Author Topic: My White-Caps Strange Ritual  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Scooter

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
My White-Caps Strange Ritual
« on: December 20, 2012, 11:56:51 PM »
Bluto has a strange ritual that I have observed and recorded with my camera because it is so....unusual is all I can say. Whenever the vacuum is in use around his cage, he climbs to any good perch that is in the open and that he can stretch out on, hangs his head forward and down, stretching his wings forward and down as well, flares his tail feathers showing every color and......this is weirdly embarrassing :embarressed:......puckers his anus rapidly :shocking:. Is this a mating display? Is Bluto really Blutessa?   

Offline E

• Nestling
Re: My White-Caps Strange Ritual
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 12:52:45 AM »
Embarrassing? He wants to bath! LOL!

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 01:29:45 AM »

Yes, right ... the vacuum sound reminds a parrot of their natural instinct of the rain forest or running water.  Also a parrot gets excited too and you will see their butt do that. So for those parrots who do not like to be sprayed with water it is a good opportunity when the vacuum is running to spray your bird with water from a spray bottle... you can even put hot water into the spray bottle because when it comes out then it is a warm mist! Give it a try sometime if he gets into that mode of wanting to be bathed!!
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 04:27:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum! Glad there is another whitecap!
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 08:52:26 AM »
I get the same wanting a bath when I vacuum, now that I have 2 Pis I need a second spray bottle so I can mist them simultaneously  :EmoticonRaining:  :wefly: 

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 10:42:24 AM »
Ha! Double action misting!
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Scooter

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 03:10:24 PM »
I'd read about Lorries and was concerned about possibly questionable projectiles! Thanks for the answers, I've wondered why he is never interested in bathing in a bowl or bathing pool. So White Caps prefer misting showers? Bluto has always had dander more than the others, and molts much more as well. I have a white noise generator that has water, jungle, etc on it. I am definitely trying it out to encourage him to bathe more. 

Offline Maxi

• Egg
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 08:07:35 AM »
What a great idea, using the noise machine instead of having to haul out the vacuum cleaner.    I'll have to try that and see if it works.