Author Topic: training break through with Charlie  (Read 3291 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
training break through with Charlie
« on: September 23, 2014, 06:49:42 PM »
He did a turnaround for a treat! For almost 2 years he has watched Max do a turnaround for a treat and when I would try with him....his reaction was sorry you are crazy. But he did it three times tonight. Not trying further tonight as I do not want to annoy him but it is another training step in right direction.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: training break through with Charlie
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 10:06:19 PM »
Funny how sometimes they just surprise you with something new after you figure they are doing as much as they have decided to. :icon_mrgreen:
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 12:20:55 AM »
That's great to hear that time and persistence payed off. It feels good. I have to remind myself of that, as I'm usually impatient with things.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 01:47:04 AM »
Congrats! ♥
They are so smart and Eloy loves to do trick. At the moment he can do 26 different trick, and now I run out of fantasy.  :headscratch:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 03:44:53 AM »
Thanks all. It is small potatoes but also big potatoes, if you know what I mean.  Lots of joy in developing a relationship

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 03:46:15 AM »
JT - 26 TRICKS!!!!!! Beyond wow@#! Eloy is pretty special

Julie - Way to go with your number of.posts. You haven't been here long but you sure have made a presence. This forum is great in that the culture is pure sincere interest and joy in pionus

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 01:13:55 PM »
Thanks maxsmom :). I'm glad we have this forum since there really are a lot of ways that Pionus are unique from other species. I've fallen in love with Pionus!

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 11:21:49 AM »
JT - 26 TRICKS!!!!!! Beyond wow@#! Eloy is pretty special
Thank you! ♥ But to be honest I don't think so.
I said it before and I say it again. A Pionus IS a perfect parrot.
They are smart, playful, loving, easy to read, and accept things well if you guide them in a helping and loving way.
And they are independent and can play on their own. 

I'm also in love with the Pionus parrot! ♥♥♥

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 12:38:03 PM »
The longer I have a Pionus, the more I appreciate their characteristics. :) Even though Raven isn't as friendly to me (as my late female was), I still think Pi's are about as close as perfect as it gets! Really pretty easy compared to other parrots their size.

My other faves Poicephalus are independent, cuddly, resilient and quiet, but the drawback is that their body language is a lot more subtle and hard to read, and even a well trained Poi tends to be naturally nippy and communicative with the beak, and also quicker to place a hard bite than a Pionus.
One GREAT thing I noticed about PIONUS is that they are not nippy by nature (calmer not as fiery), and when they do bite it is more deliberate and not impulsive. Easier to read too. Not being unnecessarily nippy is one BIG plus with Pionus.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 01:16:24 PM »
I  feel the same way about pi's, but don't tell my zon!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 12:39:58 AM »
I like pi but I am clearly still learning the ropes. I need to spend.more time training.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 11:07:48 AM »
I  feel the same way about pi's, but don't tell my zon!
:biglaughing:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 02:39:39 PM »
Charlie  ran over to me and did the turnaround  without instruction!!!! He got his treat. What a smart boy....treats are powerful apparently

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 02:55:06 PM »
Charlie  ran over to me and did the turnaround  without instruction!!!! He got his treat. What a smart boy....treats are powerful apparently
Good boy Charlie! ♥
IMO I believe that they really like doing tricks because they like to be a good boy. (or girl) And when Eloy handle a very good or hard trick I get over exited in my voice and he loves that and get so happy.
I started to train Eloy when he was 12 weeks old and he has like it from the start.
And Pionus like their treats too. LOL!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 05:09:50 PM »
Yes, any bird lucky enough to be trained from 12 weeks is being trained to have a wonderful  well adjusted life.

I am hoping Charlie  will bond with me more and.let his defenses down and welcome love. He and I have years to break through his barriers.  I think the treat simply has high enough value to entice him and he.has been watching  Max do the turnaround  like there is no tomorrow  for 2 years.