Author Topic: Foraging Toys  (Read 623 times)

Offline vampiric_conure

• Egg
  • Where everyone does the happy happy Conure dance!
    • The gallery of Domnijoe Pets and Art
Foraging Toys
« on: August 21, 2016, 07:45:18 PM »
Hey-o! I have those round hay holding toys for small rodents that I won through my local parrot club and I was wondering what kind of treats I could stuff inside them to encourage August to forage.  I was thinking stuffing it full of hay and hiding an almond in the middle. What other things could I hide in there?

I'm open to any other ideas :) (I'm going to drive you all nuts with questions, I swear, LMAO!)
Beware of dog? No! Beware of cat! Wait, no. The Budgie is a killer, too.

Untitled2 by Vampiric Conure[/url

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
Re: Foraging Toys
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 09:54:52 PM »
I think shredded paper is fun to pull out, and the almond idea is great.  For me, hay would not be a choice. We had two housebunnies and our cockatiel used to play with them and even waddle in their cage to annoy them, when they were out in their play area.  One day we found her at the bottom of her cage and she died before I could even call a vet. We necropsied her, since she was young and I was afraid she would spread disease to our budgie.  Her crop was totally impacted with timothy hay, and she had an infection. So, I would worry about hay in case the bird eats it. That said, maybe our 'tiel ate it because she saw the rabbits, but I do not know.

I use a rubber ball with holes in it, and stick popsicle sticks and vegetables through it. Carrots and celery are usually in the fridge. Sometimes they wilt, but are easy to change for new stuff.  I'm sure other members will have good ideas, and Eloy really lives it up with J.T. moving the forest inside ;) That is an inspiration and a goal, for sure!