Author Topic: Thanks for adding me!  (Read 3997 times)

Offline KBEquine

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Thanks for adding me!
« on: November 20, 2014, 01:05:56 PM »
I've had parrots since 2010, my first 'big bird' being a white capped pionus who I lost a couple years ago. Next week I expect to pick up a blue headed pionus girl who is looking for a new home. I was bidding on a Christmas stocking with a blue headed pionus on it on a different site and the other bidder [thanks Nancy!] told me about this forum.

This girl will either be the big bird in the little bird room [along with 2 linnies & 2 budgies] or the little girl in the big boy room [1 macaw, 2 amazons, one African Grey]. I'm sure she'll let me know where she is most comfortable.

Anyhow, I look forward to cruising the forum [but it won't distract me from bidding on that Christmas stocking!!!!!]

Kim

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
Re: Thanks for adding me!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 05:52:18 PM »
Hi Kim - glad to see you here. And I did win the stocking   :muhaha:  but Kim made me pay dearly for it, that is OK because all the funds raised go to help parrots in need, The same quilter also made a bronze wing stocking at my urging. I didnt see this until now because I was off on an adventure yesterday, see my post in the Dusky Pionus category :pinkelephant:

Offline KBEquine

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:57:16 PM »
Enjoy the stockings AND the new Pi - I pick my new foster [expecting the foster to fail & become permanent] tomorrow. After which I will be bidding like crazy on Pionus merchandise!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 07:04:07 PM »
Welcome! It is always wonderful to have a new member to the forum. We look forward to seeing pictures and hearing your pionus antics.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline KBEquine

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 07:33:27 PM »
I did pick up Cleo, a 10 year old female Blue Headed Pionus yesterday. She had a great home, but serious changes [including the death of one of her closest loved ones] forced her remaining human to look for a safe and happy home for her. She went to a friend who runs a private rescue and then came to me both because I love Pi's & because my parrots' lifestyle was close to the lifestyle she had come to expect. She was with her first humans for all of her 10 years. I will foster for a few months & then, most likely, will offer to keep her.

She has already told me some of the things she expects from her companions; I've told her some of the things I expect.

We are negotiating a settlement. but I'm pretty sure she will be staying.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 08:46:17 PM »
Good luck with Cleo :). She looks like a real sweetheart.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 03:53:17 AM »
She is really lucky to have landed with you.

I am not sure if what I was told about my pionus who is not in his first home is true. (Person from whom I got him was not truthful about a lot) But he may have had a similiar uprooting. Pionus are not supposed to be one person birds but they apparently have attachments and do not adjust well to losing a favorite person.  It seems under it all my Charlie wasn't very much someone's treasured pet even though he clearly ate junk food. He is very protective and not hands on now but I have chosen to give him lots of time to trust. I did not think we would make it in first 4 months as there was a tough adjustment period but he has been with me 2years. He lives a healthy life now with lots of toys and healthy food and has a pionus buddy. I truly believe with time and training he will decide to trust more. He has his moments when he just wants comfort from me.

I say all of this to say taking in a pionus who is upset about losing a home is a wonderful thing for you to do. With time the plucking will stop and Cleo will learn to appreciate that new can be good. I truly look forward to hearing more about Cleo. Sounds like you are a very experienced bird owner and know just what to do

Offline KBEquine

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 08:11:24 AM »
Thanks for the kind words & good advice.

My 1st 'big' parrot was a WC Pionus & I was at least his 4th owner, maybe more. He was a CL bird, but his prior owner really tried to get him to the right home & she & I are still in touch today [she was among the first to reach out after seeing my FB post on getting a new parrot]. The person she got him from called him 'grumpy' and he had failed as a breeder because he apparently didn't like other birds any more than he liked people, so he wasn't a sure-thing as a pet. But he and his prior-to-me human did well; he just didn't like her husband as much [or at all]. I was fortunate that he took to me or my experience with Pionus would have been completely different. So I hear what you are saying -

Right now I'm sitting in front of Cleo's cage in a rocking chair because she chose to not come out of the cage this morning to go to the playstand in the living room. Of course this is just Cleo's 2nd morning with us and so she does not know the routine [and when she learns it, there is no guarantee she will adopt it as her own]. BUT she doesn't want to be alone, either, with a loud-ish contact call when there are no humans in her presence. When I say loud-ish, the LAST foster we had was a true foster - not going to stay - and a cockatoo. So loud is relative. I can live with "Pi loud" but "'Too loud" really WAS too loud!

I don't know how her prior people got her out of the cage. I suspect they opened the door & she came out on her own & then they picked her off the side. They may have said something that was a cue to her, like 'Want to sit with Bob?" that told her what to expect [and that I don't know to do.]  She definitely spent a lot of time on a shoulder & that's what she wants.

