Author Topic: Pi hormones and mating behavior?  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Prayinmmoma

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Pi hormones and mating behavior?
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:15:13 PM »
Thank you for the add. I have had Willow, a white-capped Pi since weaning and she (never sexed, just a guess) is 9 years old. I did a lot of research initially with her but like most people here there wasn't alot abailable or it was generic. I am wondering what is the normal breading season and what is typical behavior and hormonal antics for both male and female since we don't know what sex she is.
Thanks

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Pi hormones and mating behavior?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 02:25:02 AM »
Hi, is.your wcp really sweet or does it display a bit of tough and tumble behavior? My wcp is a confirmed male. He definitely loves me but he is not a sweet bird. I understand females are really sweet.

Anyway my experience is based on two male pionus parrots. They make a mating squeeky noise. They rub on an object with their bottom and the noise gets louder. The chewing by one of my pionus really steps up a notch. Cage aggression increases. I think January to.March is the time period but honestly once my 10 year old started he never stopped....I got him 2 years ago and this behavior started 1 year ago. I am guessing he needed to settle into the home. I think there is a you tube video of a pionus mating call....before seeing that I didn't know a particular noise my pionus was making was a mating noise.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Prayinmmoma

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 07:48:26 AM »
Thanks.  I would say she bipolar this time of year.  As long as we get her off her cage (cage aggression started at about 1.5 years) she generally ok.  Lately she's been very aggressive and "moody".  I definitely have to watch her body language before I approach her.  I've never noticed her rubbing her underside on anything.  She randomly started chewing on wood (my house) this year, she had never done that before.  I also have a Africian Grey who is 14, they don't co-mingle but I wonder if each's mating season is interfering with the others....it seems like they both get lovey and moody around the same time. 
I posted a video on FB of Willow "talking" to me the other day and someone responded that it looked like she was mating with the perch....I'll have to find it and post here.  Until then I never really gave it a thought, I just thought it was her "happy" noise, besides the wheeze.  She does try to feed us sometimes, definitely my son (her favorite) more than me. 

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
Hi and welcome, it sounds like you are doing your research.  Our Maxi tries to stand on our arms and wiggle his tail around, but we give a toy to occupy him (usually even pasta tied up in a paper towel will distract him) and he will stop for a while. You probably know not to pet anywhere except the head and neck, except for training. It is a lot like raising a teenager, you just outlast the phase. I think a grey and a WCP would make a good pair

Offline Prayinmmoma

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 11:45:38 AM »
I am just finding that we shouldn't pet her anywhere but the head.  We knew not to touch her back under her wings.  I wish they got along but Willow is petrified of Morgan so they keep their own space. Morgan will get on her cage and she'll freak out and come running and tattle to momma lol
thanks for all the support. This page and the Pinous FB group have been wonderful. 

One thing I've always wondered about. We weaned her and I spoon fed her as soon as she was eating on her own she refuses to take food from our hands now.  There is only a few favorite treats she'll take from our hand but other than that she runs away.  I figured she's miss independent lol....oh and of course she has to dip everything in her water - that I know is a PI trait.

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 01:28:05 PM »
Here's my 2 cents about behavioral gender differences... I've had 2 Bronze Winged Pionus. 1 DNA female (passed away 10 years ago), and 1 DNA male currently. They had VERY different personalities from each other. I can't tell you how much of the difference was just individuality, but I can tell you that just like we typically read and hear about female vs male, Adrion my female was markedly more of a handleable, easier going, nicer pet. Keep in mind she passed at 1 year old so she wasn't mature yet, but then even as a youngster my male definitely showed much "different" personality traits.

Raven my male, is much more aloof with me (and was even that way by the time I took him home at 4 months old). He is much more ready to show me his displeasure with posturing for me to get away, or would do a warning bite even as a juvenile. My female never bit me at the same ages as Raven has. Don't get me wrong, Raven is still a nice bird and he likes me to be near him at times so that we can "talk", it's just that he's more standoffish and so "textbook" male.

Adrion passed at a year old, so she didn't show any hormonal behavior. During surgery the vet told me he saw the immature female organs...
Anyway, from what I've read, females will get "nesty" and back their butts up against things. I think they can get aggressive too, but I mainly hear of the more pronounced aggression and territoriality from the males.

Raven my male is 18 months old... He clucks like a chicken while trying to step onto the back of his Poicephalus parrot friend with one of his feet, he postures to me a lot to back away (territorial behavior), he regurgitates for his friend (I try to discourage it, but don't always catch it). That's it for now, but he's not fully mature yet. Funny, but Griffin (Raven's friend) encourages his regurgitation behavior by begging.. I try my best to stop him!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 09:43:20 PM »
The interesting thing is that they change so much over time. Of course that is natural, but it makes it harder to predict behavior. Dobby was such a docile baby until suddenly he was Mr. Mighty, and that passed, too.  Now he has very active and challenging times of day, and also much slower and more affectionate behavior at later times.

As far as eating out of your hand, Willow may decide one day that she will do just that  :yummy: