Author Topic: sunflower seeds  (Read 3426 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
sunflower seeds
« on: January 27, 2013, 10:43:03 PM »
Do your pionus eat sunflower seeds? Neither of mine eat them in shell or shelled. I tried using them for training purposes but there was no interest. I thought birds loved sunflower seeds as a high value treat so I am surprised both my pi turn their beaks and do not consider this a treat.
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Re: sunflower seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:58:47 PM »
Nerd loved them and Lurch likes them too. I bet if they see you munching them then they'll decide they have to try one cuase mommy eats them.
I like to grow them too becuase they're cool to look at, feed the wild birds, and Nerd liked them.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 07:44:40 PM »
Not going to push them to like them. Just surprised neither have interest

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 11:52:30 PM »
Well I bet they have no clue they are good but I'd just leave some of them out for them and they'll decide if they want to try them.
lurch wouldn't eat a lot of things when he got here but the pellets he was used to but he's constantly trying new things now. Nerd was the same way but between seeing us eat things and him just eventually getting curious on his own and trying something then deciding he liked it.
I'm surprised they don't like them either but every critter is diferent and I think my guys liked them because as much as anything they like crunching the shells then discovered the seeds were good too.
Village Idiot

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 04:19:44 PM »
Because Adam had health issues due to being on an all seed diet when I first got him I was fostering and asked by the rescue to not give him any seeds - now he only gets Nutriberries and a little bit of a Goldenfeast mixture (either Central American Rainforest, Hookbill Legume or Madagascar Delight) and there may be a few sunflower seeds but it is not like he goes right for them and picks them out. Chante seems to ignore them as well. His idea of a treat is a whole almond in the shell

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 07:03:51 PM »
Yeah, not upset that they don't want sunflower seeds for treats. Not healthy food but given it would be at a minimum thought it may be high value motivating treat for training. Oh well

Offline luvbirds

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »
All our birds get Nutriberries and the Goldenfeast Central American for treats but not sunflower seeds unless they are in the mix. Holly our BW loves pumpkin or squash seeds for her treats.

Offline Fuzzy

• Egg
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 06:50:05 PM »
Both Kobe and Ollie don't like dry sunflower seeds, but they both like them sprouted.