Author Topic: Hello from Gita  (Read 1970 times)

Gita

Hello from Gita
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:57:58 AM »
Hello everyone. I am new here. Currently I have four species of salamanders, about 30 in total - all hardcore carnivores ^-^ When I was 5 years old, I had a budgie (obviously not a powder-down bird), but my allergies were so bad that my parents gave him to my friend. I was sad when he left our house, and sadder still when he died about a week later :( What I really like about parrots is that they communicate in a much clearer way than humans; I have Asperger's Syndrome, and interpreting how to respond to people is difficult.

Recently I found out about allergy-friendly Eclectus, but I wonder, is the Pionus also allergy friendly? The apartment I share is small, and has many books and some furniture that can't get damaged. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Offline GinnyW

• Egg
Re: Hello from Gita
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 01:06:05 PM »
Parrots are great chewers. Books, clothes, furniture, just about anything. I remember once I washed a bunch of bras and hung them in my room to dry. My two maxi pi's chewed the metal hooks off of ALL of them.  My fault for leaving them out of their cage - I should have known better.  Although they're not as dusty as some parrots, pionuses do give off dander.  Just ask Jan, who runs this forum. She used to breed pionus parrots until her worsening asthma made it impossible to continue.

Are there any parrot rescue organizations where you live? You might consider volunteering somewhere like that to see if you're able to be around parrots without having an allergic reaction.  It'll also give you an opportunity to interact with different species up close and personal.  :wink1:  Best wishes and keep us posted! 

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
Re: Hello from Gita
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 03:25:40 AM »
Welcome! I have bad allergies. I reacted at first when I got my pionus. So try to spend time with one first. With my regular allergy meds I am fine but I do  recommend checking this out before committing. I intermittently use air purifier. I actually got a second pi so my allergies really are kept in check enough to enjoy my two birds

In terms of books and furniture you do not want damaged, note a bird with out of cage freedom (recommended!) can get into anything. My pi have several play stands around my house and their flight feathers have not grown in yet so I can control what they get into for the moment. One has to be vigilant when they are out and ensure a safe home...like for a toddler. By keeping them busy with foraging and chew toys my pi are not destructive at all. My cockatiels never took to toys and chewed door frames and books...but I knew nothing of teaching birds to forage when I had tiels so I have evolved. Best wishes
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto