Author Topic: just the girlfriend  (Read 1665 times)

Offline maddalena

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
just the girlfriend
« on: November 19, 2014, 07:22:42 AM »
i have recently entered in a relationship with a man who has a pionus. He lives in a warm sunny place, I live in the pacific northwest. He hopes to relocate here, but i have a lot of questions about his bird.
I want it to be safe and comfortable as well as happy. so I joined up here in hopes of finding this stuff out.

Offline maddalena

Re: just the girlfriend
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 07:45:09 AM »
the bird is about 10 years old and is a male bronze wing.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 08:24:12 PM »
Hello- Welcome. I am sure you will enjoy reading the threads here. Also consider buying Russ Shade's book featured in above banner
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:09:14 AM »
Greetings! Glad to have a new member. 

I live in the PNW, as does another member.  My pi has a heat bulb near his cage (not a light bulb, but the kind that heat a reptile cage) at night.  During the day he is in a window on a perch, or else flying around.  I keep the room the birds are in heated to around 65-68 degrees, at least.  It just depends on what the bird is used to, but in general, they need some heat in the winter.

Offline maddalena

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 07:42:37 AM »
thank you both. A heat bulb! that would certainly solve the problem (if there is one!)

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 08:24:36 PM »
They live in mountainous areas and in the wild can tolerate down to 40f. They have to be climatized to it though, if they suddenly get hit by cold when they been used to a nice warm area they'll have problems and get sick.
I used to keep our house at 60 or a bit lower at night and 66 during the day and Nerd bird did fine, never covered at night either.
As he got older I got him the heat rock thing just in case and he'd be near it some mornings, others he'd be fine and move away.
We had a female house finch we raised and she got a chill one morning after being used to a nice warm house and got a respitory problem that eventually took her out so we try to have a heat source option now to be safe.
Nerd made it 31 years here and now I have Lurch and he has the heat rock now. We also cover him at night but he was covered at his old home too so we continued so he had what he was used to.
If you want to keep the house cooler just ease it down so he gets used to it and get the heat rock thing. I live in the PNW too, Portland Oregon.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 11:00:48 PM »
Welcome, I too have a male Bronze Winged who's 15 months old. Had a female BW at one time too. Bronze Winged are my very favorite!

Over the time I have been on this forum, I noticed there were probably more BW's than any other kind of Pionus, BUT... the strange thing about that is, besides on this forum there are not very many Bronze Winged Pionus around in general. It's just a coincidence I think how they all ended up here. 

As mentioned by maxsmom, the Practical Pionus book shown at the top of the page, is an excellent source of all aspects of Pionus ownership. Many of us here have the book.