Author Topic: Lurch has decided my shoulder is nice, with pics  (Read 6633 times)

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Lurch has decided my shoulder is nice, with pics
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:09:58 PM »
As it says he's starting to want to climb up my arm when I'm in my chair and hang out on my shoulder now. He gives me a look like can I come up there with you daddy? and starts climbing up my arm then he'll sit happily and preen or let me scritch him a bit and grab my glasses and touch my ear, luckily very gently.
I do get a bit concerned considering how he's been but the only way we can move forward is to go with it and be careful as I like my ears and things :shocking: He's really starting to be a tiny bit of a cuddle bug and also REALLY likes to land on sister when she's working in the kitchen and watch her work and try to get treats, he's very different from what he was when he first got here. :thumbsup:
Village Idiot

Offline luvbirds

• Egg
Re: Lurch has decided my shoulder is nice, with pics
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:09:41 PM »
Great pics!
It took 3 years before I had a Pi on my shoulders and Xev likes to nibbles my ears, but hard at times!

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 01:50:11 PM »
Well the joke was that Lurch was on the five year plan to being best buddies like my previuos Maxi Nerd was
:icon_mrgreen: 
Lurch is siting on my knee right now as work ended way early today so I let the bugger out early and we shared my hot ham and cheese sandwich. He hasn't asked to get on my shoulder yet, in fact he just flew to my sister as she is making breakfast/lunch as it's her day off and they always have toast together, routine is important  :shades:
Nerd bird used to look right at my eyes then gentle touch my eyelids, I could trust him that much and he had trust and respect for me.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 06:50:42 PM »
How terrific to hear of his progress....
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 01:37:57 PM »
Well here's 3 more from later on... :shades:
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 10:20:42 PM »
He seems very happy :)

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 10:26:25 PM »
He definitely has his calm and happy with the world moments. Today he alternated between being happy and taking treats then deciding he'd had enough and going into full battle mode on my knee. Luckily I could see where he was headed and had my old green army jacket on with the extra liner so he could attack my arm with great prejudice and not hurt anything.
Later he was happy again and actually put his head down on sisters knee so she could scratch him while he had the same dreamy look in his eyes. He NEVER lets her scritch him so that was another hurdle crossed and he never jumped and got nippy either :icon_mrgreen:
Village Idiot

Offline GinnyW

• Egg
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »
Wonderful progress! I remember when you first brought Lurch home and talked about him on the old forum. He's come a long way since then.  :wink1:

Offline Louise9460

• Egg
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 01:31:43 PM »
Lovely pics.  :heart:

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 03:47:19 PM »
Thanks, he's sitting on the back of the chair while I type this and eventually he'll fly to my knee.  Just now he flew over to the treat dish we've been keeping on his towel on the couch arm. Guess he needs goodies right now :wink1:
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 03:17:42 AM »
Lurch looks happy and content. Additional encouragement for me that Charlie will continue to get even more adjusted. I feel week by week improvements still continue and I have had him 8 months. This week he got to my shouldet and allowed me to walk around house with him....he didnt freak out about being in an unfamiliar room....he let me know his comfort level and I respected that....all in due time the nervousness will subside more

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »
Now one of his things is if either of us go into the kitchen he flies to our shoulders as he knows food and drink come from there. He also will start to get upset and land on my shoulder or fly to my arm if he thinks I'm leaving to go to bed. I wanted a shower the other night and he couldn't stand it and I was way down the hall by my bathroom. I could see he wanted to come see what I was going to do so I held up my arm and said come on, he flew right onto it perfectly so I showed him the mirror and then went into the computer room while he made happy noises and preened. He used to get frustrated or upset while up there and then pop us in the neck but lately he just sits nicely so maybe shaking him off every time he gets pissy has taught him to be nice if he wants to hang out there.
He seems to be still coming around more and more and the bites get less and less, and much lighter then when he first got here and was basically scared to death. :icon_mrgreen:
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 07:55:32 PM »
Lurch really sounds like he loves the good life and that he is happily spoiled. Your patience & persistence is amazing...so wonderful for a bird's life to turn around

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 08:21:39 PM »
Tanku, though we do have our days where I want to strangle him and he wants to bury me in the back yard they are getting farther and farther apart.
When I had Nerd we got to the point if I got bit(Rarely) there was always a reason and I pretty much could tell what it was.
Lurch is getting there and I try to respect his boundaries, same as Nerd.
Village Idiot

Offline momazon

• Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 11:02:28 PM »
He has made worlds of progress, I remember whey he attacked your arm all the time   :shocking:  Now he sounds very happy!