Poll

Is this normal

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Blue headed  (Read 1639 times)

Offline motodane

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Blue headed
« on: March 01, 2015, 11:39:23 AM »
My 15 year old female has decided  that biting is the answer.  She has gotten hormonal  and territorial .  I can not let her on my shoulder anymore becuse she bites when I tell her step up to get her off.  She no longer wants my hand in her cage, even after she is out, to change her water. My baby is being mean. LOLOL  I just need to make sure this is normal and that there isnt something wrong with her.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Blue headed
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 12:05:01 PM »
They get a bit pissy during that time so I'd say it's normal and as soon as the raging hormones quit she SHOULD get back to her normal self. Lurch gets a bit touchy during that time but he's always been a bit mad at the world anyways and is now finally mostly friendly and happy to hang out but I still have to read his mood. He's a Maxi but should be pretty similar and their are quite a few Blue head owners on here that can give you first hand accounts and help.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 01:21:55 PM »
As Dartman says, it is probably the time of year and just a matter of outlasting the behavior, but if it goes on through the seasons, maybe the vet could advise. I rehomed a BW a few years ago who was like that at an adult age, but she had health problems we did not know about. She put some scars on my ear before the vet discovered bone problems.  Once I made adjustments to her cage and diet so her arthritis and joint fusing was not such an issue, she calmed down. For about a year or more, she would attack when on my shoulder.  For the longest time I thought it was when she saw her reflection, but it was more an issue of her bone and joint pain.  When I made a fleece scarf that was fluffy enough, she did much better.

Offline motodane

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 05:47:34 PM »
I thought it was the raging hormones.  I just adjust so I don't get bit. She gets really angry when I am getting ready to leave the house too.  But when I come home all is calm. Thanks for the imput .  Happy mine is not the only one.

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 02:11:43 PM »
You can take her to a avian vet so you will now if she is healthy or not. If they are sick they can change their behavior to become really aggressive.
That is my suggestion.