Author Topic: Goodnight  (Read 2268 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Goodnight
« on: January 16, 2015, 09:57:43 PM »
I settled my wild Maximus down to sleep. As I said Goodnight Good Boy, he responded I love you. When I first got him I said Goodnight mommy loves you when I put him ymto sleep. He often says mommy when I say Maximus to him....as I'd he knows each of our identities in context

Earlier tonight he told me he was a good boy to get a pistachio.

He warms my heart  :wefly: :smilie_bett: :hbeat:
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: Goodnight
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 11:36:51 PM »
Aw, that Maximus is such a sweet boy!  :heart: It's such a good feeling when you know that they know what it means too. Robin my Red Bellied says I love you at appropriate moments too.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 04:10:47 AM »
I think he understands context as I have said I love you when I put him to bed but I do not think he truly means I love you in human meaning. He just knows that positive reaction comes when he says it.

Offline Linda L

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
  • New Pionus Parent
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 05:36:46 AM »
Hello there I'm new to this forum and a new Grandparent to a 5 month old white capped Pionus his name is Kilo. I have had cocktail's but never trained them.   Would you be able to help me learn the ropes on the website and assist me with as much information as possible?

I was concerned up until yesterday and then I was so excited Kilo has been home for only 24 days he was biting and did not want us to bring him of cage, well I moved his cage that was in front of a mirror in the family room.  Yesterday morning when I uncovered him and opened his cage to feed him, he hopped off his perch and reached out for me and when I asked him if he want out he chirped and reached out his leg, he steps up on command but all day he was such a sweet loving cuddly Lil guy, that I though someone switched birds LOL.  Kilo is my son Jacobs bird but he decided that we would godparent due to his disabilities plus lets face it Mom is always the one who ends up stuck taking care of the pets.

Also I have two Lab rescues and need any suggestions about introducing them to Kilo.
Thank you so much for reading all of this and I look forward to your response :hello1:
my email is lmluechtefeld@gmail.com and I'm also on FB
Kilo's Mommy Linda

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 01:30:40 PM »

[/quote]

Yes, my zon says, "Love you love you" when I get the peanut butter out.  I know I'm being played but cannot help myself!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 02:45:32 PM »
Lurch will say Hello, hi sweetheart, tries to say I love you, and all kinds of mixed up words and phrases he knows when he gets excited when I first let him out or get home but he usually never wants to go to bed so most times he's scalding or complaining at bed time :biglaughing:
I think he knows some of the words mean a greeting so he uses them as such, plus he knows some get him a treat or positive reinforcement so he uses them to his advantage :)

Linda you might want to try the new member check in forum and start a thread with your question in the appropriate area so you can get more exposure and varied folks looking that might be able to help you out.
As far as Kilo he was new and unsure about his new flock so probably a bit protective of himself and his home, plus maybe seeing that other bird in the mirror all day MAY have upset him and now that you moved him and he's learned your routines, and the fact your not trying to hurt him he's calmed down and decided your worthy of interacting with and being a friend.
Lurch took 6 months just to come out of his cage, was scared to death, and would bite quickly and without any warning I could detect, now a mere 5 years later he likes us and loves to hang out and get scritches and treats. He can still be grumpy and nippy but he's learned we are friends so now he gives typical pionus warnings and doesn't usually try as hard when he's upset.
I would be VERY careful about introducing him to your dogs as sometimes they just react and it's too late for a little guy like him if they get lucky and catch him :shocking: I had a cat that never bothered my budgies just lash out when one flew by one day and hurt him badly enough to be put down and I know he normally wouldn't try to harm the birds but instincts took over when something flew close to him. :(
Good luck, and enjoy your stay.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »
I know, I know....they play on our emotions. They know just how to do it.

Yes, my zon says, "Love you love you" when I get the peanut butter out.  I know I'm being played but cannot help myself!
[/quote]

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 04:27:02 PM »
Welcome! I adore my wcp. I recommend The Good Bird Inc's and Behavior Works' websites for tips in training after he gets settled in. Settling in takes a while. Charlie, my coral bill, took 4 months to get over shock.  Target training is a good initial training activity. Good diet is also important - my goal is 50% pellet and 50% fresh food each day. I hope you enjoy the forum. Pionus are great pets.

Hello there I'm new to this forum and a new Grandparent to a 5 month old white capped Pionus his name is Kilo. I have had cocktail's but never trained them.   Would you be able to help me learn the ropes on the website and assist me with as much information as possible?

I was concerned up until yesterday and then I was so excited Kilo has been home for only 24 days he was biting and did not want us to bring him of cage, well I moved his cage that was in front of a mirror in the family room.  Yesterday morning when I uncovered him and opened his cage to feed him, he hopped off his perch and reached out for me and when I asked him if he want out he chirped and reached out his leg, he steps up on command but all day he was such a sweet loving cuddly Lil guy, that I though someone switched birds LOL.  Kilo is my son Jacobs bird but he decided that we would godparent due to his disabilities plus lets face it Mom is always the one who ends up stuck taking care of the pets.

Also I have two Lab rescues and need any suggestions about introducing them to Kilo.
Thank you so much for reading all of this and I look forward to your response :hello1:
my email is lmluechtefeld@gmail.com and I'm also on FB

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 10:24:49 PM »
Two nights in a row!

Me: Good night sweetie
Maximus: I love you

What I find neat is it is almost a conversation....although I know he is not a cockatoo with a large vocabulary having a full conversation and this is through repetitive interaction

But it feels neat anyway