The Wonderful World of the Pionus Parrot Species > Blue-Headed

Red Bands on Baby Blue-Headed Pionus

(1/1)

theworldneedsmorebirds:
I have been lucky to find a pair of blue-headed pionus that have given me 6 babies over the last 3 years. 1 the first year, 2 last year, 3 this year! (4 next year?).
4 of the 6 got red bands above their noses which goes away when they start getting the full blue head. 2 did not get this band and seem to have more outgoing personalities than the others. They are "pushier" at the handfeeding line up, but not what I would call aggressive.
I was wondering if anyone knew if this was an early visible sex difference that later goes away? I haven't sexed the babies because I don't want to take the risk and pain of taking the blood sample.
In the picuture are this year's babies; the two with the red bands are behind the one that doesn't have the band. They are about 2 months old in the photo. Are the babies without the bands males?

maxsmom:
I don't know that blood tests are risky. I also wasn't aware of telling sex by looking at them.

Only difference I know if is that females generally are sweeter in behaviour than males

E:
The red baby feathers has nothing to do with gender, do a DNA on a lost feather. No pain!
A girl is often both smaller and her head or more round, if you have both male and female you can see a small different  but a DNA is the only way to be sure. (But DNA are not 100% either if it's not with both blood and feather)

I know breeders that can tell gender, but they have been breeding for many years and they sometimes have wrong too.

momazon:
The feather test does not hurt, we just never did it. I know with amazons, the males generally have a slightly flatter head, as JT says. This was hard to see until my "princess" was next to "her" dna'd sister, whose head was very rounded, and the sister was much bigger.  With Dobby, our Maxi,  I do not see the degree of flatness on his head, and his body size is large. Since these are not the same species, but related, I bet the flat head thing is true, just maybe not so obvious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version