Author Topic: Weird posturing - what gives?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline vampiric_conure

• Egg
  • Where everyone does the happy happy Conure dance!
    • The gallery of Domnijoe Pets and Art
Weird posturing - what gives?
« on: July 15, 2016, 10:46:23 PM »
As I'm new to Pi's, I am CLUELESS about body language. August, I noticed, likes to hunch over his perch and flutter his wings slightly at his sides. He did this while I was transporting him on the bus, plus he's done it a few times for me while in his cage. Is it a nervous habit? Mating stance? Weird birdy logic that no one really understands? I'm presuming this is something other Pi's do, too.
Beware of dog? No! Beware of cat! Wait, no. The Budgie is a killer, too.

Untitled2 by Vampiric Conure[/url

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Weird posturing - what gives?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 11:59:29 PM »
I THINK it's kinda a baby begging thing they do when they want attention or are concerned about something. Nerd did it, Lurch did it even more, not sure if Dobby does it but I'm sure he does, just don't remember seeing it yet in the short time he's been with me.
Village Idiot

Offline vampiric_conure

• Egg
  • Where everyone does the happy happy Conure dance!
    • The gallery of Domnijoe Pets and Art
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 12:29:46 AM »
If they do it when they're concerned about something, I can imagine why - It was August's first trip to the parrot club yesterday and everything was new. Plus he's probably got memories of being shipped by plane and may have thought he was doing the plane thing over again, LOL.

Thank you kindly for your input :)
Beware of dog? No! Beware of cat! Wait, no. The Budgie is a killer, too.

Untitled2 by Vampiric Conure[/url

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 06:43:48 PM »
I THINK it's kinda a baby begging thing they do when they want attention or are concerned about something. Nerd did it, Lurch did it even more, not sure if Dobby does it but I'm sure he does, just don't remember seeing it yet in the short time he's been with me.

You know, Terry, he sure used to do that, but it was when he was a baby.  He is such a little helicopter, he never waited to be picked up, he'd just take off and go where he wanted.  Maybe it's a "gotta fly" signal?

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 07:00:24 PM »
Yes, he has no problem at all flying where he wants to go. He also plops on sister every time she walks away as she reminds him of you guys and she's always doing something cool, many times with food  :eatnow:
He did decide to land on me Saturday when I was here by myself and decided to load the dishwasher. I guess me doing something different was too much for him and he had to see and help :icon_mrgreen: He also has decided the carpet is a wondrous place and has purposely flown down to whistle and look for goodies. So we have carpet parrots again.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 07:39:52 PM »
Ha!  He is such a little food scammer  ;D  I  can't remember him doing that babylike wing flutter after he could fly. The zon does it all the time, since she has scoliosis and a smaller heart than normal. I always thought she was just lazy or not a good flier, and maybe she is, but she does the wing flutter whenever she wants to go somewhere but is waiting for me to get her.

Oh, and what did you say?  Dobby on the carpet without a dog to taunt? That's a first!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 08:04:51 PM »
Maybe he's looking for dog treats and the dog that goes with them but now if we don't see him we have to do the shuffle of no bird stomping to be careful. After Nerd got punted a few times he learned to never trust the feet and make traveling music as he went on walkabouts, and we learned to scan his areas and shuffle our feet.
By the way he has absolutely no problem accepting a ride from his perch once we release him from bondage for the day, he even hopped on sisters hand after I told her to try without drama and happily ran up her arm to get to the play top. Now at bed time he gets a bit pissy and will snap at me from the other side of the bars for a bit to let me know he'd rather just have stayed out all night, but at least he now rides nicely inside for night night.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 08:25:40 PM »
He sounds the very same with you as he was with me. He does like to go to bed, but if he is roosting already, he has to lunge. He seems to be a cranky thing about going in, but he also sometimes used to fly back and get in his nighttime cage by himself. Go figure.

I agree, if you baby talk him he'll do almost anything. Add in a piece of bread or cheese, and you've got a deal, no matter what the subject. Glad Sandy and His Majesty have gotten used to each other. It makes me laugh that he keeps her close when you are the reason he's there. I am sure he'll buddy up to you, since he always loved my foster boys and my daughter's male friends. He's just a little cranky, as we know!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 09:04:21 PM »
Well, at first he stuck to me, then he discovered her and all the cool things she does, and she looks kinda like Mom so he sticks to her now. He will let me scritch him, provided he's comfy and in the mood but I think that is still part of the earned trust thing so as he gets tired of doing all the work himself I think he'll start requesting scritches like Lurch eventually did once he knew I was OK and fully trustworthy. :wink1:   
Village Idiot

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 09:19:47 PM »
As I'm new to Pi's, I am CLUELESS about body language. August, I noticed, likes to hunch over his perch and flutter his wings slightly at his sides. He did this while I was transporting him on the bus, plus he's done it a few times for me while in his cage. Is it a nervous habit? Mating stance? Weird birdy logic that no one really understands? I'm presuming this is something other Pi's do, too.

It can mean a few things ... anxious, nervous, excited.  Now, you have to decipher which one and that is where reading his body language comes in.  Sometimes you can also see it in their eyes.  I'm going to have to say he may have been more on the nervous side.  However, like there are times he will do it when anxious wanting out of his cage. Yes, it is very much not only a Pionus thing but many parrots do it, it is not just a Pionus trait.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com