Author Topic: Spreading Tail ?  (Read 3697 times)

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
Spreading Tail ?
« on: December 18, 2012, 11:11:24 AM »
Adam will look at me, make a couple of clicking sounds and spread his tail for just a second. Or if I come up to him and make a clicking cound back at him he spreads his tail, agian just for a second. Anyone know what this means?

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
Re: Spreading Tail ?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 12:18:12 AM »

Yes, it can be a form of excitement but comes with it can be agression ... a form of strutting especially if he starts walking back and forth while spreading his tail.  They can be known to bite when in this mode.  Learn his pattern on this and know when you can or can't mess with him!!
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:33:48 PM »
Nerd strutted like that all the time and you didn't want to touch him though I could if I was careful. Lurch would shred me if I tried.
Like said he might be happy to see you and excited but he also might get protective of his space and bite so be careful.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 09:01:22 AM »
I haven't seen it to my knowledge with my birds yet. But is that the famous pionus strut?  If you can catch it by photo or video, I would love to see it
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 08:45:54 PM »
Dobby does the clicking and kissing noises sort of as talking, but when he flies up on something and struts, he is looking for a dishtowel tug-of-war or someone to chase him.

Offline Fuzzy

• Egg
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 06:46:20 PM »
Kobe spreads his tail for a second when he's talking.  Or when I hand him a piece of almond in his night cage.  For Kobe it just means he's excited.

Offline luvbirds

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 09:27:43 PM »
Hi
With Xev and Holly they also crane their necks, fluff up with their tail spread and it means I'm ticked off, so back off or I'll bite you!