Author Topic: Anyone know what is he doing?  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Anyone know what is he doing?
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:52:01 PM »
I've never seen another bird do this. Sometimes Raven will do some super fast clucking (not very loud)... It's funny sounding. He does it when he has one foot up and like he's pushing Griffin with it, or like he's saying "talk to the hand". Does that sound familiar with anyone's Pi's especially if they interact with another bird?

Even though Raven and Griffin are buddies they bicker a lot, but with this I can't tell if he's "pushing" Griffin away with that foot, or if he's trying to mount him? I've seen birds mate, but I don't know how the male starts... do they step on the back of the other bird with one foot? His foot does touch Griffin, but he doesn't hold it still, kind of like he's pushing at him. Then again, when Raven really wants him to go away, he'll just make a raspy noise and they start beaking at each other, so I'm thinking it can't be that :dunno:

Offline E

• Nestling
Re: Anyone know what is he doing?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
I've seen birds mate, but I don't know how the male starts... do they step on the back of the other bird with one foot?
Yes! Sorry!  :icon_mrgreen:
The one foot is like asking if it is OK. Or just wait, stand still, here I come!  :shocking: :icon_mrgreen:
Your Raven is soon a male, Eloy was starting really early too. I think he was 1 year old the first time he ask me "if it is OK".  :rudolph1:

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 06:00:11 PM »
Yes! Sorry!  :icon_mrgreen:
The one foot is like asking if it is OK. Or just wait, stand still, here I come!  :shocking: :icon_mrgreen:
Your Raven is soon a male, Eloy was starting really early too. I think he was 1 year old the first time he ask me "if it is OK".  :rudolph1:

Oh no! I wonder if it's for sure that!  :shocking: Did Eloy make that real fast clucking sound too?

Offline Marisol

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 07:46:04 PM »
 Ohhh Taco was doing the same thing with a wooden toy he had, I promptly removed it. He was 'mounting' the toy, and trying to get..well..frisky? :embarressed: . At first I thought it was so funny to see, looked like a little chicken scratching and lifting his leg.. HA! Hopefully he wont try to choose your other bird as his 'partner'. That will open up a whole can of worms for you!.
 Gotta love this little guys!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 01:40:09 AM »
Yes Charlie does 1 foot move....poor dude.....the response is no way
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 01:43:56 AM »
Oh no! I wonder if it's for sure that!  :shocking: Did Eloy make that real fast clucking sound too?
Yes for sure. And Eloy did the clucking too after a while.
And that isn't so bad. It's what they do. :-)  But I hope Raven chose another partner.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 09:47:27 AM »
Thanks guys. So far it's not often, and there is no attempted copulation thank goodness! We'll see how it goes. Not looking forward to all the other things that come with hormonal males when he's older. Hopefully it will be mild, not crazy like some males we hear of.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 10:46:20 AM »
Hormonal males can be very nice too. ♥
Eloy are some days very sweet and some days I have to watch up and read his body languish very well. But he is not angry all days and 24/7.
And if I only let him be, and give him some own time-out it is always the best. But I never put him in his cage when he is angry.
I'm sure that you will do the best for Raven and time goes fast, and he will soon be 3 years old. LOL!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 10:02:29 PM »
They are more prone to unexpected biting during this time.  I do not let my zon near people when the clucking and stepping behavior occurs.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 11:37:05 PM »
They are more prone to unexpected biting during this time.  I do not let my zon near people when the clucking and stepping behavior occurs.

So the closely related zon does this too?! Raven's biting has come out of the blue unexpectedly WITHOUT any body language signs first. Is your zon like that during this time too?