Author Topic: Hi! new member here!  (Read 375 times)

Offline mollysmom0822

• Egg
Hi! new member here!
« on: November 14, 2017, 04:41:24 PM »
I am a proud owner of a 10 year old Bronze-Winged Pionus named Molly! Glad to be part of the pionus club.  One of the reasons I wanted to hook up with other pionus owners is because I was wondering if anyone ever did any kind of study/research on the different vocal noises that pionus make (and if they all make the same noises/sounds or is it specific to one species of pionus, or maybe just that individual bird).
 For example, Molly makes a kind of raspberry noise, and we go back and forth making that noise to each other, and I guess it's a game. I wondered if anybody else's bird makes this noise? Also, sometimes she makes a 'cawing' sound almost like a crow. And of course, the loud scream, usually when she's sitting on my shoulder!! ^-^
Anyway, thanks for letting me join the club.. hope to meet some other pionus lovers..... Anita

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: Hi! new member here!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:03:06 PM »
I got Nerd bird in 78 and pretty sure he was wild caught. He had a wicked loud jungle flock call and all kinds of wild Pionus noises. He left me in 09 so family found and helped me get Lurch, another Maxi Pionus. His noises were similar but he didn't know half the vocalizations Nerd did and his others were just similar. Lurch escaped in 2015 and I was given Dobby by Momazon when her life changed and she couldn't keep him. He goes bebeep like a finch, has some familiar Nerd like noises, and loves to whistle and talks a bit. Lurch talked a lot, Nerd only talked in the words of his people and we understood each other perfectly. I think they instinctively know something about noises they should make but get taught their language by the parents and the rest of their flock so it kinda varies. Nerd used to look at me with happy eyes and quietly go ERK! which was his way of saying everything was right with his world.
Village Idiot

Offline mollysmom0822

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:46:02 AM »
Hi Dartman! thanks for replying to my post! I am sorry for the loss of Nerdbird and Lurch. I know how hard it is to lose a baby...this is my first real parrot - I've had parakeets and cockatiels all my life (still do). I almost lost Molly myself, when she got out of the house. But luckily for me (after 4 horrific days of trying to get her back) I finally did catch her. She had the wherewithall to stay around the house and call out to me (with me calling back) that I eventually lured her down from the trees with some food.
Anyway, back to the vocalizations - that's true that they do have their "own" language. Molly doesn't say alot of words, but she she does have some vocabulary, and yes, she too says things that I think only another pionus would understand (lol)... sounds like she's muttering under her breath...
Say hi to Dobby from Molly...... Anita

Offline cab124

• Egg
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 09:41:17 PM »
Hi Anita,

I don't think I ever remember my white cap, Cosmo, making the sounds that you describe.  She did make one sound quite a bit toward the end of her life that was a very soft whistle sound whenever she wanted me to come to her.

One of my favorite things that she said was when she saw me go to the closet and take out my coat.  She would often immediately begin saying "Goodbye, Cosmo"  "Goodbye, Cosmo."  That always made me a little sad to leave her.

Offline mollysmom0822

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 04:34:47 PM »
]Hi Cab, I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose your 'baby'.  They bring such joy in your life, and you might  not be  ready to think of getting another so soon, but I hope when you do, he/she will bring you some comfort and joy back.
I've had Molly for about 10 years now. I almost lost her to the wild, but was lucky she came back to me. I don't know what I'd do if I had lost her.
It's interesting to hear from different people about the pionus 'vocabulary' and sounds. I often wondered if anyone did any kind of 'research' to document the different sounds these birds make to see if they 'mean' anything - like hello, I'm hungry, leave me alone.... lol
When its bedtime, Molly says 'goodnight Molly'. Its funny to hear her also say this in the morning when I am uncovering her for the day. She doesn't have a large vocabulary, but does also say pretty bird and the wolf whistle.   
Take care,
Anita
P.S. I am going to try an attach a picture of Molly. This is when we first got her. Do you have a picture of Cosmo? I would love to see her.

Offline cab124

• Egg
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 06:32:31 PM »
Hi Molly's Mom!

I am so happy to hear that Molly came back to you when she got loose.  That would have been such a sad way to lose your buddy!!!

Yes, it has been extremely difficult to lose Cosmo.  I still look at her empty cage in complete disbelief.  We were so close and I just didn't see this coming.  Can't believe she is gone.

