Author Topic: What a Good Boy, August!  (Read 630 times)

Offline vampiric_conure

• Egg
  • Where everyone does the happy happy Conure dance!
    • The gallery of Domnijoe Pets and Art
What a Good Boy, August!
« on: October 01, 2016, 09:09:12 PM »
August is quickly becoming smart to the ladder I want him to step up on. I really have to push the idea on him before he steps up, but boy do I praise the heck out of him once he does what's expected of him! He's learning not to be afraid of the thing and unlike perches, he can't just walk over them to avoid the command, LOL! He's also started taking almonds from my fingers outside the cage. Yaaay! More things to be proud of!  :shades:
Beware of dog? No! Beware of cat! Wait, no. The Budgie is a killer, too.

Untitled2 by Vampiric Conure[/url

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: What a Good Boy, August!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 10:37:03 PM »
Isn't awesome when they finally decide something WE want them to do is OK to comply with. I/we spent the first month Dobby was here chasing him around the house for bed time, or any time we wanted him in his house so we wouldn't have another escapee. Now if I hold up my hand he steps right on and nicely rides into his door, even if he just got let out a few hours before. He even steps up when he KNOWS I want to make him do something he doesn't like, I can see him thinking your just going to make me do it again but he steps up anyways and we go back and forth a while but he never bites, worst I've gotten so far was a ferocious beaking.
I KNOW Pionus bites, Lurch was not the least bit shy about nailing me when he was pissy, Dobby is so gentle he hates to.
I always try to tell him what a good boy he is and he really does seem to respond to praise so keep up the good work and a high value treat will always help to.
Dobby would step up on the boing Momazon gave me with him, not the regular boing we already had so if he has something he likes to step up on that is good too then you can work to getting him used to other similar things. I think once they catch on that whatever is safe and good things actually happen they quickly will do more things you want them to.
Village Idiot

Offline vampiric_conure

• Egg
  • Where everyone does the happy happy Conure dance!
    • The gallery of Domnijoe Pets and Art
Re: What a Good Boy, August!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 09:58:57 PM »
Isn't awesome when they finally decide something WE want them to do is OK to comply with. I/we spent the first month Dobby was here chasing him around the house for bed time, or any time we wanted him in his house so we wouldn't have another escapee. Now if I hold up my hand he steps right on and nicely rides into his door, even if he just got let out a few hours before. He even steps up when he KNOWS I want to make him do something he doesn't like, I can see him thinking your just going to make me do it again but he steps up anyways and we go back and forth a while but he never bites, worst I've gotten so far was a ferocious beaking.
I KNOW Pionus bites, Lurch was not the least bit shy about nailing me when he was pissy, Dobby is so gentle he hates to.
I always try to tell him what a good boy he is and he really does seem to respond to praise so keep up the good work and a high value treat will always help to.
Dobby would step up on the boing Momazon gave me with him, not the regular boing we already had so if he has something he likes to step up on that is good too then you can work to getting him used to other similar things. I think once they catch on that whatever is safe and good things actually happen they quickly will do more things you want them to.

Awesome that Dobby's starting to listen/get used to you guys! :D It's a wonderful feeling knowing that understanding is dancing through their little heads, LOL. I dread the day I get bitten. So far I've been lucky. :) I'm going to have to get a proper climbing net for August and see how he'll like it, as the holes in the one I made is a touch small for a pionus to climb through. The conure, however, loves it to bits. Silly Fids :)
Beware of dog? No! Beware of cat! Wait, no. The Budgie is a killer, too.

Untitled2 by Vampiric Conure[/url