Author Topic: Re - introduction!  (Read 4269 times)

Offline Fuzzy

• Egg
Re - introduction!
« on: October 04, 2014, 09:20:07 AM »
Hi All  :hello1:

It's been a while so I thought maybe I should post an intro.  Some of you I hope will remember me - I was happy to see lots of names I know and recognise.   :cheerleader:

Our flock has expanded since I was on here last: 

There's Kobe the Blue-headed Pionus - still as naughty as ever getting into everything he shouldn't.  He's nearly 7.5 years old and I've had him since he was a baby.

There's Ollie the Orange-winged Amazon who has made tremendous progress since I offered him a home just over 4 years ago.  He's about 11 years old and was cage bound for the first year and a half.  He had been diagnosed with Aspergillosis, sinusitis and Vit A deficiency but the vet said a few days ago when he saw him that he might have beaten the Asper due to his outwardly bouncing health!  This bird doesn't stop playing!  He's still afraid/unsure of most people but is ok around me.   

Then there are the newbies who both arrived on June 21st of this year:

Chico the Panama Amazon who is at least 48 years old.  He has arthritis in his legs which the vet thinks is affecting the nerves running into both feet.  He can't use his feet properly.  I was told he hated women so I was determined to prove that label incorrect.  He asks for skritches from me now.  :icon_mrgreen:  He is also partially blind and Vit A deficient.  He was going to be euthanised as his owner (the grand daughter of the original old couple who had him) didn't want him any longer but was saved by a friend of mine.

I was asked at the last minute if I would be willing to take on Bobbie the Red-lored Amazon who was unwanted by a girl who had taken on too many parrots.  I thought he might make a good friend for Ollie so I said yes.  Bobbie is thought to be about 13 years old and although fully flighted needs to learn how to fly again since he's been stuck in a cage for some years.  I'm his third home as far as I know.  Bobbie's recent blood panel showed elevated levels of total calcium more commonly but not exclusively seen in hens... so he might be a girl after all.  His head and beak certainly look more refined and narrower than the rest of the boys, but I am not familiar with his species - it might be a species thing.

We live in London, UK and will be moving to Jersey, Channel Islands after Christmas.

Roz

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Re - introduction!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 10:27:52 AM »
Hi Roz,
 I've been a regular here just since December, but I've been 'familiar' with your postings about Kobe on other places on the internet that I've come across :) Blue Headed are absolutely stunning! Your flock is beautiful, and I think Red Lored zons are gorgeous especially in person.

My Pi is a male Bronze Winged named Raven. I had a female who died in 2006. Love the BW's. I also have a Red Bellied parrot who I've had for 20 years, a Ruppell's parrot, and a budgie.  :)

Welcome back!

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 11:15:38 AM »
Hi Roz! ♥ Welcome back!  :hello1:

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
Hi Roz, glad to see you back here and posting, though by just typing this I was landed on and corrected in the neck by Lurch :shocking: He's now having some quiet time on the chair in the living room :thdope:
 :hello1: :thumbsup:
Village Idiot

Offline Fuzzy

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 06:34:53 PM »
Hi Julie - great to meet you and your flock.  I  :hbeat:  Bronze wings!  Looking forward to learning about Raven.  Very sad about your female.  Also looking forward to seeing your two Poicephalus parrots and budgie.  Have a soft spot for budgies too.

Hi Eloy - I know Eloy well!   :icon_mrgreen:

And another familiar face in Dartman!  :hello1:  Yikes - leave your Dad alone Lurch!  No more attempts to impersonate a vampire.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 11:25:03 PM »
!!!Roz!!!

More and more I think I have some weird superpower, since today I was trying to remember your name.  Ollie and Kobe came readily to mind, but human names elude me    ??? ???

Well, please post about your recent adventures.  How have Ollie and Kobe been? I have begun to put things on high shelves for Dobby, remembering Kobe's shelf adventures    :clapping:

It would be wonderful to hear the stories of your new babies, do regale us!

If you are comfortable, please tell why the Channel Islands.  I love a good saga, and may not be finished with my geographical story. Consequently, others' stories are of great interest.

So very good to hear from you!!! :cool1:

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 11:57:31 PM »
I've always loved Bronze Winged Pi's. After Adrion passed, I didn't get another Pi right away. By the time I went looking for another one, BW's were really hard to find for some reason. Finally found "Mr. Cranky"  :). Raven is a bit over 13 months old and is a really late bloomer as far as molting goes. He's molting slowly and is still mostly baby colored yet. By the same age, Adrion had much more blue already. Raven is much more temperamental and particular with me and not real easy going like Adrion was. Maybe it's also difference between male and female? Although Raven tends to be more uptight with me (his owner  :shocking:), he's so gentle and easy going with my husband and my Ruppell's who is his best friend. He's also pretty tolerant of my Budgie. My old Red Bellied doesn't seem to like other birds, so I try to keep them away from him so he won't get upset.

