Author Topic: What do you Pi Peeps Think of this cage?  (Read 3420 times)

Offline WhiPi

• Egg
What do you Pi Peeps Think of this cage?
« on: March 04, 2015, 04:25:25 PM »
Still on the hunt for a cage for my baby pi!!! What do you guys think of this one? I love love love that it is long instead of tall (I am short!) and can you imagine the play top I can build on there?!?!?!?
http://petsfella.com/flight-cage-flight%20cage-flying%20cage-flight%20bird%20cage-double%20flight%20cage-bird%20cage-parrot%20cage-space-double-cage%20with%20stand-finch%20cage-canary%20cage-small%20bird%20cage

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
Re: What do you Pi Peeps Think of this cage?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 10:10:11 PM »
Hi, no I would not get that for a Pionus. That's what they call a "flight cage" and is appropriate for small birds like finches, budgies, and maybe even cockatiels. In fact, that is the same one I have on my wish list to get my budgie! The bars of flight cages are much too small gauge and flimsy for anything but the tiniest beaks. I know the size and price is attractive, which is why many people want to use them for parrots, but it's not recommended.

Offline WhiPi

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 11:33:22 PM »
I was told that they don't use vertical space, so horizontal was the way to go. Its huge! Yes I would worry about the strength of the welds as well, but it does say pionus in the description. Do you find your pionus uses the vertical space? Like is it worth paying more for a cage that goes all the way to the floor practically, or worry about width and depth?

Offline WhiPi

• Egg
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 11:32:52 AM »
I was also basing the decision off this article I found here
http://www.upatsix.com/faq/pionus.htm

The bigger the cage the better (as long as it is easy to clean and the bar spacing is no larger than 1"). The minimum size is a cage large enough for the bird to flap its wings and stretch fully without touching the cage bars. Pionus confined to too small a cage are inclined to become rather sedentary and tend to become over weight (not to mention unhappy). I feel a good sized cage is 2' tall, 3' wide, and 2' deep (or slightly narrower to make it easier to manage through doorways). This size has enough room for a swing, 2 or 3 different types of perches, several toys and several food cups without being crowded. I realize that not everyone can afford a cage of this size; however, you should try to buy one as large as possible. Again, remember to make sure the cage is also easy to clean and the bar spacing is no larger than 1" (for the smaller Pionus, like the White-cap and Dusky, 3/4" would be safer).

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 01:00:11 PM »
Yes! Raven DOES use vertical space. I had an Eclectus which is more of a strictly arboreal species I guess, who didn't go to the bottom, but my Pionus sure does!

He has a toy box with a bunch of foot toys in there, as well as low hanging toys. He has a 26x34 cage which is more than he even uses (as Raven is not the most active bird I have). It's not super tall which was hard to find, but it goes all the way pretty low to the floor, so still has a lot of a vertical shape.

A 23x32 (that usually doesn't go down to the floor) is a nice standard size for a Pi. Of course some have smaller, some bigger. It's also what they're used to. Unfortunately parrot cages do cost more than flight cages, but worth it in the long run to invest in a proper cage :).

Offline WhiPi

• Egg
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 01:08:57 PM »
Thanks for your input!
The money thing isn't the issue. I am fine with paying more I want to invest in to something appropriate and not be wanting something different in a year. This is the other one I am considering.
http://www.parrottrends.ca/kings-cages-32-x-23-playpen-top-cage/

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 02:14:34 PM »
That looks like a nice cage :). I have King's and I think they're good quality.

That one appears to have a narrow front door (I have a cage with a narrow door like that on one of my Poicephalus cages) and I hate it. It's awkward to "get in" the cage as easily when you need to. I guess it doesn't bother everyone, it's just a detail I thought I'd point out since it's one of my "personal" cage pet peeves :). If it doesn't bother you, go for it!

Offline WhiPi

• Egg
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 02:57:30 PM »
Why are parrot breeders and enthusiasts not designing these cages? Some dude in a back office thinks up these ideas and we have to live with them. There needs to be a line of cages that you just buy the panels for, and build up to the size you want!
I asked her if she has access to this cage with a wider door, if not I will just live with it. I am a small person so its not like a huge door would benefit me much anyways. Will be interesting to get things in and out of there though. lol.
Thank you so much for your input!

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 05:08:56 PM »
My pionus use every inch of their cages. They go up and down, across and around. Julie's advice is quite on the mark
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 01:51:04 PM »
The problem with that cage and Pionus parrots is the wires are very thin, I have a single flight for my budgies and my Pi boys could bite right through the wires if they wanted to and they do use their beaks for climbing. Like many others I have 23x32 cages for my boys

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 10:22:53 PM »
Mine love a big cage and play on top if I hang toys on the outside.