I definitely agree with you that it would be great to collect data from many different Pionus owners in order to learn more about the ways that they communicate.  It's really fascinating!!  I got a good chuckle out of thinking of Molly saying "goodnight Molly" both in the evening and in the morning!!  Things like that are so endearing.

Molly is beautiful!!!!  I stared at her picture for a long time.  I just love the way birds look.  They really are such beautiful, amazing creatures.

I shared a picture of Cosmo, in the link below, from almost exactly one year ago, when she was 20 years old.  She always had so much fun playing with nuts.  But she was always tough to photograph because she liked to attack the camera.  She was very feisty.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Agr-Osvr6MsLucA_voYpBcaZFI8fLA

I really do think I will eventually get another parrot, but I am just not sure where to look.  Pionuses are very hard to find.  I would also like to learn more about the other Pionus species.  Each one seems to be a little different.

I look forward to chatting with you more.  Give Molly a neck scratch for me!!!

Craig

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 08:37:18 PM »
Ahh, Nerd loved walnuts in the shell. I used to crack the shell a bit so he could get one open. He'd be so proud of himself when he got the goodies inside.
Village Idiot

Offline mollysmom0822

• Egg
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 04:29:27 PM »
Hi Craig, thanks...  Cosmo is a beautiful bird too! I am so sorry. She looks like a really sweetie. Was she ill?
As I am writing this, Molly is nibbling on my fingers, looking for a neck scratch....  so I will give her a 'scritch' and tell her it's from a new friend named Craig!
I know what you mean about the camera - they are so funny about being jealous or scared of something, and show such fierceness - Molly does not like when I pick my vitamin bottle - I have to make sure to take out what I need before I get her out of the cage in the morning.
She too likes nuts - peanuts... and sunflower seeds, and nutriberries, and..... (not too spoiled, is she??)
I know what you mean about finding pionus - they are rarely seen in pet stores or even bird clubs. I was lucky - I found a breeder through a little research on the internet. Luckily, this one was only a car drive away. There were only a couple of others I found, but too far away, like a few states away.
I don't know if there are any (reputable) pionus breeders left out there - but maybe you can luck out like me and find one on the internet - or maybe your vet, or if you know of any bird clubs? I did a little research on the different species, and found that the blue-headed and bronze-winged have the 'calmest' personality as far as being less 'noisy' (if that's possible... lol)
Looking forward to chatting some more with you too... would love to hear more about Cosmo...if it's not to upsetting to talk about her.
Take care,
Anita

Offline cab124

• Egg
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 07:29:29 PM »
Yes, she was a sweetie!

No, she was not ill as far as I could tell.  She died very suddenly.  The doctor said most likely a heart attack or kidney/liver failure. I was devastated and in total shock.  I didn't see it coming at all.

Isn't it funny how they pick out certain objects that they don't like?  For Cosmo, it was my phone, the shower head, my measuring spoons, bananas, etc.  Anytime that she was within 2 feet of any of those objects, it was a battle to the death.  And she was a fierce little warrior!!!

Yes, I too have been searching for breeders, but no luck so far.  It's going to be a difficult search.  As I said, I am hoping to find a male this time in order to avoid the nesting behavior of females.  Cosmo's nesting behavior got so bad that she would drive me nuts honking, and eventually became egg-bound and had to have an emergency hysterectomy when she was 12 years old.  It was a tough time.

Is Molly a blue-headed Pionus?  Would you recommend that species?  It seems to be the most popular Pionus species based upon what I read.

Offline mollysmom0822

• Egg
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 01:48:04 PM »
Hi again, no, Molly is a Bronze-winged.... I was going to try for a Blue-Headed, because, yes I did hear that they have a calm disposition, (and very popular) and 'not as' noisy as the other breeds, but I couldn't find a breeder who had these - that's how I ended up with the Bronze-winged -- no regrets! She is very sweet (can be cranky too, when she wants... lol) and has a calm disposition. So, I guess either one would be good.... Cosmos sounded like she had quite a personality! Molly doesn't seem to like anything 'white' and the only reason I can think of is when I bring her to the vet, or to get her wings and nails done, I put a white paper towel in her carrier. So, maybe she associates anything white with being put in the carrier??? I don't know!! It's weird..... she hates when I take out the butter dish (guess why...)
Maybe someone on this site knows of someone (who knows someone who's the cousin of... lol) who breeds pionus. What about your vet? Does he/she know any bird breeders?
So far (knock on wood...) I haven't had any breeding type problems with Molly -- maybe its still too early? You said Cosmos had problems when she was 12? Molly is 10 right now... so I'll keep my fingers crossed (boy, that's going to be difficult doing anything with my fingers crossed for two years! )
Anyway, good luck in your search.. I'll look too, and if I find out any information I'll let you know.
Take care,
Anita

Offline cab124

• Egg
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 08:03:50 PM »
Wow!!!  I can't believe that you mentioned that Molly doesn't like anything that is white!!  Cosmo was the same way!!!  I made the observation many times during her life that it seemed that she always tried to attack anything she saw that was white!  For example, if I were to take a Q-Tip out of the bathroom drawer, she would go nuts trying to get to it.  The shower head in the bathroom is white and she hated it.  She hated some white clips that I have that are used to clip closed bags of potato chips.  She even occasionally attacked the white ceramic bowls that her food and water are in.  I often wondered why she didn't like things that were white, but I was never able to understand.  It is very interesting to me that you noticed the same behavior.  I wonder if other parrot owners may also have noticed this.  Very interesting!!!  Do they have any natural predators that are predominantly white?

How old is Molly?  How long have you had her?  (Sorry if you have already answered this).  I have read lots of really good comments of bronze-winged Pionus.  They also seem to be very well-liked and popular.

Yes, there is someone at my vet who knows of some reputable breeders.  I do plan on checking with her.  She helped me take good care of Cosmo for may years.  She is the person who weaned Cosmo off of a seed mix and onto a pelleted diet.  This made a huge reduction in the nesting behavior, finally making life with Cosmo tolerable.  Prior to that, the nesting behavior was so intense that a good quality of life for Cosmo and I was almost impossible.  That behavior started when she was about 2, and lasted until she was about 14.  I still can't believe I survived it!!!

Thanks for keeping your eyes peeled for any nice birds for me.  Appreciated!!!!!

Offline cab124

• Egg
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 08:32:07 PM »

Offline mollysmom0822

• Egg
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 07:53:13 PM »
Hi Craig, yes that is so funny!! Sometimes Molly will bite my shirt, and a couple of times she got so fanatical and frantic  that she bit my ear! I try not to pick up anything white, but it doesn't always work that way. Yes, who knows, maybe it is a natural reaction to a 'white' predator.. lol
Molly is 10 years old. I got her when she was about 6 months old.  The breeder was keeping me updated on Molly's progress - she would send me pictures of Molly as she grew. Then finally I was able to go to her house and pick up Molly and bring her home. It was very exciting, and frustrating because I was so anxious to bring her home... couldn't wait! Like a kid on Christmas morning waiting to open the presents.
Where did you get Cosmo? Sounds like you got her too as a baby? (apologies to you if you told me all this already). I was lucky because Molly was already on a pellet diet. The breeder also gave me some other things to give Molly, that she gave to all her birds - birdie bread (which I had to make) a nut-seed-bean mix, and some other suggestions. I did that religiously for awhile, then Molly's 'tastes' changes I guess, so now I am trying other things. She loves grapes, and occasionally will eat snap beans. Sometimes I'll try other fruit but it's kind of frustrating when you give her something and she turns it down... I hate wasting food...lol.
I find the Bronze-winged very sweet. Of course each one has his/her own personality. My friend also wanted a pionus, so we decided to do this together - she ended up getting Molly's brother, who she named Shire. Shire had a different personality - still sweet but different. Unfortunately, he developed some health issues later in life, and my friend had to put him to sleep. It was very difficult. But my point is basically I find the pionus a wonderful bird.
Don't lose hope -- you'll find another bird... I'll keep looking too... maybe your vet will help you find just the right one...Anita

Offline cab124

• Egg
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 06:03:26 PM »
I can only begin to imagine how difficult it must be to put a parrot to sleep.  That would be awful.  So sorry to hear that!!

Molly sounds wonderful, and the relationship that you have with her sounds very similar to the one that I had with Cosmo.  I think that I would have been just like you waiting for the breeder to allow my to finally bring my bird home.  It must have been such an amazing experience to finally take her home with you.  It makes me really happy to hear how well it has worked out for you.

