Author Topic: Hello. Waiting on my WCP baby  (Read 2423 times)

Offline WhiPi

• Egg
Hello. Waiting on my WCP baby
« on: February 28, 2015, 01:17:56 AM »
Hello all!
My name is Sarah, I am a stay at home mom to a six year old, four dogs, 2 parrotlets, and 2 budgies.
I worked for a short time at a local parrot rescue and fell in love with a white capped pionus there. I left there suddenly (boss was horrible) and had to leave my lovely behind. :( that was over a year ago and I haven't stopped thinking about her since. So after much research I have decided to take the plunge. I have been looking to rescue a WCP for several months, but there is none in Canada to rescue! So I broke down and contacted a breeder in Quebec. He just put his nest box up for his WCP last week! Once there are eggs and they hatch I can put a deposit down!
I kinda want a female and am tempted to pay for DNA sexing of the whole clutch just to get what I want...but am not sure that is a reasonable request. Lol
I ordered her (Stella? Morgan? Molly?) cage off amazon last week, several must haves, and toy making supplies better suited to her size (I make bird toys for the local bird club for small conures and under). She is already spoiled and doesn't even exist! I got a shower perch, boing, activity grass mat thing (going to load it up better and turn it into a hammock for some swinging fun!), skewers, a foraging toy, and a bunch of leather and wooden beads. Can you tell I am nesting? Lol
Here is the cage I ordered. I have seen them in real life and they are fantastic. I was wanting the size up from this but was uncomfortable with the bar spacing as it seems that no more that 3/4 inch bar spacing is recommended, and the cage up is 1 inch. She will be out lots anyways.

http://www.amazon.ca/Prevue-Pet-Products-Royalty-Hammertone/dp/B002YM5XFY/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1425111843&sr=1-3&keywords=Royalty+bird+cage

I am also a certified dog trainer and volunteer with a problem dogs class with my mentor. This and the fact I love my parrotlets even though they are little terrorists makes me feel well prepared to handle the spicier side of the WCP .
Anyways, thanks for having me! I will be doing lots of reading and chatting (stay at home mom and all), and hope to make some new friends.
Sarah (WhiPi)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Hello. Waiting on my WCP baby
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 03:36:05 PM »
Welcome!  I am currently lounging with my wcp male nearby so it is a pleasure to read about your excitement in getting a wcp. I love the spunky attitude my little guy has.  The energy is fun to watch.

Great that you are getting prepared.  I think you may want to check if wrought iron is safe if your bird chews on the cage. Also, you may consider at slightly larger cage. Just suggestions. Enjoy the toy making.

She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline WhiPi

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 06:39:04 PM »
After doing more snooping after I first posted, I was coming to the conclusion that maybe I needed a lower cage with a playtop instead. I love that cage, really do. But if they enjoy spending all their time on the top, a 64 inch tall cage is going to be an issue for me to get to the top of considering I just clear 5 feet!
I was thinking this one instead. What do you think?
http://parrotdiseperch.com/west/products/cages/medium/medium-playtop-32-inch-x-23-inch

Offline Jadebirdie

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 09:22:17 PM »
Your second post of the playtop cage looks similar to my Pi's setup.  Initially I had a dometop, but she would like to spend a lot of time up top and there was nothing for her there.  When I changed to the playtop, it was perfect.  She is mostly up there and loves it.  She eats, plays, hangs out and only goes inside when I leave or at bedtime when she gets covered up.  I think your bird will be happy with it.

Offline WhiPi

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 09:32:39 PM »
Thanks for the feedback peeps! That is what I saw on a lot of these posts was they like hanging out on their cage. I also have limited space so the two in one is nice.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 07:33:17 AM »
Yes, play top is supreme for my birds!

Enjoy getting the cage ready for your new baby
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 12:08:40 PM »
My smallish cage is not a play top but it is flat so Lurch spends a lot of time there hanging out, preening, and defending his home :biglaughing: I'll probably someday get him a much bigger cage with a playtop as all birds love a nice flat place to hang out and play with toys so sounds like s perfect plan to me too.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 01:12:56 PM »
Welcome, Sarah, glad you are here.  Sounds like you are thinking it through really well. What kind of dogs and little humans do you have? I have one child, so when she was young we cared for the animals together.  Maybe more kids means more hands to help?  That might be another thread in and of itself.

Offline WhiPi

• Egg
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 04:05:22 PM »
Dartman - have you thought about just creating your own play top with bendable ropes, and branch type perches that could be screwed in vertically instead of horizontally. A lot of the grape vine perches would work well, that is how many play stands are made!

Momazon (love the name!)- I have one boy, he is 6 and very into birds. We have a border collie, a rare breed dog called a Norrbottenspits, and two chihuahuas. We also have a dozen tarantulas, a few snakes, and two geckos. My two parrotlets are tameish. The male is far tamer then the female and steps up and lets me give him scritchies... but we do call them the little green terrorists. I have always wanted a bigger bird but just can't handle the extreme noise that they make. Even green cheeks are just too... sharp? The white capped I was around, while the can get loud. has such a softer pitch to it... if that makes sense. I am not delusional however, all birds are loud and messy. lol. It's just that there are certain noises that almost... I dunno, like hurt me physically? And I am happy to say that the pionus is not one of them. I can't wait to be buried nose deep in that musky smell again.
I have actually been talking to Bluebird about possibly getting one of her babies. Kind of exciting.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 04:49:34 PM »
Cute lil buggers, both of them  ^-^  The lack of noise and general calm and non aggressive nature is what led me to get Nerd and his brother Ferd back in 78. They could and did get loud but most times just clucked and made happy noises to them selves, then Ferd suddenly got sick, the fat healthy looking one, and Nerd was stuck with me so we slowly made friends and became best buds as I grew up for the rest of his life :icon_mrgreen:
After he crossed the bridge I was devastated and the whole family felt bad so lil sister found Lurch and family helped me get him DEC 24th 09, we've been working it out since but he's pretty happy with his life now and has decided I don't need to be corrected all the time or scream, life's good for both of us and we needed each other.
He has a few things to play with on top, a inverted wood dowel that was supposed to be a hanging perch thing and a lava rock on a chain that was a hanging play toy we now use to hold the door open with it's broken latch thing.
Nerd wore that rock down biting it, scratching his head with it, and beak scraping, Lurch does the same, plus we have a few rattle toys and bells around the outside to reach down and ring or attack.
Also have a nice play stand with a couple of perches and food cups, but since we moved to this bigger house a few years ago he refuses to use it, I guess it just isn't in a spot he likes so he stays on his cage and the back of the chairs and couch that we put blankets and towels over so he can make his messes.
Need to figure out a place where he'll use the stand again but also trying to keep the new to us house clean, his cage is by what would be the front door on the vinyl entry area they made for dirty feet to walk on so he's easy to clean up after.
Village Idiot

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 12:39:39 AM »
Welcome  :). I love Parrotlets, they're so cute! Can't wait to see pics when you get your baby.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 11:50:35 PM »
Hard to tell who looks happier, the fid or the kid!