Author Topic: Alternate heating in emergency  (Read 1382 times)

Offline skip

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Alternate heating in emergency
« on: February 11, 2015, 07:07:47 PM »
With our old furnace, if the power went out, I could relight it and the burner would stay on. Although the blower fan wouldn't run, the heat would drift up the vents and keep the house about 65degrees. With our new furnace, if the power goes out, it cannot be relit until the power comes back on. What emergency, alternate heating would be best? I know that a kerosene heater would give off toxic fumes. Any other suggestions?

Skip

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Alternate heating in emergency
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 11:33:34 PM »
I used one of the Catalytic Propane heaters years ago when we lost power unexpectedly for almost a whole day during a ice storm. Nerd was here then and we also had a CO2 detector and a smoke detector. It was a small house and it had the place up to about 70 degrees when the small tank finally ran out about 8 hours after I fired it. The house had a lot of air leaks and it was supposed to be safe for indoor use but did have some warnings about being used in a truly confined almost air tight space.
Neither detector ever went off and Nerd was fine, but I would read up on them to see what the latest ideas are. We still have it but haven't lost power long enough to need to use it since then but Nerd seemed to be just fine with it and it wasn't right next to his cage either.
The one we have is a Buddy L I think and even had a small battery powered fan that really did help move the heat out and I believe it had a high and low heat setting but it's been a long time since I've looked at it.
I'm sure other folks will have better ideas, or maybe safer, but everyone survived and the house, at least the living area stayed comfy enough.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: Alternate heating in emergency
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 05:06:17 PM »
We have a fireplace, and put the travel cages near it, then sleep in sleeping bags on the floor near them.  I get up and put wood on throughout the night. Luckily it has only happened twice in the last year and one-half. The birds love it since they are within a couple feet of us and like watching the fire.