Author Topic: Playful biting?  (Read 1993 times)

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
Playful biting?
« on: July 31, 2014, 03:22:19 PM »
Hey! So, I have seen many bird owners with larger parrots and any kind of parrot really, where the birds LOVE to rough house and just play like a dog would. I think Butters likes it, because he playfully bites me some times when we're playing around. He lets me grab his beak gently and play with it then he'll come give me little nibble-bites that don't hurt at all. And I know he's not irritated because I know his behavior now. Haha. He talks and sings during it, so I know he's happy. If it gets too hard, of course, I don't let it happen.

My question is, does anyone else have this? Where they playfully bite you? It would make sense they would too, because I know puppies do when they are younger.

Thanks!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Playful biting?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 05:18:31 PM »
Nerd would nibble, do what I called love bites, have play battles where he'd scream and try to bite like he was going to kill and bury me in the back yard.
It would start with me tapping a wing and he'd growl and try to catch the offending finger, he'd also flip his head around in a real stylized way and our battles had rules. If he got too hard I'd just go ouch and he'd look mortified and stop.
Lurch I think has tried to play battle a few times but he gets too excited and eventually tries to really bite. I have to be careful with him yet as it's hard to tell if he's upset or just excited and trying to start a play session.
If you bird already does all that and knows the rules that's awesome progress and friendship right there so keep letting it happen as long as he's happy and gentle about it.
Nerd was to the point I could let him stare at my eyes and he'd very gently reach out and nibble my eye lashes and eye lids, just like they love having their eye lids gently rubbed.
Village Idiot

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 09:56:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply! He loves getting his eyes rubbed but I don't trust him enough yet to touch my eyes. Haha. We're still working on that trust, but I'm glad he lets me do this!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:16:03 PM »
Well I wouldn't let him near your eyes till your certain he won't lash out as you probably like having two functioning eyes. Pretty sure I mentioned him doing it in one of your other threads but I'm still amazed he was so careful and trusting of me I like to share it.
Lurch would probably get upset and lash out, we'll see how he does as we build trust for each other as time goes on and maybe the play fighting and love bites will happen someday.
Village Idiot

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 11:01:21 AM »
Yes, sure if a parrot trusts you they can love to beak wrestle! Sometimes though doing it can also turn into a real bite if they start getting feisty over it. 
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Nakia

• Egg
  • Real Name~~De'Andrea
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 02:15:12 AM »
I have the big kids as well as smaller ones. As far as my macaws, Roscoe does like to beak tussle when he's in the mood. I will only kiss the top of his upper mandible while I hold it with my fingers at these times. Any other time and I will come away with part of my lip or face missing.

Angel has no desire to beak wrestle, but he is my gentlest macaw and will softly take my finger to move it when he has had enough loving. He has never tried to actually bite me and mean it.

Ruby Jewel is my sweetheart macaw and she will give kisses, likes to tussle a little and I can kiss the top of her beak any time I want to. She does occasionally bite too hard on my fingers by accident and I tell her that hurt and she will say something in a high pitched voice as if asking me if she hurt me. Her words aren't always understandable yet.

My smaller kids don't care much for beak play. Dakota my RB2 likes to take his little sharp beak tip and pinch my arm trying to preen my skin. He can't understand why I keep moving his beak away. After all he's only trying to make my funny looking feathers pretty.  :biglaughing:

~~We All Live In Texas~~

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 12:42:16 AM »
Butters just loves it, but only when he's in the mood. But of course, that's how it always goes with Parrots. It's usually on their terms, not yours... Haha!

And that sounds adorable!! I love how they act, even when they anger me. It's just so fascinating to me! And I'd do the same as you. If I had a macaw I wouldn't let it near me like that without making sure I won't get bitten.

I'm hoping to get a cockatoo some day, when life permits and I can properly care for one with how much work they are, and if not, then for sure an African Grey. (: