Author Topic: Some things I HAD to share!  (Read 3780 times)

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
Some things I HAD to share!
« on: August 29, 2014, 03:43:38 PM »
I know it's been awhile since I've been on here, but I had to share some things!

Butterbean sings things that I've never heard him do, but ONLY when the door is closed and I'm not in there to watch him. He's shy! But yet, he loves to perform for me. He's finally started saying some of these things and singing some of them too, around me. Last night, he started saying, "Butterbean, Butterbean, BUTTERBEAN!" And he also says "Here, baby!" as well as other things that sound like actual talking that I can't quite place just yet. He's sooooooo smart, and I'm so proud of the little guy. (:

I am also trying some new foods for him. I've let him have some sugar snap peas and he absolutely LOVES them. He really likes any food that he can open and take apart to find the treasures inside. I also bought him some of Goldenfeast's Golden'obles and he just loves those too! I'm excited for his other food mixture to come from them too, because it is one of the ones that are all natural ingredients too (more so than the rest of their blends). I can't wait. (:

And after my horrible week, Butters tried regurgitating on me again as if to say "MOMMY I MISSED YOU NOW WEAR MY PUKE". Thankfully he didn't do it, because I had just showered... Usually I don't mind, but not when I'm squeaky clean. Haha.

He also likes Shake Your Tailfeather (ignore my horrible singing. Haha) :

Yet another video~

You'll find I love sharing videos of him, I can't help it. (:

P.S. that's not his usual cage as some of you know. I'm house sitting/dog sitting for my parents so that's his 'vacation' cage for now.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: Some things I HAD to share!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 07:37:30 PM »
It is wonderful when we get to see others' little sweeties!  I just love him!

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 07:41:55 PM »
Thank you! Hehehe. I love him too! He's such a little ham sometimes and this was just what I needed after a horrible week. (:

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 10:16:39 PM »
Although the Gold'n Obles are natural and high quality, they have A LOT of protein in them. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable feeding a regular amount to a Pionus. Maybe as treats? You can google it, or ask your vet, but Pi's are sensitive to too much protein and can develop kidney problems, and Gout.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 03:14:44 AM »
Great that Butterbean is eating snap peas! Lots of veggies are good.

I have heard too much protein is bad too from several sources.  My birds eat Caitec Oven Fresh Bites for pellets. Can't get them to eat other pellets. I try to get them to eat veggies for the other 1/2 of food for day. I let them eat several foods like eggs....may limit that with this reminder
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 11:57:43 AM »
Great that Butterbean is eating snap peas! Lots of veggies are good.

I have heard too much protein is bad too from several sources.  My birds eat Caitec Oven Fresh Bites for pellets. Can't get them to eat other pellets. I try to get them to eat veggies for the other 1/2 of food for day. I let them eat several foods like eggs....may limit that with this reminder

Yeah, I'm not sure how much protein is too much for Pi's. I'll have to ask my vet next time. I hope Harrison's lifetime formula is ok.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 02:38:15 PM »
I was told under 14-15% protein I think. The pellets my birds eat is 15%. : -(

Haven't been on forum a lot. Hope your dad or sick relative is doing ok, Julie
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 05:29:47 PM »
I was told under 14-15% protein I think. The pellets my birds eat is 15%. : -(

Haven't been on forum a lot. Hope your dad or sick relative is doing ok, Julie

Thanks maxsmom. Everyone is fine now :)

Harrison's lifetime (regular formula) is 14%. All the birds, even the Budgie, eat it like candy. They will choose over fresh foods AND even seed!

Offline MamaofaMaxi

• Egg
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 05:43:37 PM »
To be honest, it's really hard to tell what's right and wrong because each and every vet I visit has told me different things and then if you read online, different studies say different things. Unfortunately, it's pretty much up to you and what you think is best for them based on what your vet says and gut instinct because I have yet to have a vet tell me the same thing. They've all worked with birds and owned them, and had great success with what they were being fed. Some with all seed diets, some with all pellets, and of course, varied diets, so it's incredibly hard to tell.

I've had one vet tell me all pellets and fresh fruits/veggies, while I had one tell me mix in pellets and seeds with fruits and veggies... It's now just coming down to what I think is best. I don't do strictly the goldn'obles, though. I do that, a mixture of another food mix that has seeds, veggies and fruits, and then fresh fruit and veggies as we can't find any other pellets to get.

I'll have to look into others, though, but this is the one we just got for him. It's not the whole of his diet, though. (: And I'm planning on lessening how much he's given after we get the new food in. I do know about the gout and kidney problems, as I've read so much into pionus illness as I'm always paranoid. Haha.

Thanks for the opinions! (: And kind words!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 10:38:03 AM »
It's really not that much of a mystery  :wink1:

There are some things about food that is FACT - based on what nutrients are found in fresh plant based foods, it is pretty much unanimous that it is beneficial. Also, it is known that the better pellet brands are far more nutritious than just seed. An ALL seed diet has been proven to lead to obesity in pet birds, and is seriously lacking in essential nutrients.

Then there are some people's OPINIONS that you must have seed (with fresh food) instead of pellets. That's fine too if you choose to go that route.

The variety and amount of choices out there might be overwhelming, which is why I can see it might be a bit confusing. :-\ Grain mash, birdie bread, sprouted seeds, pellets, seed, etc. in addition to fresh veggies are only suggestions of what you can feed. YOU DON'T NEED ALL the foods mentioned above. They're just OPTIONS for variety.

Does that make more sense?

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 11:31:08 AM »
Adorable video! ♥

And about the food. My vet says that pellets is the worse thing you can give a parrot. (for several reasons)
They need varied diet! And that is what I believe too. To eat pellets it's the most not natural thing for them.
I cook to both Eloy and me 3 times/day, (and we are eating 4 times/day together) and in his cage he has 4 different seed/pellets mix, but he more playing with that food, because he prefer my cooking, and that we eat together.

And about protein. Eloy need protein and so does I. (I'm a trail runner) But.. When he is hormonal he gets smaller amounts.
We are eating 24H sprout every day, and that contains very high level protein. It contains 4 times more protein then eggs, just so you know.
So for you that give sprouts every day and don't think that it's high level protein, you got the wrong information.

I believe that a varied diet should contain protein, a lot of veggies and berries, and a smaller amount of fruit and carbohydrates.
And fresh dandelions, ground elder, blueberry bushes, branches and leaf from fruit and deciduous trees e.t.c it's important too.
And after that you can give your parrot small amounts of both seed and pellets.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 12:40:56 PM »
Not all pellets are created nutritionally equal though :) Besides most people don't feed only pellets and nothing else. Still, one of my birds has been on mainly Harrison's I hate to admit (for decades) since previously he didn't eat too many other things AND his feathers and bloodwork result was PERFECT for 20 years. I'm definitely not saying only feed pellets of any kind, :shocking: but just saying...  :wink1:

Does your vet have any concern over too much protein for Pionus? I've always read that it could cause kidney issues in Pi's. Obviously Eloy is a perfect picture of health though!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 01:28:01 PM »
Lurch eats Zupreem fruit blend, it's what the gal I got him from gave him and he likes and eats it, BUT he also gets Nutri Berries and just about anything we're eating and treats.
Nerd we gave a seed blend and Nutri Berries and whatever we were eating and veggies and fruits and things.
I think we did try to mix pellets in and we stuffed him with anything safe he would eat.
He was skinny but very active and lived many years with us.
Lurch likes apples and some veggies, Nerd more understood their wild forms so was better at eating things that looked the way he saw them in the jungle I guess. Sometimes he'd sneak up on something and chew through the skin and pig out where if you gave him a peeled slice he sometimes wouldn't touch it. :biglaughing:
Village Idiot

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 01:43:03 PM »
Does your vet have any concern over too much protein for Pionus? I've always read that it could cause kidney issues in Pi's.
No, only problems with hormonal things. And I agree. If your female lay egg you should also be very careful about protein and to much sprout seed and eggs.  But 14 or 15% isn't to much.
If they are moulting and are very active (like Eloy) you can give a lot more, because they need it and must have it for muscle sake.
And yes, if you look at Eloy you can see that he is healthy. (lucky me)

And I don't suggest to give too much protein, I suggest to give them a varied diet that contains protein. Like sprout seed for an example.

About pellets:
Pellets containing additives, and not everyone has good nutritional value.
And it's very unusual for a bird to not get their food scale. It's what they do in the wild.
My Vet says that many diseases a parrot can have including feather plucking may come from a poor pellets diet.
I have had one rescue parrot that stop feather plucking when I got her and change her diet. She was on 100% pellets before.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 02:11:05 PM »
Mine really do not like pellets, and I have tried for extended periods. We still offer them, but  I really concentrate on red veg and vit D, since those are some of the most effective in preventing deficiencies in the absence of outdoor time in the winter. Dobby has shown a preference for people food in the last year and I am battling that by fixing big salads and watching his disapproval when he steals some.  :wink1: My zon eats less these days but loves starchy veg and bread.  The sennie eats everything, and that includes the hand that feeds her!

Does anyone else hide while they eat certain foods, so the bird does not yell for it?  We have to have grilled cheese sandwiches after they go to bed, or while they are outside.

They do have their own tastes and it is hard to try to influence them. Ours also go on binges with certain foods, like a child, when something tastes very good to them.  Mine love cherries and blueberries, and when they come in season, it is hard to get them to eat other things.

All we can do is try, and the protein question comes up so often, I am unsure how to address it. Especially when I find them stealing a piece of dog food   :shocking: