Author Topic: rehome a sennie?  (Read 4614 times)

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
rehome a sennie?
« on: October 13, 2014, 03:04:39 PM »
Jan,

Is it okay to post here that my daughter would like to rehome her sennie? If not, please remove this.  I was not sure if I should post in the rehome section, or Other Species, or not at all. We paid for her to get her in a better place, but we are not the perfect spot for her.  We are her second home, and she is five years old. She is very charming in all the sennie ways, rolling on her back and wanting you to tickle her feet, bathing and talking, etc.

I have a tough time passing a bird along, as they seem to bounce from home to home, but over the years there has been a macaw, an inbred 'tiel, and a grasskeet that we had to place with more suitable homes. If the perfect place does not come along, she can stay with us, as she gets an excellent diet, lots of foraging and toys, and really loves to taunt the dogs.

We are in Washington and would prefer not to ship.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: rehome a sennie?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 08:40:26 PM »
I know we feel bad when having to rehome, but I also know that sometimes it just isn't a good match. I've had to do it several times also, even after researching, and not buying on impulse. Still, sometimes it's just unforeseen.
Of course we always go into it thinking they have a forever home, but I personally don't like to hear the phrase "forever home" with the attitude that there would NEVER be a situation in which they'd have to rehome. It's naiive IMHO when people think that. Many experienced owners know otherwise. Many times it's so much better for the bird!! Sometimes the bird picks who they like or don't like, or are better in a different environment. It's okay.

I know you have and will continue to provide her with the best life until her perfect home comes along.  :) Best of luck!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 09:32:28 PM »
Thanks for understanding, Julie, it is hard.  The post about the rehomed pi's today made me realize we need to rehome the sennie and just have New world birds, since they are the ones we fit with best.  My d has asked me to post a rehome msg for a long time, but I could not help but feel Sunny might go to a not-so-good place.  I would rather have pi's than anything. As for the zon, she stays.  We are like siamese twins lol

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 10:21:27 PM »
Siamese twins LOL :icon_mrgreen: (no emoticon for that one haha). That's why you're momazon!!

Looking back, I've mainly always had birds from the Old World myself. Still getting to know the Pionus  :wink1:
I'm glad Raven and Griffin are good buddies being species from very different environments, and different size as well.

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 07:01:54 PM »

Yes, this is fine!! Hope the Sinnie finds a great home!
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 10:52:20 PM »
Thanks, Jan, she is getting no takers, but is looking very happy here with lots of beings to torment.  That's okay, no new pi's, either.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 11:24:23 PM »
Last call for the sennie. She is not a happy camper and bites my ear every time she gets out for the last week or so. I need to feel more like a functioning human and less like sharkbait. I love her, but really, she needs a one bird home. She is so jealous of the other two parrots that she cannot control herself. Please let me know if there is anyone who can offer her human companionship without another bird to torment!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 09:31:48 PM »
Cynthia, I forgot if you said you had told members of your other forum(s)? Would you like me to ask some other bird people I know?

Interesting that you say she's that jealous. A girl who got her Ruppell's from the same breeder as I got Griffin from has a Senegal also, and last I heard she was having such awful jealousy problems with her Sennie that she didn't expect. Sounded like a complete nightmare.

I wish you luck again, and that you find the perfect home for her.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 10:58:09 PM »
Yes, Julie, I did cross post, and have not had a response. Apparently sennies in general are not bird friendly unless raised with the others. Female sennies (like some other species) will sometimes get so defensive that they will kill a male trying to bring food. You might already know this, but  I did not, and since she bonded with my daughter immediately, I assumed she would deal with her. Young adulthood is too hectic, though, and I cannot say I would have been any better at her age.

My real and urgent concern is for her to be in a home with an experienced sennie person.  She is female bonded.  She is flighted and will even attack the others through the bars if she is out. I am a firm believer in not clipping since a determined bird will walk, flap, and climb to attack. Of course, the new owner would make their own decision.

Sunny's only out time is after the others are asleep in another room. She cries a lot, but when out, is very cuddly and happy. she rolls on her back and loves to play.  She does get a very long shower every morning in the travel cage I use for her and Dobby when they shower, but she really needs a new home.

