Author Topic: environment  (Read 1480 times)

Offline maddalena

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
environment
« on: November 19, 2014, 08:52:42 AM »
what are safe living temperatures for bronze pionus?

i have been searching on here and can't find anything, thanks.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: environment
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 08:38:20 PM »
Are you planning to house the bird, indoors or out?  Inside the bird will be fine at normal room temperature assuming the home is heated and cooled for the person's comfort level. I keep my heat in my home at 70. This presumes the bird is healthy. Watch for drafts and vents though
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline maddalena

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 07:41:42 AM »
the bird has always lived indoors so I assumed that we would keep him indoors.
In the winter I have always kept the house cool at night, but i can see that one of those heater bulbs would nicely do the trick.

thank you.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 11:19:45 PM »
Generally, what is a comfortable indoor temperature for us is comfortable for indoor parrots. Acclimatization to cooler weather is possible in a healthy bird. That would generally happen over time. Some parrots raised outdoors can stand (what I in S.California would call) cold!! They are acclimated to the temps. I know your particular parrot is an indoor bird, but just saying that what is comfortable is what they're acclimated to. So you see, the important thing to remember is that there is not a particular set temperature range (specific number) for parrots where if you go above or below the bird will perish. Experts say try not to have the temp change more than 10-15 or so degrees in a 24 hour period. That being said, I'm certain that at times, over the years, my birds did experience a greater fluctuation without ill consequence. Does that all make ssense? I hope it helps clarify that it's not like a tropical fish aquarium or some delicate amphibians that need to be kept within a specific range in order to stay healthy :).

Offline maddalena

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 10:37:36 AM »
yes, Julie,
excellent advice, thank you.  acclimatization! :D