Author Topic: I found Pix dead in his cage  (Read 3418 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
I found Pix dead in his cage
« on: August 05, 2014, 03:10:44 PM »
Below, I have copy/pasted what I wrote in another forum this morning. I don't have the energy to write it again. It's in italics...

I FOUND Pix dead in his cage!!
All I could do was scream NO!!NO!!NO!! Okay, I'm still shaking, I'm still hysterical. I just found him 15 minutes ago. I don't want to call Don at work to give him such upsetting news and disturb his mind thought the day. Pix was the only bird (Budgie) who was BOTH Don's and mine.

Pix (and his buddy Twigs) are approx 2(?) years old. About 8 months ago, Pix developed serious systemic problems (many organ systems) and they think probably thyroid or hormones which controlled his hunger mechanism and metabolism. He became severely obese despite same diet (Harrison's lifetime) that Twigs is on. He's had diagnostics and a diet plan from 2 avian vets. Long story short, I think his organs were so far gone that they could not heal.
It is known that Budgies, due to being very overbred, or inbred with no regard to genetics, commonly develop serious internal problems. There was nothing we could have done to prevent him developing this, despite giving the best of care.

I had dreams about someday when he's better to put him in a nice flight cage with his best friend Twigs.

I feel so awful... I wish I could have said "hi" to him one more time... I wish he could have gotten out to fly with his buddy Twigs one last time... I wish he was able to sit by Twigs and preen with him one last time... I wish he has the opportunity to enjoy one last meal before he passed...

We've all told owners not to feel guilty, but I see how easy it is when you're vulnerable. I was going to spend time with him to fly, and weigh him yesterday but I was busy. Why didn't I go over and say hi to him an extra time or take him out yesterday or this morning just for a minute? God I wish I had. I just wish I had. My heart really hurts.

Also, a little sixth sense?? Early this morning Don called and left me a message saying "don't forget to feed Pix, I know you don't forget, but just a little reminder anyway." Pix was on a once a day avian vet managed diet. Don knows I always clean and feed daily. He never calls to remind me... Maybe he had a little 'serendipity' moment there?

Also, just early this morning as I still layed in bed (or maybe it was my last though last night), I told myself that today I am going to get the budgies out and weigh them, and let them fly in one of the rooms. I never have this specific thought. It's just something I would "do", not have 'pre thoughts about'. Weird...  :cry2:

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: I found Pix dead in his cage
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 06:08:03 PM »
I am so sorry, but please do not overthink this.  You provided health care and gave Pix love, that's all you could have done.  I, too, beat myself up over the birds I have lost.  You are a very loving parront, and my thoughts are with you today. 

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 11:11:20 PM »
Sounds like you did everything you could and you said budgies have issues so don't beat yourself up about it and just know he was happy and loved to the end.
When Nerd died just before Xmas of 2009 I wasn't going to tell my sister who lives here either as same thing, didn't want her all upset and crying at work. Unfortunately our Mom called her and ruined the rest of her day just trying to help :(
I felt terrible about Nerd too and the coulda, shoulda, woulda questions still bug me but I know he was very happy and knew he was loved and part of the flock, plus he was with me when he passed so it helps but I still miss him and the bond we had. Hang in there and take the time you need and think of the good times you had :hugs:
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 12:04:38 AM »
Thank you. It hurts even more to know that I had no idea exactly 'when' he passed, and he suffered and passed away alone. Was it late last evening? Was it in the middle of the night? Was it this morning before I went over to see him? He was already cold. I wish I was there for him. Sort of makes me feel guilty even though I shouldn't.

When Don got home I told him. We held Pix and said our last sad goodbye. I gently packed him for the freezer to take him to the vet for cremation. We're getting him back in a little cedar box, which I will keep with the other little cedar box containing my beloved first Bronze Winged Pi 'Adrion'. Then NO MORE little cedar boxes for a very long time!!

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 01:20:16 AM »
I'm so sorry for your loss. :-(

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 10:03:41 PM »
Oh Julie - so sorry that you lost your little fella so suddenly.  It is often out of our control on a situation such as yours.  We often never even see or notice signs of anything particular.  Who knows maybe he was frightened and had a heart attack.  If you truly want to know a cause of death then a necropsy would be best.

Again, sure sorry for your loss.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 12:56:22 AM »
Thank you so much everyone. I'm so sad. Pix was such a sweet little character and he got sick and suffered way too soon in his short life, and suffered with symptoms of organ failure for far too long. He is no longer in pain.

Jan, Pix went to 2 avian vets, but he was one of those Budgies who (all too commonly) had the bad genetics from the overbreeding that budgies often have. Long story short, they think his hormones that controlled appetite and metabolism went awry, which caused him to eat constantly (until he was 53 grams instead of 33), which caused morbid obesity, which caused several of his organ systems to be over taxed, causing a bunch of symptoms when his kidneys and liver and digestive system stopped working properly, and unfortunately after some months caused organ failure and death. Although both vets had ordered a strict diet, and he did get down to 37 grams, he was really suffering as his body craved the excess food that he was not getting. His organs were too far gone to repair. He will be cremated and given back to us in a special box.

I moved Twigs my other Budgie in the room with the parrots so he won't be lonely. Raven doesn't mind him, but the Poi's hate him and want to kill him. I have to be very careful with them!

Offline Nakia

• Egg
  • Real Name~~De'Andrea
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 01:43:56 AM »
I am so sorry to hear of your sweet widdle Pix passing Julie. :bighug: I know words alone cannot do mu h to comfort you. I didn't get to know Pix but all budgies are adorably sweet so I feel I do know him.

I can tell by your care you gave and your knowing everything about hiss illness that he had the best of care from you and his vets. Pix could not have asked for a better parront.

Fly High over The Rainbow Bridge Sweet Pix and watch over your flock here on earth. They need to feel your comforting wings to know you are still with them.

~~We All Live In Texas~~

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 03:50:06 PM »
So very very sorry. Wish I could offer a hug in person  :bighug:
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 09:41:11 PM »
Thank you so much. The kind words really mean a lot.  :) I still can't believe he's gone.

Update on Twigs (Pix's best friend) - he seems happy in the parrot room now with more stimulation, but they all hate him. Even Pionus Raven has finally made up his mind and now hates him too  :(. I have to keep him clear away from everyone I guess since he's so tiny. He's even tiny for a Budgie. He's like a canary lol.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 09:51:28 PM »
Nerd at first tolerated Beeper the house finch we raised then grew jealous and homicidal towards her as she began to fly well, get attention, and try to bug him. I think most bigger birds tend to hate small birds because they can fly so much faster and better then they can.
Be careful as they can very quickly do horrendous damage and the small birds always seem to want to see the big ones.
At least he has other birds to hang out with and maybe when your ready he can get another friend.
Village Idiot