Author Topic: Eating poop  (Read 1100 times)

Offline dechi

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
Eating poop
« on: July 04, 2016, 03:22:44 PM »
Hello,

My 5 1/2 year old blue headed pionus female likes to eat her dried poop.  She gets a mix of healthy seeeds (no sunflower seeds), pellets and various fruits and veggies everyday.  Plus the occasional human food, such as a small piece of bread, an almond, ect.

She goes out of her cage every day for 2-6 hours.  She has two playgrounds she can perch on and toys on both and in her cage.  She has intact wings and flies all over the house every day.

She eats poop both in her cage and on her playground.  I try to keep it as clean as I can but there will always be a piece she can grab without me knowing it.

Why is she doing this and what can I feed her so she stops ?  Is she missing specific nutrients ?

Thanks !

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
Re: Eating poop
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 03:55:39 PM »
Yes, I've heard stories about birds do that, it's not usually an obsession and I've also read where it can be from something they lack... what it is I'm not sure.  Guess we will have to research it to find out.  I've seen my own birds do it once in a great while but I've not been too concerned as it is ever so seldom.  Regardless, it's not good to eat poop, period!! 
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 06:07:04 PM »
I think they do it as much because it's crunchy as anything else as they have no idea it's bad for them but love anything crunchy.
Village Idiot

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 09:05:13 PM »
I think they do it as much because it's crunchy as anything else as they have no idea it's bad for them but love anything crunchy.

I thought about that too!  It's often more so when it is dried out.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 09:24:09 PM »
Well usually when it's fresh and wet all my guys were mortified to touch it or get it on their feet, but once it's dried it's a crunch toy.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 09:39:55 PM »
 :eatnow:  I have a dog that did that for his first year and a half, and it is just nasty!!

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 04:29:37 PM »
I havent noticed any of mine doing that

Offline vampiric_conure

• Egg
  • Where everyone does the happy happy Conure dance!
    • The gallery of Domnijoe Pets and Art
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 10:12:00 PM »
August will do that, too, sometimes! Makes ya wonder what's going through their feathery heads :P
Beware of dog? No! Beware of cat! Wait, no. The Budgie is a killer, too.

Untitled2 by Vampiric Conure[/url

Offline liz

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 10:14:06 AM »
mine will do that too, and I have been wondering what his reason is.. he has plenty of toys- I think i get more excited about him getting a new toy than he does. I think it being crunchy makes the most sense. he likes easily destroyed things the best and dry poo crumbles without any effort at all.