Author Topic: Mommy Loves You  (Read 6171 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Mommy Loves You
« on: December 29, 2012, 02:24:43 PM »
I say "mommy loves you" to my birds after I say "goodnight."  Max seems to pick up things I say and started saying this a couple of weeks ago.  It is not clear but in his raspy voice - when he says it - I clearly enunciate for him  - and then he practices his pronunciation.

Anyway, I was away for 4 days and got home after the boys went to bed.  When I got up and said "Good Morning," Max said "Mommy Loves You"  What an awesome greeting.  I know he doesn't understand the meaning but it is still nice to hear.  I may have a babbling talker on my hands with my nine month old. He looooooves to practice pronunciation.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
Re: Mommy Love You
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:32:48 PM »
How sweet.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Mommy Loves You
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »
Yeah, Lurch sounds like a crazed pirate most of the time so we call it his pirate gibberish. Sometimes he'll sneak out a word or phrase very clearly but mostly it's his raspy pirate talk
When he thinks he's alone sometimes he'll practice a favorite word or phrase many diferent ways and it's pretty funny.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 10:47:08 PM »
Raspy voice is so cute. Anyone else out there with a baby male pi?  Does it practice pronunciation a lot?

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 02:08:35 PM »
That is so sweet, I remember Dobby practicing when we were out of the room.  He only does my daughter's voice and a lower tone that is the news, but he has never done the raspy voice.  Delilah does, occasionally. 

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 10:05:02 PM »
I would video it a bit, but honestly I think no one would understand him but me.  I hate those videos where the owner posts how special their birds talking is but one doesn't understand it when one sees the video.  Glad to know the practicing of pronunciation isn't too odd

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 08:51:58 PM »
They do mumble like an amazon sometimes...

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 03:11:20 AM »
A friend was at my house over the weekend while I wasn't there and called me to say Max says "Maximus, I love you.'" I think it was really, " Mommy loves me," because when he says that in his raspy voice and I repeat it he starts practicing the same phrase more.  But he is trying to say his name, Maximus - which may not be he easiest name and he does say "I love you." in his raspy voice as well.  Pretty exciting to see what he picks up and tries to say.  Cute that he practices...trying to get his pronunciation better and more clearer.  So eager.... Great thing is someone else other than his mom thinks he is saying things!

I wonder if they keep learning new words all of their lives.  I know pionus  may only have a vocabulary of 10 words.  He has 5 phrases to my knowledge now.  Hello, Good Boy, I Love You, Mommy Loves Me, Maximus.  I am trying to teach Thank you, Bye Bye, Yes, Step Up and Step Down, Good Morning and Good Night.  Just talking to him and seeing what he will pick up.  I wonder if he will learn things in context as I have heard of with other pionus parrots.

Offline Pennysmom

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
  • Hi I am new slave to a White Cap
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:12:24 AM »
 :icon_mrgreen:I have only had my Pi for 6 mos she was a rescue and age is unknown.. I talk to her all the time the only thing I get is clicking...she is next to my Cockatiel who is 20 and a avid talker she sits on his cage all day but never says a thing... I wonder if they will talk if there older?
Pennys Mommy

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 10:50:25 AM »
My female cockatiels didnt talk. I think generally male cockatiels are better talkers than females. Same generally true with pionus parrots.

Offline Pennysmom

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
  • Hi I am new slave to a White Cap
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
My boy talks a ton think it helped he was raised in a preschool so everyone talked to him ... I did teach he and another cockatiel to whistle the airforce song... up we go into the wild blue yonder.... haha they are pretty good... Poor Penny just doesnt seem to get it... I just ordered this perch for her will be delivered in a few hours... I am hoping she will use it and the cockatiel will hang out with her... the love bird would love it but he tries to bite off Pennys toes... should say she is so so mean... her name is Chopper... she earned that name...
Pennys Mommy

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 04:47:52 PM »
Very nice stand

Offline luvbirds

• Egg
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »
We will have had Xev our female WC Pi for 3 years on the 6th and she will be 4 in June, but she hasn't said a word. Most people say the males are the talkers but Holly our BW Pi greets us with her gravelly "Hello! Whats up?" every morning and she's saying more,
 than we can understand since we got her about 10 months ago.

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 02:06:01 AM »
I know what you mean. New words are being said lately but it takes a bit of practice before I know what he is saying. He is10 1/2 months old. Very good for Holly!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 08:57:47 PM »
Trying to get Lurch to say thank you when he gets a treat but so far no good. I bet one of these days he'll just blurt it out but we'll see. He does seem to combine words and phrases and he did say what are you doing very clearly and quietly one day.
Nerd bird on the other hand was here for 31 years and never uttered a word though he had a LOT of wild Pionus noises and chirps he made that we understood perfectly. He knew his name, had a name for me which was kinda chirpcheep like maybe daddy or Terry and I think he had a name in bird for himself besides knowing we called him Nerd.
I really miss some of the unique little noises and happy noises he made but Lurch has some of his own too and many that are similar but I don't think he ever had a wild flock to get them right.
Village Idiot