Author Topic: Happy New Year  (Read 3789 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Happy New Year
« on: January 03, 2015, 03:28:07 AM »
 :newyear:

A little late but there is still time to celebrate this time of renewal

I encourage all to set a new goal with their pionus parrots...introducing a new healthy food....shaping new bahavior....
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 06:08:39 PM »
Happy New Year to you, too!  Good idea to include fids in resolutions.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 10:14:47 PM »
Happy new year to you too.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 02:22:05 AM »
I just need to come up with my own resolution for each  :wink1:of them. Easier suggested than done

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 11:29:50 AM »
Ok, goals for my pionus.....go back to target training them both and teach the shake or the wave to Maximus and perfect the turnaround with Charlie.....actually with Charlie I need to work on his cues. Right now he gets a treat if he speaks and it prevents him from screaming....but he gets an awful lot of treats because he is in control of the cue. I need to change that so that I cue him. I am estatic that he knows not to scream if he wants treats so I will not be upset if we do not move much beyond this. Life has been good with Charlie since he learned not to scream

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 12:48:15 PM »
Lurch will still occasionally HONK really loud. Last time he was sitting there with me and got anxious and ramped up his noise till he ended up on his cage sounding like a donkey or something. I said FINE, I'M LEAVING and he flew right to my shoulder and rode into the computer room.
He started making very happy noises and preening, then started preening my ear and hair :-* Most times he gets upset something isn't going the way he wants and nips my neck and has bitten my ear :shocking: so that was a nice surprise :icon_mrgreen:
I'm not sure what his issue was that day but coming in here to hang out one on one by himself while I surfed made him happy and he's been pretty quiet and not too nippy since.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 04:16:33 AM »
So Terry, do you have any training goals for Lurch for the New Year?

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 07:09:36 PM »
Well I've been working on getting him to go in for bed without a battle, or go in when we need to leave for a while but he's stubborn and smart so the usual bribes and treats or praise isn't working. He does get tired and go in when He's ready but if he sees us coming he rushes the door.
If we wait till he's really comfy and settled he'll stay put, or turn off the lights he'll decide he'd rather stay put.
I have tried sitting down in front of his cage and that somewhat shorts out the must defend my house and not be made to go in. I give him treats and tease him with toys and sometimes I can get him to go in nicely, or gently nudge and block him through the door ::)
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 09:18:13 PM »
I need to work on showering so the indoor air is not dusty, and I HAVE to get my garden going this year. They really miss all the stuff I used to grow.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 04:29:37 PM »
Yeah, Charlie. He was receptive to turnaround practice today. A good sign for things to come in the new year.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 05:27:51 PM »
This year I'm just working on the bond between Raven and I. Don is his chosen person and he can do anything with Raven (you've probably seen pics of him cuddled in his cupped hands), where Raven is the opposite with me, and needs a treat bribe to even step up for me. It's so sad that he's like this, and he's my bird.
One thing I noticed is that Raven really enjoys talking to me. I can tell by his body language when he'd like me to come over and "talk". He wants me to keep my hands off, but just stand near him and talk to him. He is becoming a talented talker too. He is learning new words and phrases, and will now repeat after me a lot of the time. I'm happy that I found this way in which we can bond.  :)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 05:49:25 PM »
Sounds like your bonding is well on way. Training can help a parrot relate to you. The little training I do seems to improve  my interactions with Charlie...builds trust.

And do not sweat Raven choosing another mate....you can't change that....but I am  sure he likes you...the more positive reinforcement activities you have with him will help