Author Topic: New Owner  (Read 654 times)

Offline Hostileto

• Newbie of Parrot Friends
New Owner
« on: September 15, 2017, 05:15:11 PM »
We purchased an older bird that was returned to bird store
super sweet  -I wont go into how and why the bird was returned but its really sweet.

We are trying to read the bird behavior
It asks for a head rub then breaths out through its nostrils in quick pulses like its stressed?
I don't know how to read him.
Is there a list of their behavior?

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: New Owner
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 07:34:31 PM »
That is the infamous Pionus wheeze and they all will do it when scared, or sometimes happy. I have seen YouTube videos of Pionus doing it while being scritched so like said for some it's a happy reaction. All of my Pionus seemed to do it when concerned but every bird is different so yours may be doing it out of extreme happiness about getting a nice scratch.
If he flares and fluffs and tries to threaten then maybe he is concerned and if pushed may bite but sounds like his reaction to being excited/happy. Welcome to the site, we love pictures.
Village Idiot

Offline Hostileto

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 05:26:29 PM »
I gave him a bath and now he smells like wet flowers... does that go away?

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 05:33:00 PM »
Pionus have a scent that varies with the bird. Nerd smelled like old oranges, Lurch had a much stronger more sharp smell, Dobby kinda smells like flowers sometimes though he usually doesn't do it often. It comes and goes with their mood I think.
Village Idiot

Offline Hostileto

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 05:43:18 PM »
How do I keep him from wanting to go into his cage all the time?
all he wants is go on my shoulder.... but I heard that is bad to let them.
He's an older bird and I don't know if his previous let him.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 05:56:24 PM »
It's only bad because many will get frustrated or upset and bite while up there. Lurch used to get upset that whatever he wanted to happen wasn't and he'd scream and bite my neck or ear.
If your guy is calm and hasn't tried to bite while up there maybe he's going to be fine. Dobby has never tried to bite while riding around. You have to know your bird because trust me holes in your neck or ear is not a good thing and hurts. Also it's hard to see what they're up to and they are close to your eyes and things like that too.
Village Idiot

Offline Hostileto

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 06:00:09 PM »
Thank you
I really want this guy to love us. He's been with us for a week so its too soon to know.

I've had birds all my life and it such a crap shoot if they do or dont become attached.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 06:08:07 PM »
Well remember a week to him is like seconds and you'll have to earn his trust and love. Lurch took most of five years to decide he trusted and loved me and he'd still bite from time to time. He was scared to death and mad at the world when I got him and he very slowly got happy and more trusting as he realized I wasn't going to hurt him or make him do things he didn't want to do within reason.
We had our fights when he got out of hand but overall he did as he pleased and learned I was trustworthy and safe and was good at scratches and treats.
Dobby has chosen my sister but it very happy and doesn't hate anyone, she's just his special friend. It is what it is and they choose who they choose.
Village Idiot

Offline Jan

• Parrot Slave Since 1986
  • Administrator
  • Hatchling
  • Blu's Bird Toys
    • Pionus Parrot's Website
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 10:46:42 PM »
Yep, it takes time to win over their love and they have to learn to trust you. 

How do I keep him from wanting to go into his cage all the time?
all he wants is go on my shoulder.... but I heard that is bad to let them.
He's an older bird and I don't know if his previous let him.

It is a known fact that birds who sit on the shoulder makes them feel equal to you. It is like you are their mate. You can get nipped in the face so it is a chance you take with a bird on the shoulder, basically you should keep them below your eye level when handling a bird.

One other thing, the wheeze can happen from numerous triggers ... scared, nervous, happy, excited, mating.
Jan

Blu's Bird Toys  www.bluesbirdtoys.com
Pionus Parrot's Website  www.pionusparrot.com

Offline Hostileto

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 05:38:33 PM »
Can pionus parrots be cuddly?

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 11:01:47 PM »
Some can but most like to hangout by you or on you and occasionally get a treat and scratch. I like to call them feathered cats, happy to hang out with you and snooze and observe with the ocasional scratch thrown in when they request it.
Village Idiot

Offline Hostileto

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 02:56:08 AM »
This happened twice he bit me while taking him out of his cage. I immediately did not react as a I know being around birds my whole life if you pull away the bird will always bite to get that reaction.

1st time this happened - he started screaming - no reason - I was on the couch, wife in the shower - then it was like an atomic bomb alarm!

No idea why.... so hard to read this guy.

1st time owning larger bird

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 09:41:13 AM »
Many Pionus and parrots in general are cage aggressive so he may be just defending his home has he sees it. Nerd was, Lurch really was, Dobby not really as he loves everybody and as soon as he sees us coming he knows he gets to come out for the day.
It's early yet and that's probably what's happening. He doesn't know and trust you fully yet so he defends his claimed space and gets upset, bites and screams at the trespass to his house he loves. Maybe let him come out on his own when you open the door and praise him and offer a treat so he gets to know he can trust you and good things happen if he comes out.
 Lurch eventually realized he could trust me and would begrudgingly allow me to reach in to change his food and water because he liked fresh stuff. Later I bought him a much nicer larger cage with feed doors for all the bowls and I didn't have to reach in and he also hadn't fully claimed his new house so the aggression calmed down a lot. I think also he had much more room to stay away from the evil hand reaching in so he didn't feel as threatened and like that. Nerd trusted me so much only I was allowed in his cage. He didn't like it but I was his chosen one that he loved so he allowed it. I tried not to abuse his trust and usually just opened his door and let him come and go as he pleased for the day.
Give your guy time and do things around him, talk nicely to him, offer high value treats and eventually you'll win him over and he won't feel he needs to just bite because you broke one of his rules.
They do tend to start to fluff up their feathers and pace and lunge trying to warn you not to do something so look for his body language. For most of us long term owners they are very easy to read their attitude and avoid if they are pissy.
Sometimes if they feel afraid they just skip the normal warning posture and go straight to a bite. Lurch was like that when I first got him but once he slowly realized I obeyed his warnings he started doing them again and didn't try as fast and hard to bite anymore, then he became fond of me so he didn't want to bite unless I ignored all warnings or hurt or really scared him.
Dobby is the only Pionus I have had that pretty much refuses to bite but he was raised with love and has never really known anyone trying to hurt him so he is totally socialized and pretty much trusts everyone he meets.
Village Idiot

Offline Hostileto

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 04:51:06 PM »
Now,
He cries/wimpers all day don't know what to do.
I understand that I when I first got him he would be sad but all day he lets out these little wimper and crys.
It like he's sad or hates us. He only stops when I put my hand in the cage and he puff up for a head rub.
He does take head rubs.
He has a bunch of toys.
His cage is open all day.
I feed him good food and the same food he had before we got him.
He's eating well.
all day he's making this wine wimper noise. Its almost non stop.
My wife gets on the phone and he starts screaming.... No idea why!
I thought these guys were quiet.
What am I doing wrong?!
Any help would be great.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 05:06:26 PM »
If he allows and wants head scratches he doesn't hate you, maybe he's concerned you might leave him so he vocalizes. As far as the noise Pionus are generally quiet well adjusted birds but everyone is their own individual so there are going to be loud ones quiet ones. Nerd had a extremely loud jungle flock call he would do occasionally, Lurch would get loud when he was insecure or wanted attention. It got better as he realized we were trustworthy and wouldn't leave him and he became secure that we were his flock. Remember it takes some of these guys a long time to decide your trustworthy and a friend. Lurch truly did take 5 years to mostly come around and he was noisy at first till he decided he was safe and loved.
Village Idiot