Author Topic: Dobby pics, I'm Dobbys dad now  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Dobby pics, I'm Dobbys dad now
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 01:31:17 AM »

Well managed to get him to hold still on the scale today, of course it was after he's been eating and snacking too but lil porker was 271 grams :o That makes him heavier then Lurch was but of course will need to try and get a weight in the morning before he munches all day. Highest I ever saw Lurch at was 260 and he just seemed to be a slightly physically bigger bird but who knows and I don't think I ever weighed him later after he'd munched all day.
    Dobby certainly doesn't seem fat and he still flies like a jet without getting winded at all though I don't poke at him to see how much muscle/fat he has in his keel area. Lurch was pretty well rounded and strong, Nerd was surprisingly strong for always being able to feel his keel bone sharply at 214 grams average, the lil stubborn runt :heart:

Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 10:17:59 PM »
Well, I want to say what a fat little biscuit! In truth, I have no idea how much his last weight was, and yes I know that is a bad mother moment!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 10:31:56 PM »
Yeah, last time he held still long enough to get a reading I didn't get to change to grams and he was 8oz which roughly was about 240 grams but he hadn't been eating all day.
I still swear Lurch was bigger but obviously he has been loving all the different food here and all the pics are within a few weeks ago.
I  didn't weigh Lurch a lot  has he didn't hold still well but last few times he was 260 up from 250 so he stayed pretty stable.
Nerd was 214 first thing in the morning and around 227 after eating all day. I write the weights on the boards on our fridge with dates when I get a good reading.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 05:42:51 PM »
The zon is underweight, and I have never actually seen one who was besides her. Dobby flew so much I never thought to weigh him except at the vet.  Usually my concern over his diet was how many non-food items it included  :trashcan:

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 07:32:12 PM »
Well considering how active and how much he flies maybe he's just very muscular. I know Fuzzys Blue Head is very heavy but his vet says he has the most muscle mass he's seen in a Pionus because he's so active.
Of course knowing Dobby like we do it could be his happy junk food addiction too. He certainly hasn't slowed down one bit and never seems winded.
We always kept an eye on Nerds weight because he was so light and as long as he was good he was always 214.
Lurch was always 250 till the last few weighings where he was 260 so both were consistent in their weight range.
And yes he always seems to want to try anything that might be or sorta resembles food :shocking:
Village Idiot

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 10:52:04 PM »
Thursday I got home and mom and step dad were here, and Dobby wanted out. I decided to let him out, he jumped on my hand ran up my shoulder and was off flying shortly after. This time he totally ignored mom as she ignored him to so I think last time the minute he came to check her out he noticed she was concerned as he was busy strutting across the top of the couch. That of course got him all excited to mess with her like you said he loved to do with the kids he would dive bomb and mess with because they reacted and screamed which we know parrots love.
He just did his usual non threatening fly byes and getting munchies, no issues at all.
Today he went in the computer room with me a while while I surfed and hung out. Eventually he grabbed a finger with some urging and allowed a few scritches so I'll keep wearing him down. He also gets real excited any time I ring or introduce a new bell and starts whistling and trying to say words. I found one of Lurches favorite small cow type bells in the car and I rang it by his house and he started doing all his favorite sounds and whistles again, so cute  :icon_mrgreen:
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 10:20:10 PM »
It sounds like he is really enjoying himself and is reading you all very well, the same as he has always done. I could never help laughing when he dive bombed people, but when he tried to chew my hats and hoods off, it made me panicky.  It took a couple of years to get used to him body slamming my head.  He does a complete surprise attack sometimes. I am laughing thinking about it, and those dishtowel fights every morning. 

When we ate and he thought his food was boring, he sort of stayed off to the side and would run in like a chicken to grab a piece of bread or something. He was really obvious, watching us like a vulture!  Not sure why some birds just love human food and others won't touch it.

It is so funny that he is giving your mom the business. He is the funniest bird I have ever seen.

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2016, 06:40:58 PM »
I haven't been around lately, just checking in. Hope everyone is well here  :hello1:

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 06:59:11 PM »
Hope everything is going well for you too, wondered what's been up. Dobbys fine, he is happily trying to eat soap and some of the new plants we were given. He whistles and purrs when he sees sister and will whistle at me when I walk up to let him out for the day. He's maintaining about 275 grams still so I guess he likes the chuck around here but he's still zipping all over so it hasn't slowed his mischief down at all. Maybe hes putting on manly muscles flying around and getting into stuff :shades:
Been quiet here, need to wake up the regulars. Sometimes he gets so excited he starts saying Dobby, hi, whatever he knows when someone new shows up but he still mostly loves to express himself with his whisles. He just  landed on the TV and is grinding his beak :icon_mrgreen:
Village Idiot

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 09:52:38 PM »
Dobby seems like a happy camper and has settled in nicely!
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 10:29:41 PM »
We sure miss him but he sounds so happy, we both feel it is really right for all