I would be very grateful if you checked with other people.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 02:01:01 PM »
No problem Cynthia. I will. Thanks for the information on Sunny :)

Are you asking an adoption fee?

You want the person to be able to pick up in person I think I remember? Washington, right? What part?

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 01:11:56 PM »
Sorry I have not been on much, have been dealing with other things.

Others have told me to charge a rehoming fee, and since I have always been on the receiving end of birds needing a home, I am not sure.

I am in NW Washington state, Bellingham.  We are 90 minutes north of Seattle, 20 minutes from Canada, 6 hours north of Portland. If the person googles driving time from X to Bellingham, they can gauge how far.  I would like pics of the new cage and home in general, and some information about the new home.  They must have previous experience with sennies, since we did with macaws, caiques, and New world parrots, doves, tiels, and budgies, but we were still unprepared for a sennie with an unknown past.

For the past couple of weeks I have been too tired to give her a separate shower, so for reasons of fatigue, I put Dobby in the travel cage, Pessa on top in her shower perch, and squeezed Sunny into a tiny travel carrier, the kind the bird fairs give to new budgie owners. She has to stand on an upside down spoon rest to stay up out of the puddle in the tray anf I thought she would not like that, but I was wrong.  Her carrier fit next to Pessa, who promptly put her back to Sunny, and Sunny did the same. They are housed tighter than a coed college dorm, and they all sit quietly and shower a long time, not looking at each other. None of these birds will allow another on their perches when out, so I find the whole togetherness-in-the-shower thing hilarious.

In teaching they say when you have a bad situation, just change one thing, like the seating chart.  Sometimes the behaviors change for unknown reasons. The first day of the "exhausted me" shower arrangement, Sunny stopped screaming for the rest of the day.  Now every day she steps up happily and does not scream.

Now, I am not saying the screaming part of the problem is fixed, and I am not saying it isn't.  All I am saying is she is quiet for now.  While I am still this tired, she does not get out time but she is not crying and biting. 

She still needs someone who can let her out more, but without screaming, I have significantly less stress, and that is good for now.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 11:12:51 PM »
Funny about the shower. My birds hate showers, but they are least likely to bite when in there even though they hate it. Imagine me standing outside the shower and my arm and clothes getting wet lol. I do hope things smooth out for you soon as possible..

I'll keep those points in mind when posting about Sunny. How old is she? I think it might be kind of hard to find an owner who has enough experience yet doesn't currently have a bird. I think if someone is experienced enough especially with the Africans, they'll know how to handle it in a multi or two bird home.

Those Pois do hate each other though. Griffin has permanently lost a toenail to Robin when he was just 10 months old which warranted an emergency vet trip. Then again the other day Robin tried, but thankfully this time it wasn't as bad. I was able to stop the bleeding with styptic at home, and part of the nail is still there. I had to clip Griffin's ONE flight feather that grew out on each side, which enabled him to fly to Robin's cage and harass him!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 10:14:13 PM »
We don't know Sunny's age or anything about her past. Not sure how many homes she has had.  Well, the NW parrots do have a very different personality than poi's. I think the length of winter here is a real shocker. In CA the heat was a limiting factor but the garden grew lots of foraging material.

You are probably right, a poi person might be more daring with out time.  We have only had one incident (Sunny ripping Dobby open the first time they were in the same room) and it really scares me since Sunny does not stop attacking once she begins. I am uncertain of the usefulness of this level of defensiveness, except to inspire Angry Bird games lol.

They showered happily today and spent the longest time outside yet this season. Maybe summertime will bring some happy surprises.  I appreciate your efforts   :ty3: 

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 11:48:24 PM »
I got one inquiry for Sunny so far, but they failed to read the part that they'd have to go to where you live. :(. He thought she was at my home (near him), even though I said in the first sentence that I'm advertising for someone else lol!

How's she doing? Hopefully the perfect person will come around soon. :)

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 11:02:31 AM »
Thanks Julie, can you put them in touch with me? We can be more flexible if it is someone from the online groups that I "know".  There was a lady in Florida I would have been happy with, but she had lost a bird and was not ready for a new one. I really appreciate your efforts. Sunny is enjoying being outside in the afternoons, yelling at the crows when Pessa and Dobby take a break lol