Author Topic: The "Warning Whistle"  (Read 3029 times)

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
The "Warning Whistle"
« on: August 14, 2014, 07:56:32 PM »
Butters does this, right before he looks like he's about to do his "Pionus Strut". I was laughing uncontrollably over something and he was laughing with at first, but then I must have made a noise that startled him because he did that really, really high pitched whistle and fluffed out his head feathers then splayed his tail out. I'm going to guess this is a normal pionus behavior?

And do any of your parrots like to switch up where they sleep sometimes? Because Butters isn't showing ANY signs of being sick, but he decided to sleep on one of his lower perches I don't usually see him on. He's also opened up more, being in my new house and he likes to whistle in the morning when he's still covered. I woke up to that this morning, he was doing his wolf whistle and the 1812 overture again. Haha.

Thanks. (:

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: The "Warning Whistle"
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 08:08:19 PM »
Nerd used to sleep in one spot mainly but he would change up depending on his mood, whether he was cold or warm, and where he got comfy.
Lurch so far likes the higher short cement perch and once he settles in it's always that high short perch. Maybe someday if we get some other perches or a better cage he'll try other spots. They can be pretty stubborn and opininionated so if he has a favorite spot fine, if he likes to switch up that's fine too.
Now if he does suddenly go low or somewhere he NEVER does to sleep and is fluffed up maybe he is sick. Nerd did that the last time he got sick and I knew something was off but he'd always bounced back and so I missed that he was truly sick till too late.
Sounds like butters is just being Butters for now anyways.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 05:33:54 PM »
Yes, Dob does a high pitched, longer whistle when he is anxious for something or sometimes before he nips.  I think of it as a warning bell.

Sleeping low is odd, I have not seen that before!

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 03:34:12 PM »
Thanks for your input guys! Sorry it took so long to get back and say anything. I moved, got two new jobs, found out I'm Celiac, and quite a few other things. Haha.

Anyways! Yes, he does it as a warning I've found, but also when he's sooooooooooooo excited he doesn't know what to do with himself, so he does it when he greets me after I've been gone all day. Haha. (:

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 07:50:44 PM »
Sounds like a lot of changes, how did Butters take it all? My birds loved my move last year *v* I'm celiac, too.

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 08:14:10 PM »
He LOVED the move! He's so much happier there and I don't know why. It's a smaller space but he prefers it. Haha. And yeah, I knew for a little while I probably was after thinking it was just an intolerance but I got the endoscopy done yesterday (but even before the doctor did it, he came in going "So! How does it feel being Celiac?" because he retested my blood levels and said that the results were 'remarkably, remarkably positive'. So I knew they'd find damage, which they did but nothing too bad). It's really sucky. Dx

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 12:52:31 AM »
If you don't have good wheat substitutes, pm me.  We can trade emails and ideas.  There are some good  pastas and even gf breads now.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 03:05:52 AM »
Oh I haven't experienced the whistle before the strut. Just the strut.  That is interesting
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 01:36:35 PM »
As he has gotten older, Dob does the whistle, the strut, and the head bob in different combinations.  This morning it was head bob and robot voice.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 02:39:02 PM »
As he has gotten older, Dob does the whistle, the strut, and the head bob in different combinations.  This morning it was head bob and robot voice.
Ohhhh, lots to look forward to
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 05:31:56 PM »
Oh I haven't experienced the whistle before the strut. Just the strut.  That is interesting

I know you got Charlie older, but you've seen Max do the Pionus Strut? How old was he when it first happened?

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 05:34:04 PM »
I have no clue how he was before this, because he's ten years old but I do know he likes to make different combos. It's really easy to gauge how and when he'll bite. He gives A LOT of warning now. Haha.