Author Topic: Bite... No body language.  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Bite... No body language.
« on: August 13, 2014, 08:28:16 PM »
So Raven has been in a bitey mood today it seems. Over the past few months we have really come a long way with stepping up without biting. He forgot all about biting for quite a while I was pleased to see. Today was the first time in a while that I've seen him react this way. In fact, It's been so long since he'd bitten me (for no apparent reason) that I wasn't expecting it at all.

Raven was on the edge of his dome top off to the side in a location that he will commonly step up from. I had asked him to step up, put my finger there like usual, and he just bit down with absolutely no warning body language. I have to mention that the bite wasn't super hard (didn't draw blood) BUT it was definitely a bite, not a nip.

I am thinking that this means he is starting to "test" me again?
Anyone else have this experience with a Pi? What it reminds me of is with people - someone giving another person a push or little shove... Like a kid being a bully seeing what he can get away with or seeing what the other kid is made of, if he can dominate the other person. Not to anthropomorphize human traits to birds, but that's what it reminds me of! Raven is that way with me, yet such a pushover to his more aggressive little buddy Griffin! 

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Bite... No body language.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 06:29:29 PM »
My bet is he just didn't want to step up and you kept asking so he acted out to say NO! Lurch tends to get like that too, pissy and nippy and just not in the mood to play nice, and yes if he's merely iratated he'll bite but not as fast and hard as he can and without warning. If he's really upset he'll go CHIRP! and bite. He did that the other day because he was happy sitting on my knee and I wanted to get up.
I said I'm standing up now Lurch and offered my arm which lately he happily steps onto, but that day he wanted to stay put and not be made to move so he lashed out.
Right after he was back and wanting scratches and attention so he didn't stay mad long.
Village Idiot

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 11:15:06 AM »
I agree with Terry.
Sometimes they don't want to be a good boy and I have always respect that. They are like us not machines and they can also have a bad day.
When they say NO, I believe that is something good. I would never want Eloy to do something he didn't want to do.
To bite with no warning in that situation is something that you have to get used too for a while until you know each others limit.
And when you start to respect that he don't want to step up all the times you ask (but you can always bride him :P) him, he will stop to bite and give you warnings or nip instead.
Remember not to get angry if he bites you. I don't believe that it is the right way. I  "play" very sad (and I say No) and just leave him and get into another room.  Eloy understand that he has hurting me, and when he does I don't want to be with him. They are so smart, and that's why we love them so much. ♥

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 01:22:39 PM »
Thanks. I know we just have to get used to each other even more and read each other. He is by far the most stubborn of parrots I've ever had. Everyone from Poi's, another Pi, even an Eclectus have always stepped up automatically every time once they knew what it meant.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »
Yes they are stubborn and have attitude!  :icon_mrgreen: And they really know what they want or not.
A male Pi isn't the easiest, but I will not have Eloy any other way. I love his stubborn attitude.  ♥

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 07:53:38 PM »
Lurch was upset last evening because I finally came home and let him out, THEN my sister, lil sister and her hubby showed up and we ate dinner and caught up as he hadn't seen our shed and things we added to the house.
He happily ate dinner with me but when I decided to go outside he was very upset his daddy time had ended. I wanted to see what her hubby thought about the shed and tell him about it, I also made the mistake of wearing a hat he hates.
We all heard him while outside going KACK! KACK! KACK!...
When I went back inside he flew to my chair, then onto my shoulder, and CHIRP! He bit the crap out my neck. I forgot to remove the evil hat and had walked away during daddy time so he was extra pissy.
I can't say I didn't get mad and I chased him away with the hat and told him he was a bad bird etc.
After we both calmed down he of course wanted back on my knee but I said nope and turned my back on him many times. Finally I turned to him and scratched him and let him on my knee and things again and he was happy.
Chasing him with the hat was probably not a good thing has he was mad at all hats the rest of the night but as long as I had no hat he was fine.
Today I came home in my normal hat, he was THRILLED to see me, started talking, wanting scratches, and flew to me when I went to wash up, also was just fine and happily preened as I got cleaned up.
I guess yesterday was a bad day for him, plus all the new things and too short daddy time so he acted out and we both had a bad night.
Today is a new day and the trust we've built up made him forgive and forget so we're both happy today and he's being a love sponge.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 12:09:42 AM »
Haha funny story about Lurch.  :icon_mrgreen: I hope your neck is okay Terry!