I read somewhere (a while ago) on another forum you're on, I think if I'm remembering correctly, something about how Kobe had learned his boundaries (had training) as a juvenile, so when he became mature, he remained a good pet. Did I remember that right? I hear stories about out of control hormonal males that sound like a nightmare. I'm just hoping Raven doesn't go "crazy" lol.

Offline Fuzzy

• Egg
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 07:48:46 AM »
!!!Roz!!!

More and more I think I have some weird superpower, since today I was trying to remember your name.  Ollie and Kobe came readily to mind, but human names elude me    ??? ???

Well, please post about your recent adventures.  How have Ollie and Kobe been? I have begun to put things on high shelves for Dobby, remembering Kobe's shelf adventures    :clapping:

It would be wonderful to hear the stories of your new babies, do regale us!

If you are comfortable, please tell why the Channel Islands.  I love a good saga, and may not be finished with my geographical story. Consequently, others' stories are of great interest.

So very good to hear from you!!! :cool1:

Hi Ms Superpower Momazon!!!  :muhaha:  I know what you mean about human names - I'm guilty of that too!

Kobe and Ollie are very well thanks - about to shower Kobe right now since I need to vacuum (and the vacuum turns him into shower mode!).  Will have to post separately under the right categories about their adventures.  So Dobby is beginning to have great shelf adventures too?  :clapping:  Go Dobby!!  :cheerleader:

Ahhh the Channel Islands.  I lived and went to school there from age 7 upwards and my parents still live there.  My mother is going downhill with Alzheimer's and my poor father is finding it increasingly difficult to cope with her.  So my brother and I decided it would make more sense if I went back to live there.  Been looking for a house since October last year but none suitable with the right flying space for the parrots.  We at last found one that had been taken off the books temporarily and is almost ideal.  The owners officially accepted our offer on Friday!  WooHOOOO!

:pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant:

I'm looking forward to going now and giving up teaching garden design.  I wanna concentrate more on animal/parrot behaviour which is online so that will be unaffected.  :thumbsup:  Plus I will have a proper garden to grow veggies for the parrrots!!!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 08:26:31 AM »
Sorry to hear about your Mom, my step Dads mom went through it and it put the family through hell trying to care for her. Great news that you've found a nice house close by so you can help :icon_mrgreen:
I bought this house 2 years ago now and it's been great to finally be able to do what I want and have a lot more house and space then before, too bad my yard and lot are smaller but it was all redone and move in ready and affordable, which was important. Don't think it ever came up whether you owned your old place but hope closing and all that goes quickly so you can get all moved in and settled, that'll be fun too ::)
Good luck with everything and keep us up to date :bighug:
Village Idiot

Offline Fuzzy

• Egg
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 08:30:02 AM »
I've always loved Bronze Winged Pi's. After Adrion passed, I didn't get another Pi right away. By the time I went looking for another one, BW's were really hard to find for some reason. Finally found "Mr. Cranky"  :). Raven is a bit over 13 months old and is a really late bloomer as far as molting goes. He's molting slowly and is still mostly baby colored yet. By the same age, Adrion had much more blue already. Raven is much more temperamental and particular with me and not real easy going like Adrion was. Maybe it's also difference between male and female? Although Raven tends to be more uptight with me (his owner  :shocking:), he's so gentle and easy going with my husband and my Ruppell's who is his best friend. He's also pretty tolerant of my Budgie. My old Red Bellied doesn't seem to like other birds, so I try to keep them away from him so he won't get upset.

I read somewhere (a while ago) on another forum you're on, I think if I'm remembering correctly, something about how Kobe had learned his boundaries (had training) as a juvenile, so when he became mature, he remained a good pet. Did I remember that right? I hear stories about out of control hormonal males that sound like a nightmare. I'm just hoping Raven doesn't go "crazy" lol.

BW are hard to find in the UK too.  Maybe Raven will have his adult colours by Christmas?  :treelit:

Haha - animal dynamics!!  Kobe doesn't much like the other birds although as a baby he used to get on very well with my Budgie, Boo.  When Boo sadly died I decided Kobe should have another birdie friend to keep him company when I was at work.  Was hoping for another budgie friend, but Ollie turned up.  Well Kobe hates Ollie and what started out as ignoring him turned into attacking every time Ollie tried to befriend him.  Ollie learned to keep his distance.  Which was the reason why I asked a friend to keep a look out for another Amazon friend for Ollie.  Chico and Bobbie turned up, but Ollie doesn't want Bobbie to come too near to him.  Sheesh!  I give up!  I know now that Kobe would probably rather be an only bird... but he's stuck with three friends and me! 