That's the part we are negotiating right now. What will make her secure and happy that will fit our lifestyle, too.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 09:01:06 AM »
Charlie gets around using ladders that extend from cage or play station to floor. Charlie made a loud seal bark noise constantly for 4 months. I used positive reinforcement to stop the barking loud noise which I thought  I could never live with. Everytime he does something I like I reward him. If he barks there is no reaction then it stops and he does something that will get a reward. It got worse before it got better.

You are not quarantining?

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 10:49:26 AM »
Most of the regulars here know Lurches story, and Nerds Before him but he was in two homes before I got him and he loved the very old man at his first home as a young Maxi starting out. Old guy got dementia and went into a home and Lurch was pushed into a room and ignored because the old lady wife could not handle him. A bird hoarder lady got him because she worked at his retirement home eventually and he of course hated her and was mad at the world so she decided she did not have the time he needed while caring for 23 other birds.
She seemed nice enough and the house was warm and the birds seemed well cared for when I went to meet him after lil sister found him for me after loosing Nerd after 31 years together.
It was Xmas eve 09 and when she tried to get him out he rushed her and jumped out of his door and skittered across the room towards me so I leaned over and scritched him while he hid by me. She was amazed because he never let anyone touch him, plus I was telling her all the things I'd learned from having Nerd all those years so she happily sold him to me and I took him home.
He was doing good, getting a scritch under the chin, had a thought and tore a chunk off my scritching finger without any warning I could detect and I decided strangling him was a bad idea and realized we weren't going to be best buds right away after all.
It's been almost 6 years and we too are still reaching a understanding but he likes me and my sister now, he's happy, and any time I walk out of his sight he flies to land on me to see what I'm doing.
He of course has his pissy bitey moments, and we have to be careful about what we're doing when he's on a shoulder as he'll decide he wants what we are eating or wants attention and lash out, other times he just happily sits there and preens and nibble my ear but overall he's a great guy and opening up more and more, plus as a bonus he talks, though it has never been a requirement.
He now usually gives plenty of warning when he's upset so we can avoid bites and USUALLY doesn't bite as fast or as hard as he can when we miss the warnings as I think he truly has decided we are his family and he doesn't want to really hurt us now.
He has done the barking thing too and now he is mostly quiet except for normal pionus type noise but if he feels left out or wants attention he'll do it sometimes.
Good luck with her and I hope she decides you are a worthy friend right away but let her make the steps and you'll earn her love and trust, even if it takes a while, their idea of time is quite a bit different then ours :smallhug:

Village Idiot

Offline KBEquine

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 02:00:53 PM »
Thirty-one years is quite a long time to have had Nerd. I did not have my 1st Pi nearly that long & I was still learning things about him when I lost him. As Susan Friedman says, they are each a study of one, aren't they? So Cleo will be teaching me different, Cleo-specific things that I need to know.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 02:10:19 PM »
I am glad you have this sweet little baby, and do keep us posted!  It is wonderful to hear your story.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 03:07:02 PM »
YUP, they are all their own little individuals with similarities with each other at the same time. Nerd was reserved, small , and took a while to trust or play with things and made some unique calls and happy noises. Lurch is BIG, fearless, and is interested in everyone that comes over, at least for a fly by, and his noises are somewhat similar but his alone. He also has a creaky voice that sounds like a pirate when he talks. :biglaughing:
Nerd was my best buddy and it hurt to finally loose him but Lurch is happy and that makes me happy and we're good for each other, except maybe the occasional piercing :shocking:
Sounds like she'll have a nice flock to hang out with but be careful, Nerd hated the House Finch we rescued and raised and made it his mission to remove her from the earth one piece at a time.
He didn't succeed but she lost a few toes till we caught on they wouldn't play nice together. Post pics, we love pics.
Village Idiot

Offline KBEquine

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 04:19:06 PM »
When the time comes to see who plays nicely with who [meaning who can be in the same room, out of their cages but on separate playstands at the same time], we will be careful. This is not my first time adding a parrot to a flock, so I know not everything goes smoothly - but appreciate the reminder.

One of the reasons I was so slow to add another Pi was because while my WCP was the smallest of the big birds, he was the one most likely to start trouble with a bigger parrot, with my husband, with anyone who dared enter 'his' room. He was the one most likely to get put into birdie jail for his own good. And he didn't like the "littles" any better.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 07:43:58 PM »
Sounds like behavior of wcp male.....they can be pushy...
I love Maximus but he is pushy...I protect Charlie from Max....they are buddies and preen each other each day but they also fight each day. I keep a very watchful eye