Author Topic: Becoming territorial  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Becoming territorial
« on: December 10, 2014, 09:44:31 PM »
Well, not only is my boy Raven changing colors, but I noticed another recent change now that he's nearly 16 months old.

Raven has started to get "fluffy head" a lot. Accompanied by this is would be an open beak ready to strike if I got too close. He is too young to do the strut, but only does this fluffy head and face. You know what I'm talking about?
Raven was previously NEVER territorial about anything. I could touch even his 'intimate' objects like his food bowls and their contents WHILE he was eating. Just real recently he's changed all of a sudden, and he gets fluffed up if I even point to his veggies! :shocking: At least he knows how to use Robin's stick to step up on. I have a feeling I'll be using it in the future.

This behavior came about the same time as the new cage, but I think that would only be a coincidence. He is still not eating much of his vegetables ever since getting the new cage, unless I feed him pieces by hand. That is the other new problem. Maybe he just is slow getting used to it. Griffin (his buddy who is ALWAYS at Raven's house) is so extroverted it was no problem for him to adjust and take over the cage like it was his lol, but then he's not a Pionus.

Raven is also chewing wood like never before! He used to like wood toys every now and then, but this week he's even chewing his playtop perch! It's just a dowel type that came with the cage so no biggie, but it's probably gonna be gone before long!

Can anyone else relate to having a juvenile male Pi change like this all of a sudden as they were getting their hormones? Pretty soon my Raven will be a completely different guy!  :shocking:

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Becoming territorial
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 03:50:26 AM »
Yes, it is part of the experience with a young male. Let's hope it passes.

Max started strutting early. It is fabulous as it is a very clear sign to step back. Shame on me when I do not. When there is territorial behavior regarding  cage I distract him.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 11:41:50 AM »
Nerd was very territorial and he kept expanding his areas. Lucky for us he trusted and loved us enough he usually just fluffed and bluffed :biglaughing: Sister would get close to his favorite quiet Nerd time chair and he's reach over and pinch her leg or poke at her :shocking:
I could reach in if I needed to and he'd allow it, but not happily, because I was his best bud and chosen one.
Lurch will just plain bite or at least strike if we get to close to his house, he does the strut all the time and we leave him alone. Sometimes he even get possessive of his treat dish we keep on the back of the couch or decides we can't touch the food we are sharing together so we have to watch his mood and body language.
Sometimes when he's upset with me but not quite homicidal he'll make a big show of getting all fluffy and biting the blankets or towels protecting his favorite spots and I'll ruffle his head or try to lightly scritch him to short his pissiness out and distract him. Funny how most times he'll allow it while continuing to grumble and bite the blankets and be fluffy.
I have learned to be quick too as those snake strikes can hurt if he gets lucky.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 12:56:56 AM »
It feels better to know I'm not alone. He's not that bad yet, but I'll be prepared! Hopefully one day he'll be able to bluff and fluff and not bite every time.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 02:28:06 AM »
No you are not alone! ♥

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 12:51:42 PM »
No you are not alone! ♥

Good to have a network of other male Pi owners  :smallhug: