Author Topic: Question about Pionus molt into adult color  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Question about Pionus molt into adult color
« on: October 05, 2014, 05:11:35 PM »
So I had mentioned that at about a year old, Raven finally started really molting. I was wondering something about this FIRST molt into adult colors...

As we know, our birds molt seasonally usually a couple times a year. It lasts a couple months maybe, then stops. Does this first baby molt (color change molt) stop at some point, then continue on the next molt, OR do they keep on molting for as long as need be until the color change all over the body is all finished?

With other birds I just don't remember what happened, which is why I have to ask now LOL  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
Re: Question about Pionus molt into adult color
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 09:19:51 PM »
I believe it can take a good first and sometimes second molt to have full or adult coloring.  Like in White Caps, it can take a year or two for them to have their full white cap.  I know some Blue Heads that can take up into the 3rd year before they have their full deep blue on the head/chest.  You do not see too much differences with the Maxi and most noticeable with the Maxi is their beak changes by some and as well as the Coral Bill.  Did you know that Coral Bills have crème tone colored beaks when hatched?  At about 2-3 weeks old you can see their beak changing color with a very light reddish color and it deepens as the bird grows and by the age of 3-4 months it is pretty red with a slight black on the upper beak which the black goes away after a few more months. 

Birds do have a couple of times per year where they molt out more feathers than other times but really molting is a long process and they are continually molting out old and coming in with new ones... much like us with our hair.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 11:25:39 PM »
Thanks Jan, I thinking that it probably took a couple or few molts to get fully in color because I did remember that the Blue Headed takes several molts to get the really full blue. I guess I'm just anxious! I LOVE the adult color of the Bronze Winged, and don't so much like their juvenile color lol.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 11:57:08 PM »
Thanks, Jan...cream beaks in cb, wow....that is amazing regarding cb. From your description Charlie still sounds hybrid as he does have black on his beak....but he does look better these days.....appreciate info on changing colors
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto