Author Topic: General Questions on Pionus  (Read 250 times)

Offline fasermdc@mercyhealth.com

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
General Questions on Pionus
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:49:34 AM »
I am new to birds and am trying to see if a bird, specifically a pionus, is right for me.  I generally prefer calmer, gentler pets.  I know there are different species of pionus.  Are any of them calmer and gentler then others?  What do you think about a pionus as a first, and only, bird?

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: General Questions on Pionus
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 04:24:07 PM »
They are generally calm and quiet but every bird is a individual so you might get a grumpy bird that makes you earn everything you get or a almost immediate love sponge that decides your the chosen one, same for noise levels. Most are fairly quiet but you may get the noisy party bird. They tend to run to more towards gentle but Lurch was a used parrot with a chip on his shoulder and he was mad at the world, he would and did bite hard but after quite a while of getting to know each other he decided I was OK. I now have Dobby who is the polar opposite, he wont bite unless he's forced to and is happy and likes almost everybody he sees. He also is a very mischievous boy and loves to fly around tossing, chewing, and having fun. All of the birds I've had for a while have been Maxi Pionus. Jan used to breed and raise them and there are other members here that have the other types but not too busy here lately. Jan will probably respond as soon as she notices your post with more info.
I think as long as your in it for the long haul a Pionus would be great for you. they love to just hang out, get scritches, and treats and just be kinda close by to observe their flock.
Village Idiot