Author Topic: They DO like Nutriberries!  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
They DO like Nutriberries!
« on: August 01, 2014, 08:24:44 PM »
Thank goodness. I had a $5 off coupon for Petco, so I bought the smallest bag (which is still pretty big). I got the "El Paso" blend. Has bell pepper in it, and smells southwestern.

I was surprised they are hard and crunchy. I thought when I tried it years ago, they were sort of soft and chewy? I probably just remembered wrong.  :) I'm just happy that all 3 like them.

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
Re: They DO like Nutriberries!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 10:55:28 PM »

Maybe that's why they had a coupon for them ... they were there a while but I do not think they are real soft or pliable.  It's been several years since I've bought any ... maybe like 5-6 years.  Most of my birds always liked them!
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 12:25:32 AM »

Maybe that's why they had a coupon for them ... they were there a while but I do not think they are real soft or pliable.  It's been several years since I've bought any ... maybe like 5-6 years.  Most of my birds always liked them!

No, the coupon wasn't "for" Nutriberries  :) It was for anything in Petco. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think the Nutriberries that come in the tub are soft, and the ones in the bag are crunchy? Maybe different formula? I know they have different kinds, and some are more pellet, some are more seed I think? Hmm, I'll have to get the tub ones next time and see if those are soft. I got the bag kind since it was smaller and cheaper. As long as they like them and get eaten! :)

I bought Griffin's cage on Petco.com (which I normally wouldn't do, but the Cinco De Mayo sale was great)... For each $100 you get $5 to spend in the store or online. I know whoopee $5 from $100. Which now raises the question 'where's the other $5' I'm owed from buying the $235 cage?!  :dunno:

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 07:45:08 AM »
I have found the original, the El Paso and the Garden Veggie tend to be harder and firmer, the Sunny Orchard and Tropical Fruit softer, I think the dried fruit in those makes them softer. Chante usually eats any type, Adam goes through phases, sometimes he loves one flavor then he doesnt. I have a friend who runs a rescue and gets the 20 lb boxes wholesale from Lafabers and will get them for me and another friend for her cost plus a donation to the rescue so a friend and I split 20 lbs at a time and get a very good price, last time we got a few boxes and packed them into 1 - 2 lb bags and sealed them with a food save which works great but I learned not to vacuum seal the softer ones, they smash together and have to be delicately separated.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 08:18:25 AM »
Nerd loved them and would walk over to the couch every afternoon/night for his treat run. I think he liked the garden veggie and fruit ones best.
Lurch discovered they were good after being here a while and so far only likes the fruit ones and also will fly over to the couch when he's hungry and wants treats, He knows he can fly :biglaughing:
They both ate quite a few of them everyday and never had any issues and I think they're pretty healthy and give them something to play with and forage through as they pick out their favorite bits.
We'll even redo the left over crumbs but Lurch will only eat them if whatever we used to glue them back together doesn't make them taste burned or funny, picky boy.
He'll go through a 3 pound bag in a couple of weeks or so and whenever they have a sale or a ooops bag we stalk up but maybe there's a cheaper way to get larger amounts.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 10:43:50 AM »
That might explain the texture. Depends on what's in it. They have so many kinds, now that I know they like the El Paso, I'll have to try all the others. I just learned that AviCakes are Lafeber's too! I know this brand is said to be up there among the pellets with best quality nutrition, so it makes me feel good that they like healthy "treats"!