Author Topic: Hi! new member here!  (Read 369 times)

Offline cab124

• Egg
Re: Hi! new member here!
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 10:11:40 AM »
Haha...glad you enjoyed the video, Anita!!  Its always been one of my favorites.  Do you have any videos of Molly, or even some more pictures?  I would love to see more of her.  She was really beautiful in the picture you posted above.

Yes, that pet store had many large parrots at the time, and they were allowed to roam free in enclosures so that they could interact with people and other birds.  Not sure if that is an ideal setup or not, but it definitely was fun!!  Since then, they have backed off on that arrangement a little bit becuase of bird theft.  Bad people always seem to ruin it for the rest of us.

I think I am leaning toward a Blue-headed or Bronze-winged Pionus for my second bird.  I am reading some really good descriptions of them.

How does Molly do when you handle her?  Does she prefer to limit your touching her to head scritches, or does she get a little more cuddly than that?  How loud does she get?  Do you and her have a very tight bond?  What time does she like to go to bed and wake up?  Does she allow others to handle her beside yourself?

I really appreciate the info!  I am trying to learn as much as I can so that I can make a good decision.

Thanks!!
Craig

Offline mollysmom0822

• Egg
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 12:23:24 PM »
Hi Craig, I would love to post more pictures, but this website had a size limit, and most of my pictures are 'big'. The only way I was able to post the one I did of Molly was to edit it and shrink it a little. I was then able to post it. What do you use to post your stuff?
Yes, I agree on the pet store limiting the arrangement of allowing people to interact with birds -- unfortunately there are a lot of 'not nice' people out there.

To answer your questions: Molly does not like me to 'grab' her on her back. I had that problem when she got out in the wilds.. I almost had her, and went to grab her to catch her but she freaked and got away (I learned from that too). I always knew that she didn't like her back / wings touched, but I was so anxious at that point, I just wanted to get her back. She loves her neck and chin/cheek scratched, and loves me to rub her beak.
She is 'cuddly' when she wants to be. Sometimes (and often when I am upset or sad - and she must sense that) she will lean against my cheek when she's on my shoulder. Sometimes she'll let me 'nuzzle' her with my nose or face, and she lets me kiss her (usually on the chest).

As far as noise, for the most part she is quiet. There are times however (and unfortunately when she's sitting on my shoulder, right next to my ear!) she can give out a loud screech. Luckily, she doesn't do this often. For the most part she is a quiet bird - sometimes though, if she's unsure of something, or if she's playing (she loves to go into paper bags) she'll make this 'mumbling' noise - like an old lady talking to herself - so funny!

I usually try to put my birds to bed around 6:30 - 7:00 (I also have 4 parakeets and a cockatiel). They say that birds are supposed to get at least 12 hours covered/quiet time. I usually am up by 7:30 -8:00 so they get a little more than that, but I can hear them moving around (and I hear the parakeets chirping) before I even uncover them! (bad birdies!! lol)

As far as handling, it's just me, so I am the one who handles her the most. She will perch on other people's fingers/shoulder only if she gets to know them. The first time out, she'll pin her eyes, open her beak, and make that funny 'old lady' mumble, as if to say 'ok who are you, and are you safe?" Once she knows she is ok, with my help, she'll let other people pick her up.

I hope this helps! I love the personality of the bronze-wing, and hope you have as much luck as I did.
Anita

Offline cab124

• Egg
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 07:46:14 PM »
Wow, everything you have describes is EXACTLY the same as Cosmo.  Molly and Cosmo would have got along well!!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions.  I really appreciate it.

As far as pictures and videos, I post mine to Microsoft OneDrive rather than hosting them here because, as you said, the size limits here make it almost impossible here.  Once they are on OneDrive where there are no size limits, its very easy to share them here by posting a link as I do.  You could also use Google Drive, or DropBox, etc.  Any of these services work well.

I will keep you posted on my parrot search!!
Craig

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 09:38:29 PM »
Find the program called IrfanView, it's free and has a nice picture resize function built in. It can play most picture and video files and has a lot of functionality to play with. I use it to resize the average 4 meg per picture files my camera takes and it does a quick and easy job of it. It has several canned sizes you can pick or you can customize everything to get it where you need it. I usually drop mine to 800x600 and they look great on a web page and are much smaller.
Village Idiot

Offline cab124

• Egg
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 08:46:37 PM »
I guess downsizing the pictures for upload is an option, but I think I prefer to just leave them on the site where I keep them permanently hosted (where they are automatically uploaded from my phone), and then just posting a link here to share them.  Its very easy to do, and viewers can then enjoy the pictures at full resolution.

Offline mollysmom0822

• Egg
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 07:37:35 PM »
Hi Dartman! Thought I lost you for awhile there.. how are you doing? How's Dobby? Thanks for the info. I am going to try the OneDrive since I already have it on my computer - I put two videos and two pictures in there to start, so now I just have to figure out how to get that link on here (LOL). I would love to see more pictures of your guy(s). Take care! Anita (Mollysmom0822)
If  you or Craig can give me some help on how I can share this one drive, I'd appreciate it!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 08:06:25 PM »
Never used one drive so can't help on that but I bet a Google search would point you to all the answers and probably a few sites that specialize in what you want to do and use.
Dobby is doing great, he chases sister around and makes her crazy. Me he looks at like your not my chosen one but he also knows I control the walnuts so he bothers me when he decides he needs some.  :icon_mrgreen:
Village Idiot

Offline cab124

• Egg
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 09:32:22 AM »
I am very excited to see some pictures and video!!!!

