Author Topic: N00b Question - Spraying your Pi's  (Read 866 times)

Offline vampiric_conure

• Egg
  • Where everyone does the happy happy Conure dance!
    • The gallery of Domnijoe Pets and Art
N00b Question - Spraying your Pi's
« on: July 10, 2016, 12:13:58 AM »
Just wondering how often folks spray down their Pi's. Is it once a day? A few times a week? A Few times a month? I've had August a month and I've not sprayed him down yet! Apparently I've been so concerned with training him to eating from my fingers (So far only when offered from between the bars of the cage. Everything else is bets off!)  that I've neglected his showers!

August by Vampiric Conure, on Flickr
Beware of dog? No! Beware of cat! Wait, no. The Budgie is a killer, too.

Untitled2 by Vampiric Conure[/url

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
Re: N00b Question - Spraying your Pi's
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 12:24:03 AM »
It all varies so much, generally speaking some do it once a week or twice ... me, my Pi's run from it merely due to me not being in the habit of spraying them or sticking them in the shower, so it is my fault.  Being August is young it really is a good habit to start them out young so too much time does not go by then they end up being afraid of water.  You of course want to be sure it is warm and not too hot.  However, you can put hot water in a spray bottle as when it comes out as mists onto them it is warm and not hot.

I need to get my birds done soon.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline vampiric_conure

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 12:38:53 AM »
Thanks Jan :) I'll try once a week and see how August handles it.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 07:49:37 AM »
I think Momazon sprayed or mostly took Dobby in the shower almost every day during the summer then gently blew dry him. I try to lightly spray him down about once a week and yes he does love the blow dryer but I think me, my shower, etc just aren't what he expects and remembers so he doesn't seem to like the shower in his shower cage here but will mostly sit still for a light spritz with the spray bottle with warm water on the shower curtain.
Yep, I'd try it now while he's young so he gets used to and starts to like a good spay or going into the actual shower on you or a shower perch. Nerd used to dunk himself in his tiny water dish and running a vacuum will put many of them right into shower mode and you can take advantage of it.
During the winter we keep the house very cool so I tend to skip showers so as not to chill down the bird too much and Lurch would get pretty ratty looking but was happy.
Village Idiot

Offline Jadebirdie

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 08:26:36 PM »
My 13 yr old BH hates spraying or faucets, but loves her shower perch (sticks on tiles) and she insists that she accompany me in every day.  Most days she just stands there feathers tight with eyes closed taking a steam, but about once a week after washing my hair I will find her with her feathers all spread out wanting a shower.  I put her on my shoulder so she get indirect spray and then put her on the floor where she runs in and out of the spray and flaps around.  Very cute.  She gets drenched and when I return her to her cage, she tries to squeeze her squatty body in her water dish.  She then air dries.  She is an only bird and VERY spoiled. 

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 03:51:25 PM »
I spray mine almost every day in the summer when they are out. They love to take a bath when they are out.
In the winter I spray mine twice a week.  Remember to never spray in the evening, it's not good for them to get wet when they should sleep.
And then also both mine are taking showers with me every day, (not getting wet) They love the high humid air and I love their company.
I just say,  - "Who would take a shower with mom", and then they both fly to the bathroom as fast as they can. I love them for that! We really are family. ♥

To make Eloy enjoy a bath when he was a little boy I played rain and thunder sounds from the Rain Forrest.
Akela didn't need that, she was just doing what Eloy did.
This is the sound I'm using: Rain and thunder

My crazy Pi's taking a shower together.
Video

Offline vampiric_conure

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 05:42:41 PM »
Thank you everyone for your input! And LOL@ Eloy's pi's!  Eloy -  That video of your birds is a hoot! And also thank you for the thunder/rain storm sound effects! It'll come in handy one day ;)

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 10:35:02 PM »
Did you know about the vacuum cleaner strategy?  Turn it on and vacuum and lots of times it will get the birdie into the mood of a bath!!  True! If she is afraid of the vacuum, then run it in another room where she can hear it and it might get her interested in the antics of a bath!
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline vampiric_conure

• Egg
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 11:40:12 PM »
Did you know about the vacuum cleaner strategy?  Turn it on and vacuum and lots of times it will get the birdie into the mood of a bath!!  True! If she is afraid of the vacuum, then run it in another room where she can hear it and it might get her interested in the antics of a bath!

I didn't try the vacuum cleaner strategy yet. My cockatiels ...well, the older one, will dance for it sometimes. I'm going to see if  August will dance, LOL. I did spray him down today. He wasn't too sure with me, but bathed under the drips dripping from the top of his cage onto his favorite perch, LOL