never thought much about it, as he gives me plenty else to ponder!

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
The lady from the vet office called me and we talked a bit about it, she's honestly never heard of it! She said she's constantly being surprised what these little guys do. Haha. So she thinks it could be his 'irritated dance' that I haven't seen yet, since he's new. (:

Offline Nakia

• Egg
  • Real Name~~De'Andrea
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 06:47:27 PM »
Hmmm, interesting about the beak thing. My white capped does not do this so I can't help on that one either. In fact I've never seen any of my birds doing the under bite thing yet.

Now my white capped, Sierra does love to sit on the inside of her cage and 'argue' with me as in she will say everything he knows how to almost screaming it while strutting about on her limb and flaring her little tail. Those times I call her my Mini a
Amazon.  She will do a sound which is hard to describe that is not any word as well and because I laugh at her antics, she has started adding a laugh in the routine too. She also does all this when her hanging tennis shoe gets in her way in her cage. So your Butterbean is probably having a good time fussing at you. Plus you said he is 10 yrs old right? Some of his behavior could be contributed to his being a mature bird. Mine is just coming up 1 yr old next month.

~~We All Live In Texas~~

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 07:29:22 PM »
That is amusing and adorable! He laughs too, especially when he's being naughty. He'll do something bad then make a sound that's like 'hahahahaha!" So I just give him a glare and he starts to act cute because he knows he was naughty. (:
And yeah! The vet didn't know anything about that behavior either, so I'm sure he was just fussing. xD