Author Topic: I'm new here!  (Read 3620 times)

Offline lisazeta

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
I'm new here!
« on: February 17, 2015, 10:00:35 AM »
Hello everyone! My name is Lisa and I'm so excited to announce that I'm adopting a 10 year old Blue Headed Pionus. :woohoo1: Before he comes home I'd like to get a few things situated for him. First of all, cage size question. I'm looking at a 24x22x63 Playtop.
Will this be a good size cage or should I get a bigger one? Can birds eat frozen Edamame (thawed out and no salt of course) I'll have pictures of him soon! Looking forward to having this little ball of feathers. :blink:

Parrot Cgae "Playtop" 24x22x63
Lisa L.
Bruiser and Ducati two spoiled Long Haired Dachshunds
**Soon to be BH Pionus :)

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: I'm new here!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 12:11:25 PM »
Hi Lisa welcome and congratulations!  :)

I think the cage is on the small side unless the bird is out and about most of the day. The next standard size up is 23x32, and should be fine for Pionus. Keep in mind, whatever size the cage is, once you put toys, perches, etc in there, it starts to get surprisingly crowded fast in a smaller cage, and will take up up much more interior space than you realized once you're done!

Raven is in a bigger cage, but he would do just fine in a 23x32 if he had that. Raven is one of those "perch potatoes" you might hear of lol. Not all the time, but much of the time... When he's not playing he's pretty content to sit in the same place for long periods. Some Pionus are much more active. It seems to depend on the individual.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 06:17:34 PM »
He looks like a real gentleman, congratulations. Nerd lived in a smallish parrot cage for 31 years and was fine with it but he was free ranging the minute somebody got home and also had a play stand for probably 10 years too.
Lurch now lives in Nerds house and is also fine but same deal, he's out when somebody is home.
Of course bigger is better within reason if you can afford it.
The cage is 171723 and is pretty typical of the cages available over 30 years ago when I got Nerd. No matter what it is with time they will decide its their home and defend it :icon_mrgreen:
I want a bigger cage myself, not sure how Lurch feels about as he's adopted it as his and defends it against all tresspassers :biglaughing:
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 07:52:23 PM »
It also depends on what the bird is used to... Whatever size the cage is, if they are accustomed to it and have established it as their "home" they should be okay.

I've noticed the birds that need as big a cage as possible for their size, are the highly active birds. The more hyper and active the individual is, the more they seem to need more room than a more sedate bird.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 08:12:55 PM »
Welcome. I got a 22 x 22 from CL when I first got my wcp. I quickly learned this is too small of a size as they need room so they have enough space for toys and mental stimulation. 23 x 32 is the smallest recommended size. Both of my.pionus parrots each have this size now and do well with this size.

Both of my pionus parrots love edamame. Frozen is fine.

Enjoy your new BHP. Give it time and space to adjust. Give to toys to chew and forage. Try target training. Convert to eat a lot of veggies daily if it is not. Convert to eat high quality pellets too if not already eating them. I would suggest 50 percent veggies and 50 pellets.

Mine like edamame, green beans, snow peas, kale, squash, carrots, apple, blackberries, red bell peppers, chard, pomegranate for example. Popular high quality pellets are Harrison's, TOPS, Roudybush. Mine eat Caitec Fresh Oven Bites. Try to have your pionus eat pellets with less than 15% protein. I feed so much veggies because the pellets my birds eat have 15% protein so I limit the pellets. (They will not eat another type of pellet) Too much protein causes kidney or liver issues and shortens their lives I have been told by breeders and my avian vet. Even the popular high quality pellets have 15% protein so be careful.

I suggest purchasing the Practical Pionus. It has good advice.

Welcome.

She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline lisazeta

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 08:22:37 AM »
Hello everyone!  :hello1: Thank you so much for all the advice. I've also looked at this cage. It's a little bigger then the 24x22, and its an Avian Adventure. Both my CAG and BG Macaw had Avian Adventure bird cages and they're amazing! This one is 28x22x63.Avian Adventure Bird Cage
Lisa L.

Offline lisazeta

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 08:39:36 AM »
Here's another one and its a much larger cage. Larger Parrot Cage
Lisa L.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 12:53:11 PM »
Welcome, and what a beautiful pic :)  I do not have much to add except the larger the cage, the better.  sometimes they have to be in it for longer than we would like, so if it is full of toys and there is still room to climb around, your baby will not be so likely to resist going in. Have you decided on one yet? Mine love the playtop, but everything is a playtop to them!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 07:42:13 PM »
Welcome, and what a beautiful pic :)  I do not have much to add except the larger the cage, the better.  sometimes they have to be in it for longer than we would like, so if it is full of toys and there is still room to climb around, your baby will not be so likely to resist going in. Have you decided on one yet? Mine love the playtop, but everything is a playtop to them!
my birds are same about playtop! Everything becomes playtop

Good luck.at picking a cage, lisazeta

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 09:47:13 PM »
Have you decided on a cage, Lisazeta?

Offline lisazeta

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 11:14:37 AM »
I'm really torn between two cages right now. :icon_mrgreen: We have a bird expo tomorrow, so I want to wait till I see what deals they have before I order one. There's just one issue he has and that is he doesn't know how to step-up. Unfortunately, his pervious owner never taught him how to step-up. I guess they thought it was cute to just grab him for 10 years.  :thdope: That's why you see me holding him in the picture above, because if your hand is not on top of him, he will fly off. The adopting organization said that it would probably be best if I went with a smaller cage due to his thrashing in the cage and not stepping up... What do y'all think? I prefer a larger cage so he'll have room to roam around and about, with lots of toys and sleepy huts that I've ordered.  :wink1:
Lisa L.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 07:51:52 PM »
Sorry but in my opinion if you need to hold his head or he will fly off then he is not comfortable yet.  I would allow him to take it slower with you. When he flies away is it controlled flying? Does he land somewhere where he is comfortable? Read up on positive reinforcement and not forcing. Www.goodbird.com

I would need to hear more about thrashing to justify a smaller cage. I am not Charlie's first home and he displayed a lot of nervous energy in cage at first. But we made adjustments and he calmed down. I don't think a smaller cage would have had a better effect on him...but every bird is an individual. Anyway I do not have all of the facts about your new baby so just expressing opinion.

Is the rescue a bird rescue? Or do they happen to have birds? It is so hard when one first gets a bird. Everyone has their own opinion of what to do and it is tough sorting through all of the opinions. It gets easier

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 01:26:27 PM »
Can you find a smaller cage on Craigslist for those crazy moments, and have the bigger one for good behavior? Mine shower in a cockatiel cage used for travel, the zon sits on top on her shower perch.  They associate the cage with the activity after a while.  The big cage means toys and outside time.  Just a thought. 

Offline WhiPi

• Egg
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 04:25:39 PM »
Lisazeta- I understand what you mean by the thrashing around when you are trying to get him out. I have had my parrotlets for 3 years and they are still really shy of hands (small birds often are) so they only come out by bribing them out with treats. I would personally say go with as big of a cage as you can afford both financially and space wise, and work on building up his trust with you and your hands. They don't always associate that your hands are part of you and not big grabby monsters. The white capped I worked with at the rescue was flighty like your blue head is, and you would have to cuddle her into you at first like you are in the picture. In the six weeks I worked with her she came along very well. I started by offering treats from the outside of her cage, then the inside, then making it so she had to put one foot on my hand to reach the treat, then up to her having to stand on my hand to get the treat. At that point I wouldn't take her out every time, I had no expectations other then her associating my hands with good things. :) You will get there!