Author Topic: Need a friend for my Blue-head, will a Bronze winged be okay?  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Zepticon

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Need a friend for my Blue-head, will a Bronze winged be okay?
« on: October 30, 2014, 10:40:50 AM »
So, basicly im wondering if a Blue-head and Bronze wing will be good buddies. I know it need to be a personalidy match, but will they think they are the same specie if i get one of each? :)

Offline E

• Nestling
Re: Need a friend for my Blue-head, will a Bronze winged be okay?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 12:09:12 PM »
I think that it will be fine. All Pionus are better to have together then to have them with another parrot if you want them to interact.
They are not 100% the same, but they have the same body languish.

Good luck! :)

Offline Zepticon

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 12:38:34 PM »
I am guessing another blue-head would be optimal, but here in norway, pionuses are a rare breed, and with few breeders its hard to find non-related birds.
And i dont want them to be related even tho im not planning on breeding them:)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 05:58:11 PM »
I agree it is optimal to have another Pionus (any kind) with your Blue Headed.

My Bronze Winged is best friends with a smaller African species, so obviously it doesn't have to be a Pionus or any certain kind of Pionus, but if they see their own kind they probably identify with it right away. They speak the same language  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 06:26:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum!!  Well, you never know how two birds will be with each other but if introduced properly, they could become great friends and even if they don't end up in a close relationship to one another, they are still company for each other.  Yah, I think birds know if it is their own specie or not just like how they know who is male or female sort of thing!
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Zepticon

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 07:46:14 AM »
Welcome to the forum!!  Well, you never know how two birds will be with each other but if introduced properly, they could become great friends and even if they don't end up in a close relationship to one another, they are still company for each other.  Yah, I think birds know if it is their own specie or not just like how they know who is male or female sort of thing!
Thanks :) I used to be a member on the old forum, but i havent been visiting for a while unitll now, when i am considering getting another Pionus to keep mine company.
I also just ordered the book you recomended in the header :D

But to the question, my options are to find anohter Blue head, that is not related to mine. I think there are two or three breeding pairs of Blue heads in Norway, so it should be doable, but time consuming. I would prefer to get a 3-6 year bird who needs re-homing rather than a chick from a breeder. I dont have have space for two cages long-term so they will have to live together, and that means they should become a match pretty quick.

And then the question, would a bronze be as optimal as a blue... And i guess from what you are saying, i should wait and try to find a blue, and see if they are a good match :)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 06:03:23 PM »
I feel it has more to do with the individual than the kind of Pionus. Also varies with male or female. Do you have a male or female now? Seems like female Pi's tend to be more gentle. I had a female BW 9 years ago who is over the rainbow bridge now, but she was so much nicer of a pet than Raven my male BW.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 02:11:10 AM »
I think two compatible birds will be happier than one.  My own experience is that my adult amazon fully accepts our pi because she "helped" hand feed the pi, and has learned not to bite him.  She head butts him off her perch or climbs toward him, and he flies off.  They do not share a perch or cage, though.  Maybe two pi's would be friendlier if a very young one was brought in? Not sure how easy it would be to assure two adults will be cagemates. Please keep posting, your situation is interesting!

Offline Zepticon

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 03:17:36 AM »
I feel it has more to do with the individual than the kind of Pionus. Also varies with male or female. Do you have a male or female now? Seems like female Pi's tend to be more gentle. I had a female BW 9 years ago who is over the rainbow bridge now, but she was so much nicer of a pet than Raven my male BW.
I have a male now. BUt he is my first parrot so i dont have any meassure of his gentleness or anything like that.

I think two compatible birds will be happier than one.  My own experience is that my adult amazon fully accepts our pi because she "helped" hand feed the pi, and has learned not to bite him.  She head butts him off her perch or climbs toward him, and he flies off.  They do not share a perch or cage, though.  Maybe two pi's would be friendlier if a very young one was brought in? Not sure how easy it would be to assure two adults will be cagemates. Please keep posting, your situation is interesting!
Yeah, i also think that he will be happier with a friend. The situation is "interesting" as you say, because on one hand, having two individual parrots are out of the question, but if they are a pair that would be ideal. So its a bit of a predicament.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 07:08:32 AM »
I know two BH breeder in Sweden.   :hello1:
And Denmark also have BH breeders. But they are often aviary birds and not tame.
PM me if you want name and phone-number.

Nice with a member from Norway!  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 12:44:14 AM »
I have had good fortune with two pi of different species as has another member here. They keep company well. They are 8 years part in age and both are male. They preen everyday and fight too - I keep my eye on them but they keep good company. Best wishes.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto