Author Topic: How to train to fly to you?  (Read 1368 times)

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
How to train to fly to you?
« on: July 26, 2014, 11:28:24 AM »
Butters likes to fly but it's always back to his cage because he is possessive of it. I really want to tech him to fly to me. We have found covering the cage helps but I don't want to always take away his safe place like that. Tips and help would be great! I have been giving him his favorite almonds when he does it correctly but that's it.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: How to train to fly to you?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 01:29:05 PM »
Offer him a treat he can't refuse and I bet he'll fly to you if only to get the goody and fly away. Lurch decided he WANTS to be with me so if I start to leave his area he'll come flying at me with a great look of purpose on his face and plop on my shoulder or arm, then happily preen and ride around. Now of course on occasion he gets bored or upset and squawks then nips at my neck, especially if I'm getting a treat or a drink, but lately he's been really good and just hangs out. He's also learned a direct bite gets him shooed away and that's not what he's hoping for when he does it.
Lotsa folks use a clicker to train birds and it works but never tried it. Sometimes all I have to to is look at him from across the room and say come on, and he'll fly to me, never really trained him. If your going to take him places recall would be very useful and a bit of a safety thing.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: How to train to fly to you?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 01:42:48 PM »
The way we did it was that we stood at opposite ends of the house, each od us near a perch.  We both had some handfeeding formula and a feeding syringe.  We tapped the dish with the syringe and called, DobbyDobby let's eat!" and gave a special whistle we call the food whistle. He would fly back and forth for  a little formula and a lot of praise.
Even now, at age four, if Dob escapes outside, one of us goes out to talk to him while the other makes some quick oatmeal. Then the neighbors get a show while we stand on a ladder and do the drill.  He always comes for the glop.
Many trainers stress doing training first thing in the morning when the bird is hungry, and using the smallest piece of a  treat you can get away with.  That way it is a game with a prize.

I was always relieved my zon did not want human food until the day came when she climbed down my arm and helped herself to some cheese from my salad.  Now that and peanut butter on toast are the only things she will work for!  Good luck finding a treat that will not be an obsession...