I like to think that Cosmo picked me, rather than me picking her.  I walked into a Petland store in Columbus, Ohio and walked up to an open enclosure where they had several young birds running around.  There were a few cockatoos, a few other birds, and Cosmo.  I distinctly remember Cosmo running right up to me when she saw me.  I reached down and she jumped right up onto my finger.  I remember lifting her up near my face an marveling at how beautiful she was!  I really thought she was so beautiful.  She reminded me of a falcon, or a hawk, so proud and majestic.  I hung out with her for a while and then put her back down.  I had no intention of getting a bird at the time.  However, I could not get her out of my mind that night so I went back the next day, and sure enough, when she saw me, she ran across the enclosure and jumped back up onto my finger.  I really began to like her.  Later that week, I brought my sister over to check her out and she liked her to.  So, on Christmas Eve of 1996, I took her home and she became my best buddy for 21 years.  Dang, I miss her so much!!!!!!

I completely understand what you are saying about food.  We work so hard to try to give our little friends the best diet we can, but they won't eat all of the things that are good for them.  Just like you, I tried birdie bread, chop, seed sprouting, etc.  Cosmo would not eat any of it.  The things that she did like:  pomegranates, frozen peas (thawed out), grapes, blueberries, corn, pellets, etc.  For the first 10-12 years of her life she also ate a ton of sunflower seeds, but that was a big mistake!!!  I am convinced that those seeds contributed to her being so hormonal and nesty.

Have you ever tried serving items that Molly won't eat at a different location?  I know that sounds nuts, but there were times that Cosmo would not touch a certain food when I served it to her on top of her main cage, but would dig right in if I served it to her on a plate in the bathroom!!!  Bird psychology!  Go figure.

Check this out.  It a video of Cosmo that I really enjoy.  She did not like my measuring cups, so, when I placed them on the counter top in front of her, she would push them, one-by-one, on to the floor.  I call this video "My Work Here is Finished," because she works hard to rid the counter top of the measureind cups, then, when she is done, she flees the seen with a "my work here is finished" attitude.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Agr-Osvr6MsLudhe-KRQj8-lVYJIjA

Craig

Offline mollysmom0822

• Egg
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 10:06:11 PM »
Hi Craig, first of... how hysterical was that video!! boy, she sure showed those cups didn't she!! She was so fierce as she was pushing at them ... and looking at you, like, 'whatchoo looking at??'. I like the little glance at the end like she wasn't sure what you were going to do or say... they sure have facial expressions, don't they? I loved that video. I'm sure I've videoed Molly and Shire together, when he was alive. My friend and I would have (don't laugh) "play dates" where we'd take turns about once a week or so, going over each other's houses with our bird, putting toys and food for them on the table, and watch them as we'd have lunch or something .. and they actually would play together... in the beginning, when they were young. Then, some where along the line, they kind of 'lost interest' in each other... kinda sad, but they still didn't mind hanging out together, and playing separately with the toys.
I was amazed that you found Cosmos at a Pet Store! and a chain at that! Very rarely did they sell anything bigger than a cockatiel back then... now, I don't even know if these kinds of massive pet stores sell parrots at all... I have a Petco near me that I go to when I need to buy emergency supplies (I usually get my foods and stuff from Drs. Foster and Smith) and I've never seen anything other than an occasional lovebird or conure.. that sized bird -- but plenty of parakeets, finches, etc. So you sure did get a real gem there! I have a similar story with Molly. This breeder was up in Massachusetts, and my friend and I lived on Long Island, NY. We took a ferry across to Connecticut and drove to the breeders house. Her house was, of course, filled with all kinds of rooms with all kinds of birds! It was amazing. She brought out the two birds, and we sat at the kitchen table. When we tried to interact with them, Shire ran to my friend, and Molly climbed up my arm to my shoulder -- so, see, they do pick you! I think they have kind of a sixth sense or something.. lol.
I've never thought of trying to give her a different food in a different room. I'll have to try that. She used to like blueberries, and kiwi, but I haven't tried them since she stopped eating them. Maybe I'll try again... and yes I am GUILTY of giving her small amounts of sunflower seeds. I know it's bad, but she likes them so much!! (what an excuse, like feeding a child cookies all the time because she likes them.. lol)
Anyway, thanks for sharing that video. I'll see if I can find the video I took of Molly and Shire. I think it was just them running around the table playing with the toys.
Hang in there... I know you just lost Cosmo and you miss her greatly... but the next bird won't ever replace her in your heart; she will always be there, and I bet she's looking down from that rainbow bridge, saying, well, where's my food??
Take care.
Anita