I guess they're a little like having a real small Amazon! :icon_mrgreen: Besides Raven being a stubborn male Pionus, he definitely likes my hubby better! Get this... Don can just reach right in his cage and scoop him out, he can actually cup both hands on him and hold him tight to his chest and smother him (lovingly) with his hands and face!! Turn him on his back, etc! My first inclination is to tell him to stop mauling him like a Macaw, that Pionus don't like that, but I watch in sheer astonishment as Raven just let's him do all that!! He doesn't protest or anything! I wouldn't even think about doing that, but if I did, I'd probably come away bloody! To ME, Raven acts like a typical Pi and doesn't like to be touched. I think he just isn't really crazy over me, although I'm the one who feeds him and gives him toys! The nerve!

Can you guys believe that?! :shocking: Also, I asked Don today if Raven has ever bitten him and he said nope, NEVER! What's up with that?! Isn't that just amazing?

I've noticed that Raven has A LOT of tolerance toward Don, and Griffin his little Ruppell's parrot buddy. He hates Twigs the Budgie, and he thinks I'm "just okay". Robin we have to keep away.
Raven is very opinionated and clear on how he feels about each of us, and will let us know LOL! I love him anyway :) After all, he is MY bird!!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 09:32:19 AM »
Well I could do all those things with Nerd when he was alive too, and SOMETIMES I can get away with a bit of that with Lurch too. I only really mess with him though when I can tell he's calm and happy, otherwise if I push too far I get a growl or a warning nip.
I now can tussle Lurch and pat his head like a dog gently and he's fine with it, if I tried that early in our time it would be battle city and a attack.
Nerd loved me poking and patting and messing with him, I'd shake him around and he'd start happily chorteling and get all excited because daddy was paying attention to him and playing.
My Mom would sometime be there to watch and she'd be OHHH! Don't hurt your little boy, but then she'd see him all happy, unhurt, and unfazed.
I think they learn the way somebody likes to interact with them and if they trust them enough they decide that's how it is and get happy and do it back.
Lurch likes my sister too, BUT she is not the chosen one so she is expected not to directly touch him, she is allowed give him treats, let him happily sit on her knee and preen, and let him land on her shoulder when she's doing interesting stuff in the kitchen and share any goodies she's making and give him a drink of water while he's riding around :smallhug: :hbeat:.
My neck had a puncture and some skin scraped off but I'll live and it'll heal, and I think Lurch knew to some extent he did a bad thing so maybe next time he'll try a different tactic but we'll have our little tiffs again I'm sure... :o
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 10:47:46 AM »
I guess maybe I'm not his chosen one  :(. Brat! I'm the one who takes care of him.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »
I guess maybe I'm not his chosen one  :(. Brat! I'm the one who takes care of him.
No sorry, he have chosen your hubby. But I'm sure that he likes you as a slave.  :icon_mrgreen:  :wink1:

Sorry to read about your bite Terry.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 12:24:08 PM »
Thanks JT, it seemed way worse then it was anyways and he's back to happy again so it's all part of having a obstinate grumpy bird as a family member.
Gotta remember about those EEEVIL hats... :shocking:
And yes Raven has chosen but he still likes you, just not in a cuddly, do what you want, kinda way. Your more like my sister is to Lurch and I bet as you keep working with him he'll decide you two have some things that hubby is not allowed to do.
Lurch LOVES sharing sisters toast when she has breakfast on her weekdays off, I AM NOT the toast provider.
Nerd and Sister always shared breakfast then a very long or short after breakfast scritch, his choice. It was their thing together even though his world revolved around me. He knew when her days off were and waited impatiently for some grub, and even more for her to finish and get with the scratches :biglaughing: That was their thing and private time together and it wasn't my job.
SO keep working with him and he may pick a special thing eventually that is for you two only :)
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »
I think they learn the way somebody likes to interact with them and if they trust them enough they decide that's how it is and get happy and do it back.
Interesting... Possibly so!

Yes, I think Raven is to me like Lurch is to your sister. When we get a bird, and were not there to let them choose us, you never know. Like a blind date haha. Hopefully in time he will give me more of a chance.

Terry, I'm glad your neck wound isn't too severe  :)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 05:07:51 PM »
Thanks maxsmom :) A webinar sounds really convenient. I love that option. Unfortunately, I don't have a computer right now! I will be on the lookout for future ones, as I'm sure the biting is a popular topic.
Raven and I have actually come quite a long way since he was biting before. He hadn't done it in a long time, which is why I wasn't expecting it.

He's only a year old (at the end of the month) so I'm sure we're in for more biting challenges ahead!  :shocking: Soon... Don't Pionus usually display hormonal behavior at a little over a year sometimes? Well, I did want a male  :)