Author Topic: Newbe  (Read 2151 times)

Offline panagiotisath

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Newbe
« on: May 18, 2015, 09:31:34 PM »
Hi,everybody
I am planning to buy a  Blue Head Pionus sometime in August so i continue to gather info about the species.In this gathering i could use some help.As i read they usually don't bond with only one member of the family they can amuse them selves without wanting constant companionship and they are among the quite ones and suitable for apartment.Talking ability is not their strong point which i don't care at all but i was wondering who is the whistle.
So far this is the sum of info i gathered i am sure that there is a lot more to it and i am waiting for your thoughts and knowledge.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Newbe
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 01:54:21 AM »
Hello, welcome.

BHP' s are gorgeous. Each bird is an individual. Some may be quiet but some can be loud. Quiet is relative. I would get evicted with some of the noises my pi make if I lived in an apartment. I live in a single family home, have new reinforced windows and I can clearly hear my birds when I am outside. They are quiet a lot but loud noises do occur. So nothing is absolute. A pi can be a one person bird...my older pionus who lived some where else for his first 8 years supposedly got rehomed when he started acting out when his main caretaker left the home.  Pionus are wonderful, but I do not consider them "starter" birds and to be a good owner and caretaker one needs to take a lot of time and patience to learn parrot behaviour. It is true they can play well on their own but they definitely like a lot of out of cage time, need a big cage as they are not perch potatoes and fully use their cages and also need daily attention. Pionus are wise to me...they observe a sitaution for a long time before they engage.

Enjoy preparing for your pionus by getting a 32 x 23 size cage wuth 3/4 inch bar spacing and outfit it with a variety of types of perches and foraging toys.

Hope you enjoy the site.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 02:25:36 PM »
Welcome and look forward to pics of your new baby! I agree they are less clingy than other birds!

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 01:54:52 PM »
Welcome :). Blue Headed Pi's are so beautiful in person. I absolutley love them. Let us know when you get one!

Offline Jadebirdie

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 04:06:32 PM »
I have a 12 yr old BHP obtained when she was just 16 weeks old.  She is an only bird and I her only flock member.  She is very bonded to me and even thought I have tried over the years to expose her to other people, she clearly likes ONLY me and runs from others except the man who sits her when I go away.  She will tolerate him, but hates his wife.  She loves to be out of her cage and plays on the playtop area most of the day when I am home. Her wings are kept trimmed to prevent her flying into objects like the sliding door as she did once.   She likes to have her own space and likes to play by herself, but when she wants your company, she demands it.  She will call:"Step up here" and this is when she wants to hang out on your shoulder or lap.  If you don't respond (like you are in the bathroom, etc) she will start to scream a LOUD TWEET, TWEET until you do.  Other than that, she is very quiet with little chirps, and clicky noises.  She can talk a few phrases such as "are you going bye, bye?  Such a pretty bird, such a good bird" and she does the wolf whistle.  She LOVES to have her head scratched and insists upon this several times a day.  She also loves her shower perch and is upset if I don't invite her to shower with me daily.  She is slightly spoiled, but I love her. 

She is my first bird and will be my last as she will probably go into the old folks home with me, God willing.  The most important thing for you to do is research everything on this type of bird and parrots in general and pay attention to their body language.  Teach them to step up and make them feel safe and comfortable around you.  Allow them to feel in control of themselves and make good birdie decisions within reason while looking out for their safety and wellbeing. 

When I got her, I went to an area breeder and I had no idea what to look for in a parrot or how to pick one out.  The breeder put all the banded females on my arm one at a time and this one chose me.  The others flew away, but this one ran up to my shoulder and would not leave.  I have never regretted getting her.  Yes it is annoying when she starts the loud tweets, but this is only a couple times a week and the neighbors have not complained yet.

Good luck with your selection and let us know when you adopt one.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 11:23:41 AM »
Well put, Jadebirdie. Yours sounds charming as can be.