Author Topic: Butterbean loves to forage  (Read 3764 times)

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
Butterbean loves to forage
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:27:27 PM »
For popcorn. Haha. I don't give it to him all the time, of course, but because he's molting right now the poor baby is miserable so I wanted to give him a treat to make him feel better.... Then this happened:

Click here~

He was showing a lot of interest in the bag... And so I held it up to him, and he just climbed right in to get what he wanted. He's scared of everything else, but give him a paper bag with popcorn in it and he'll literally just climb right in.  :biglaughing:

I watched him, of course, so he wouldn't get stuck or anything of the sort, but he did this a total of four times. I now know he likes to forage. (:

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Butterbean loves to forage
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:33:37 PM »
Really cute! Thanks for sharing  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 09:23:57 PM »
Of course! (: I love sharing the cute things they do. It was really surprising too. He tried to drag the entire bag back up to his perch, too! Haha!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 09:27:08 AM »
I offered Lurch a bite of my sugar free pie I was eating one day and he liked it, next thing I know he grabbed the whole slice and tried to run away with it. :biglaughing:
He also spent part of a morning trying to get into the nutri berries bag I left right next to the couch and he even plopped down to the bottom cushion and reached down as far as he could but just couldn't reach. I figured he was having fun and it was cute so I propped the bag up just high enough he could reach in and he came back while I snapped pictures and  he logic'd how to reach in. He came up with a triple one, and scampered up all thrilled with himself and flew back to his house to eat in private :icon_mrgreen:
Pretty sure I posted a thread about it here with the pics too.
Village Idiot

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 10:16:41 AM »
Oh my goodness! Hahaha! You have to watch them so carefully because you never know what they'll do! It's easy with Butters for now, because he just prefers sitting on his cage or a perch, but he is molting so I'm sure that's part of it. We'll have to see how he is after!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 10:46:32 AM »
Heres the link to my post of Lurch snagging the Nutri Berries outa the bag if ya wanna look :icon_mrgreen: http://www.pionusparrot.com/pf/index.php/topic,374.msg2881.html#msg2881
Village Idiot

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 11:37:14 AM »
Omg! Haha. Too funny! Just like butters! (:

Quick question though! I figured I would just ask here quick since others were in here.

Butterbean seems really aggressive and sweet today at the same time. He's nearing the end of his molt so I am wondering if maybe he is just feeling better or possibly hormonal because he regurgitated on me in the "I love you" way for the first time today, after he did the wolf whistle. He was also doing te pionus strut all over his cage today and this is the first time I have seen this. His dropping wasn't as watery this morning as usual and it was brown which makes me wonder if his system is finally calming down from all the stress?

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 11:52:56 AM »
He's probably really itchy so a bit pissy about that and sometimes it's just misplaced aggression, I'm upset so your nearby so I'll bite you instead of the thing I'm mad at to show my displeasure. Usually Lurch will do the rush outa his cage thing then fluff and threaten, BUT let me scritch his head as soon as I say come here while he stays fluffy like he's mad. There's happy fluffs and mad fluffs and sometimes it's hard to tell which one you have especially seeing how it's kinda hard to see what their eyes are doing. DON'T touch him while he's strutting, he'll probably bite, wait till he gets it out of his system and comes over to you on his own.
Hormones could be a lot of it too, just roll with it as he'll change as the day goes and if he decides to stay pissy just leave him alone and eventually he'll sweeten up.
Village Idiot

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 11:58:23 AM »
Yeah I just let him get the strutting out of his system while I cleaned his cage. Haha. But the little stinker won't touch his fruit/veggie salad I made him. He only wants his dry food. Haha.

His poops are still strange though. They are really loose with the poop part broken into little pieces in the liquid and it's brown now. But I know brown poops happen with pellets and the color can change with diet. So I'm not very concerned.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 01:28:31 PM »
This is just adorable! He looks so pleased with himself when he gets to the top and cackles :)  I remember Lurch's Nutriberry caper, and Butters is in the company of some good thieves ;) 

Sometimes Dobby acts aggressive if he has not seen much of my daughter, his real mom, when she is busy. Other times it is just that he needs some excitement, I guess, and wants to stir things up. I never know what to expect when I uncover them in the morning.

We have a variety of poop color and texture, but I keep rotating the fresh foods and after a few days it goes normal.  Beets and blueberries have really kept me cleaning carpets here, even with my own rugs down.  am going to get those plastic runners soon.  I do notice a little seed, some birdie bread, and lots of veg and fruit seem to keep them more normal.

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 02:20:27 PM »
Haha! I read that pi's are a little more mischievous than other parrots and I'm starting to see that. Haha! He's not had much fresh foods recently and just his usual dry mix with pellets so that might be why. And, of course, his popcorn. Usually his poops are bright green due to  his varied diet. The vet told me not to pay attention too much to color due to this factor, and only pay attention if it's REALLY off. But these poops are drying normally so it could be I just haven't seen them wet like that.

Thanks for the help! (:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 03:43:56 AM »
Yeah I just let him get the strutting out of his system while I cleaned his cage. Haha. But the little stinker won't touch his fruit/veggie salad I made him. He only wants his dry food. Haha.

His poops are still strange though. They are really loose with the poop part broken into little pieces in the liquid and it's brown now. But I know brown poops happen with pellets and the color can change with diet. So I'm not very concerned.
  Keep trying on veggies.  I offered Charlie veggies just about every day for over a year before he took to them. Now he readily eats veggies....so patience and keep offering a variety
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 05:35:39 PM »
I've found some veggies he'll eat. (: He likes ones that he can break open and nibble on in his feet. (: He LOVES Sugar Snaps. Haha.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 05:37:49 PM »
Haha! I read that pi's are a little more mischievous than other parrots and I'm starting to see that.

Hmm, I have not seen that with the two Pi's I've had/have. I think ALL parrots are mischievous to an extent, but overall and generally speaking, Pi's are probably less so than many other species I can think of! If Butterbean is extra mischievous, then great :) keeps you on your toes!

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 08:29:58 PM »
Yeah, I read it in quite a few places actually! Since they have a higher intelligence level than some parrots do, they know how to get into more trouble than the rest it seems. Not that all parrots will fit under one category, of course. Haha. (: But he hasn't really had the chance to be mischievous yet, so we'll have to see! He has corrected me when I was wrong, though, and accidentally left him out in my room while I ran to the bathroom. He screamed "COME HERE" to let me know I'd messed up.