All you have to do is log into OneDrive and then navigate to the folder or file that you wish to share.  Select the item by clicking the little circle in the upper right corner so that it displays a checkmark.  After it is selected, look for the "Share" icon toward the top of the page.  When you click the share icon, it will raise a dialog asking you how you would like to share.  Click on the "Get a link" button.  It will then display a link that you can copy and paste into one of your messages here so that others can see the content you are sharing.  You can even tell it to make the link expire after an amount of time if you wish.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your buddy!!!!!!

Offline mollysmom0822

• Egg
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 10:07:08 AM »
1. Hi Dartman! Glad to hear your birds are doing well, and Dobby is keeping you on your toes!! Do you have any pics you's like to share? I'd love to see Dobby... How old is he?
You mentioned his sister -- I didn't realize you have two birds? What's Dobby's sister's name?
Thanks for the help - I was able to figure out the One Drive (surprised myself!) .

2. Hi Craig, thanks for your help too...so, here's the link for the One Drive. Hopefully I did this right - there are two videos  (part one and part two - on the same day I think - it was so long ago) and a couple of pictures. The video is of Molly and her brother, Shire, me and Shire's mom, Virginia. We used to try to get together about once a week or so (didn't always work that way, as usual) for a 'play' date (lol). They are about a year old.  They used to LOVE to preen each other.
I've got a TON of pictures (not just of my birds, but others) that I am trying to go through to organize (you know how that is!) so when I come across some other pics I'll put them out there.
You too, if you can... I'd love to see more pictures of Cosmo!
Thanks! Anita
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ahhy4hsrKAhrjyeGeycBdb5z7saX

Offline mollysmom0822

• Egg
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 10:41:50 AM »
Hi... two more things -- I loved that article about the Bronze-Winged Pionus, Dartman! Thanks for sharing that... the other thing is I am having a problem with the videos - when I tried to play them, using the link - to test it out to see if it works - it says there is a problem with the video - I don't know what I did wrong . I tried uploading the videos again, but had the same problem... any suggestions?

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 11:15:25 AM »
The article was posted by cab124, as far as sister she is MY sister and Dobby has chosen her as his favorite so I'm just the walnut provider and house cleaner.
As far One Drive the videos give the same error message for me and it looks like nothing uploaded. Maybe try converting them to a common format like MPEG and see if it will accept them after that.
Village Idiot

Offline mollysmom0822

• Egg
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2017, 04:59:26 PM »
Hi Dartman, sorry about that... I didn't realize you meant you're actual sister when you said sister... I thought you meant Dobby's sister. lol.. so Dobby bonded to her, but likes you only for the walnuts, huh? awwww.... well at least that's something.... is he at least a little friendly around you? I guess you can't pick him up unless you have food in your hand?
Molly can be like that with other people she knows - she'll only come to them if they have a nutriberry (her favorite) in their hand.
I looked at the file and it is in MPG format, so I don't know what I am doing wrong. I tried re-uploading them again, but its still the same problem... I'll have to do a little more research, but thanks for your help.
Anita

Offline cab124

• Egg
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2017, 07:26:18 PM »
Wow!  Those pictures Dobby are amazing!!!  Thank you so much for posting them.  I really enjoy seeing other people's birds.

I visited a local aviary today, and they had a 8-9 yr-old male Maximillian Pionus sitting in a cage along with a much older (30+ years) bronze wing Pionus!  The maxi looked very similar to Dobby, but they said it would take a lot of work for him to be a pet.  Both were very beautiful.  Also, they said that the bronze-wing would be absolutely lost without the Maxi around.  She was very bonded to him.

I felt bad for them because the room was full of very, very loud cockatoos and macawas.  It was deafening!!!  The timid pionuses just sat quietly on their perches while these large parrots were sitting high up on perches hanging from the celiling being loud and obnoxious.

They had lots of other birds, like conures, love birds, cockatiels, ring necks, etc.  I really enjoyed the baby (5 month) parrotlets.  They were such cute and playful little guys.

As far as the video, I am not sure what might be causing the problem.  I have never seen that type of error before.  Most of the videos that I upload to OneDrive are MP4 directly from my iPhone or my Windows Phone.  Does the error occur when you upload the video to OneDrive, or when you try to download it from a link?  What exactly does the error say?

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2017, 07:55:55 PM »
Thanks, Dobby really seems to try and keep himself handsome, Lurch always looked pretty beat up by comparison. Dobby used to love baths in the shower with Momazon but not really so far with me so I spray him down in my bathroom when it's warm enough and he sorta tolerates it.
Lurch took most of 5 years to decide I was trust worthy and his chosen one but he did get there so I bet those two you saw would become trusting and happy with enough time, patience, and love. You can probably find my posts here about how Lurch and I were doing to see the slow break throughs as they happened. Unfortunately the original board is gone as there were tons of posts and pictures about him there when I first got him.
Village Idiot

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 01:14:42 AM »
When he first got here he loved me, but then he saw my sister and she sorta looks like Momazon and does cool things in the kitchen so he switched to her. He has no problem stepping up for me, riding on my shoulder, hanging out and getting treats. She is the one allowed to scritch and finger wrestle with him and he's always trying to woo her. One day when he was afraid of my mom I offered him to sister and OH NO, your the big bad protector and enforcer, I'm staying on you, so that was cool.
If I open his cage for the day I MUST reach in and allow him to jump on my hand for a ride out, if sister does it she must open the door then wait for him to come out on his own, then maybe he'll fly to her shoulder.
Birds and Pionus can can some funny rules at times about how things are to be.
Village Idiot