Author Topic: Pionus Groups on Facebook  (Read 932 times)

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
Pionus Groups on Facebook
« on: July 06, 2016, 10:27:11 AM »

I know there are Pionus groups on facebook as any group on there, it seems to be confusing to find things people have posted on. It seems like lost info that can not ever be found again say like a week, a month or more later.  As to where like on a forum like this, it is always there to find and fall back on.  So why are the facebook groups more popular or are they?

Back sometime I joined a couple of the Pionus groups on there but I rarely even read or post anything on them due to it only is good for reading more current written posts.  I see the posts in my facebook feed but then later like a week or more if I wanted to look something up again on it, I can never ever find it again.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Pionus Groups on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 07:00:35 PM »
I never did Facebook, I only joined because the find fido thing I signed up for to help find Lurch setup a Facebook page for him and made some printable posters.
I friended a old coworker and tried to join the page of a car site I liked before their page folded and read and commented on Lurches lost page and that has been it so far.
Seems like a lot of self absorbed people screaming look at me but their are some cool things there too.
Most of the comments about Lurch were nice and supportive but one dickweed had to post Hawk snack :taz:
Village Idiot

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 09:45:15 PM »
Oh yes, I know some people on there get too outspoken and have no human emotions! I keep my friend list very short and too careful for all the oddballs out there.  I get people who want me to confirm their friendship on there and I have no idea in the world on who they are.  A lot of different type groups are interesting.  I don't do too much in the way of posting on facebook, I'm more of a reader than a poster.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline vampiric_conure

• Egg
  • Where everyone does the happy happy Conure dance!
    • The gallery of Domnijoe Pets and Art
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 09:48:35 PM »
I personally prefer the forum for information while I like Facebook for info on people's birds. You do have to be careful on FB - once in a while you get the slime balls that need to be blocked.
Beware of dog? No! Beware of cat! Wait, no. The Budgie is a killer, too.

Untitled2 by Vampiric Conure[/url

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 09:59:40 PM »
Yeah, I kinda knew somebody would have to post something like that just because they have no empathy or filters.
I responded that very well may be true but it was a very insensitive thing to say and I hoped he never ended up loosing a small pet and had to deal with comments like that. He of course was a hit and run driver and never posted another comment and probably enjoyed stirring the pot to see what happens.
Now if I ever could get the NW neons page to accept me I could catch up on what everyone who likes them locally is up to and trade or find parts but they never seem to respond to my requests so far. I was a member of their forum and the national one as well and still check and post occasionally on that one.
Village Idiot

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 11:19:10 AM »
I belong to 3 FB Pionus groups, some good info and nice people, like everything you have to pick and choose. When you are in a group you can click on the search box and put in a few keywords to find a post again or the poster's name if you know it

Offline vampiric_conure

• Egg
  • Where everyone does the happy happy Conure dance!
    • The gallery of Domnijoe Pets and Art
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 12:01:54 AM »
Yes! Facebook groups have a group search function that helps make things  easier to find :) I don't find it as reliable as a full out forum, but for simple things it is a cool item to have around.
Beware of dog? No! Beware of cat! Wait, no. The Budgie is a killer, too.

Untitled2 by Vampiric Conure[/url

Offline Julie T

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 12:50:27 PM »
I've never taken to using Facebook. I only have an account so that I can occasionally look at others' pages for a specific purpose, like if need to view a certain business page there. Otherwise, I have no interest in it. Facebook in general, I feel asks way too many personal questions when you sign up and is geared toward sharing way too much. I know there are privacy settings, but unless you go and manually set everything, the whole world knows everything about you and everyone anywhere can 'look in' and that doesn't sit well with me personally ;). When I first started with bird groups on the internet, it was Yahoo Groups. Remember that? They're probably obsolete now (or almost) because of the popularity of Facebook.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 06:35:32 PM »
I agree, but use fb with my settings mostly so only I can see what I post. Then I use it like a recipe box or bulletin board. I love quilt pics, recipes, and quotes, but see no reason to foist them off on others.

When my daughter went to sing in another country, though I found it was a free, easy way to message each other, since her phone was too expensive to use.  It really kept us in touch and reduced my worry and her loneliness.  But that's just the private messaging.

As for posting what I ate for lunch, or any general complaints or excitement, I prefer to do that in person lolol.

There was some sort of survey or study that said fb is mostly correlated with unhappiness, and I believe it.  If you measure your popularity or anything by how many likes it gets, what else could happen?

This forum is unique and very easy to use, and I have always felt more at home here.  Now if I had just managed to keep that pionus, I'd fit right in   :oops: