Author Topic: new white capped pionus owner  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Jma4764

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
new white capped pionus owner
« on: January 21, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »
hello i am a new owner, we rescued out 6 year old pionus, white capped, and tips? shes a little girl. any food tips? she is very loud, i read that they are actually quiet? any suggestions on giving her a happy healthy life, we also have a umbrella cockatoo

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: new white capped pionus owner
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 10:37:41 PM »
Welcome aboard, its been a bit quiet around here lately but glad you found us and we love pictures. I feed Dobby Zupreem fruit pellets and any greens or veggies he'll eat plus the probably mostly bad stuff he steels from us.
Sweet potatoes are supposed to be great, they all seem to love apples, peanuts should be avoided as far as they can contain the aspir spores that make our guys sick. Hopefully other long time owners here will see this and jump in with suggestions.
They USUALLY are quiet but every bird is their own soul and personality so many are quiet some can be quite loud an d some will mellow out on noise as they become more comfortable in their new flock.
Nerd bird was a Maxi and was mostly quite but had a flock call that could wake the dead. Lurch would get upset and start squawking and honking to get attention but got a bit better after a long time here as he realized he finally liked us and was happy, Dobby is pretty quiet and makes meep meep vocalizations a lot, but he can start calling loud when upset or trying to find us. If she starts going KACK KACK KACK!!! or honking she's probably very upset about something.
Village Idiot

Offline Jma4764

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 11:02:13 AM »
ty for the response! i see theres not too many ppl active lately :(    i appreciate the tips thou!

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 02:33:10 PM »
Hi and welcome!  I am Dobby's former slave, before he found Terry and Sandy to obey his every command :)  I think pi's are easy to feed because they almost always like fresh food. They do love starchy human food, too, though, and are prone to gout, according to The Practical Pionus and others here.  Jan is a great source of information, as she was a breeder for years.

If you search toxic foods, you'll find the big no-no's.  Aside from that, they make less noise with lots of chew toys.  Our birds would shred rolls of toilet paper if we were out of toys. Messy, but cheap.

Never had a white cap but I hear they are great!

Offline Jma4764

Jma4764
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »
She doesn't seem to be getting social. She strikes at us and won't step up. She eats anything pretty much. We only give her bird food. No ppl food. It scares me. She's 6 years old.  Ty for the response. If you can hook me up with someone that is experienced with them that would be great I want to give her the best life I can

Offline vampiric_conure

• Egg
  • Where everyone does the happy happy Conure dance!
    • The gallery of Domnijoe Pets and Art
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 03:09:48 PM »
Hey there! Relatively new Pionus slave speaking here :)

My White capped Pi took almost 3 months to warm up to me. He's juuuust starting to leave his cage to step up for me and I've had him 7-8 months. And quiet? August didn't read the book about Pionus' being 'quiet'. BOY can he belt out those screams!  Especially when hungry!

Welcome to the forum! Glad to see you around! :D
Beware of dog? No! Beware of cat! Wait, no. The Budgie is a killer, too.

Untitled2 by Vampiric Conure[/url

Offline Jma4764

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 03:22:53 PM »
hello! thank you for the response! how old is yours? i see yours is a boy, ours is a girl. she loves to be sprayed with warm water, does yours walk upside down on the rails on the top of the cage and just hang upside own, i think jj thinks shes a bat. lol when i spray her she will hang upside down and flap her wings, its so cute. :biglaughing: what seems to be yours favorite food? do you take him outside? we take our u2 out but its not summer yet so havent attempted with jj. she ant fly she seems to hit the floor when she tries. i will take any suggestions. where die you get yours? whats his name, i hope we an keep in contact. il probably have lots of questions! lol im a new owner... thank you for the response!

Offline Jma4764

Jma4764
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 03:32:40 PM »
I can't figure out how to attach a photo

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 03:38:05 PM »
At the bottom of your repy box there is a Attach box with a browse button inside. You click on that and it will let you poke through your folders looking for pics to upload and post. You have to resize them so they aren't too big and all that and there should be some guidelines and Faqs posted in the info part of the forum here too
Village Idiot