Kobe did have some training as a juvenile not so much to learn boundaries, but so that we could get on without him biting me!  Kobe was my first bigger parrot and I was worse than useless at reading his body language which is why I used to get bitten.  He started my quest into learning about parrot behaviour ie. positive reinforcement training.  He wouldn't step up for me and would get very aggressive.  The answer was simple - don't force him but make the step up worthwhile to him.  I don't force anybirdie to do anything.  Kobe steps up now because he gets carried to the window first to oooh and ahhhh at the outdoor birdies.  He goes into his cage happily because his breakfast is waiting for him.  The reinforcement for going into his nightcage is a lovely piece of almond.  I have taught Ollie who was terrified of everything to step up on a hand held perch, to show calm body language when I cut his toenails and to enter a travel cage - all for pieces of cashew.  The newbies have already learned to target the end of a chopstick.  It's so great when they "get it" - if I touch the end of that thing then I get something lovely like a treat or a scritch!  That person who brings the treats must be good too! 

Hormones or no hormones, the principles of positive reinforcement training are the same.  The animal will choose to do the "correct" behaviour if the consequence is more worthwhile to them than for doing the "wrong" behaviour.  Right now I am making it more worthwhile to Kobe to play elsewhere than to fly to attack Ollie.  :thumbsup:

Offline Fuzzy

• Egg
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 08:42:26 AM »
Sorry to hear about your Mom, my step Dads mom went through it and it put the family through hell trying to care for her. Great news that you've found a nice house close by so you can help :icon_mrgreen:
I bought this house 2 years ago now and it's been great to finally be able to do what I want and have a lot more house and space then before, too bad my yard and lot are smaller but it was all redone and move in ready and affordable, which was important. Don't think it ever came up whether you owned your old place but hope closing and all that goes quickly so you can get all moved in and settled, that'll be fun too ::)
Good luck with everything and keep us up to date :bighug:

Thanks Dartman!  Sorry to hear about your step Dad's mom and how difficult it was for the whole family.  My mother refuses to have any outside help and my father, so as not to rock the boat does what she wants... although she thinks she's living in a hotel most of the time, and that the staff are stealing things from her (she's obviously misplaced them).  Andrew, my bro, says it's like a madhouse there.  Hopefully through joking and laughing with her if she is still responsive to that I will be able to get her to do things like eat correctly and take her mind off other things.

I remember you moving, Dartman.  Glad you have more space where you are now, but sad your yard is smaller.  I have to say I am not looking forward to travelling with 4 parrots on the long journey to the port and then the ferry crossing.  Bleah.  But we'll get through it somehow.

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 10:01:59 AM »

I looked up where you are moving to,  I could just imagine you will have your hands full with the move.  I hope my hubby or I never end up with Alzheimer's.  I feel for anyone having to go through it or to take care of someone with it. 

I'm glad you are doing well though and your birds are thriving!! Looks like you might end up owning a different specie of Amazon if you are not careful!! LOL!
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 12:45:10 PM »
Hi Roz
Glad to hear your updates and I am sorry about your mom. My mom passed away in July and she had Alzheimer's, the last 4 1/2 years after my dad died she went downhill and the last year it was difficult. Glad Kobe is doing well and Ollie is better. Adam, my blue head can be quite demanding at times, his newest thing is he will fly over to Chante's cage to play but when he gets tired will just look at me pathetically until I have him step up and carry him back to his cage. He is perfectly capable of flying but why should he when he has a chauffeur? And Chante, the bronze wing is going to be 3 in November and is a typical 3 year old >:D 
Best of luck with your move and dont be a stranger here or on Facebook
Nancy

Offline Fuzzy

• Egg
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 01:22:17 PM »

I looked up where you are moving to,  I could just imagine you will have your hands full with the move.  I hope my hubby or I never end up with Alzheimer's.  I feel for anyone having to go through it or to take care of someone with it. 

I'm glad you are doing well though and your birds are thriving!! Looks like you might end up owning a different specie of Amazon if you are not careful!! LOL!

Hi Jan!  :hello1:  I know - I pray I don't get it - I can't - I have too many parrots to look after!   :wefly:   Have to say I do like those Amazons!!   :icon_mrgreen: 

Yep Jersey is a tiny island in a bay of France.  You can see France on a good day.  Have to say I am really looking forward to living somewhere where the air is clean.

Offline Fuzzy

• Egg
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 01:29:20 PM »
Hi Roz
Glad to hear your updates and I am sorry about your mom. My mom passed away in July and she had Alzheimer's, the last 4 1/2 years after my dad died she went downhill and the last year it was difficult. Glad Kobe is doing well and Ollie is better. Adam, my blue head can be quite demanding at times, his newest thing is he will fly over to Chante's cage to play but when he gets tired will just look at me pathetically until I have him step up and carry him back to his cage. He is perfectly capable of flying but why should he when he has a chauffeur? And Chante, the bronze wing is going to be 3 in November and is a typical 3 year old >:D 
Best of luck with your move and dont be a stranger here or on Facebook
Nancy

Hi Nancy - good to see you too.   :hello1:  I'm sorry your mom passed away and even sorrier that she had Alzheimer's in the last 4.5 years of her life. 

Ha - Adam isn't stupid is he?!!!  :haha: :haha: :haha:  Glad he and Chante are doing well.  Wow - Chante will be 3?  Time flies!!  I know what you mean about demanding - Kobe is more demanding than the 3 Amazons put together.  :haha: