Author Topic: Lurch helping sister with measuring spoons  (Read 4484 times)

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
Lurch helping sister with measuring spoons
« on: March 01, 2013, 07:00:05 PM »
Like it says he was in a good mood tonight and decided to sit on sisters shoulder while she worked on dinner and really liked her old measuring spoons :icon_mrgreen:
Village Idiot

Offline Cetan

• Nestling
Re: Lurch helping sister with measuring spoons
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 08:31:46 PM »
Great pictures and it seems Lurch is more sociable by the day. At the last picture I was thinking ok now she has to stand up very slowly

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 08:47:29 PM »
She talks to him while she's making whatever and he watches intently and listen, and tries to sneak down to steal whatever looks good to him. She tells him to hang on and things when she moves and tries to be careful. He also gets pissy if you come up and try to take him away, like NO! I'm hanging out with mom right now... :biglaughing:
Village Idiot

Offline Fuzzy

• Egg
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 12:01:02 PM »
It looks like great fun helping mom with the cooking!  Yep I agree with Cetan - Lurch seems so sociable now!  It's fabulous watching his progress!  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 12:12:42 PM »
He's a interesting little soul for sure, pissy and nippy one minute and a attention hound and love sponge the next. He also seems to generally like and be interested in people, unlike old Nerd bird who loved me, liked sister, and was suspicious and scared of anyone else and tended to wheeze whenever anything new happened.
I think he kinda likes my mom and step dad too, though he has messed with and bit her at least once. The funny thing is she wasn't mad at him and said it was partly her fault as she was offering a treat and he scared her by lunging or something so she pulled away just as he reached for it and he grabbed her finger when she started pulling him away and clamped down maybe so he wouldn't fall.
I always tell her he secretly likes her anyways... :shades:
Village Idiot

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »
I love the pics Terry! ♥
Lurch and your sister seems to really like each other and I'm happy to see him so sociable. :-)
Just wait some years, he will be the sweetest bird and you will never regret all the work. ♥

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 01:09:38 PM »
Thanks, It took Nerd bird a while too but the good thing about him is he tended to not want to bite to begin with so it was a easier run till we became best buds. He was happy to just hang out by me and get a scritch and snooze.
Lurch is getting there for sure, just have to read his moods and work around them. He was hanging out on my shoulder a few days ago and he's discovered he likes to chew and gnaw on our collars, probably because they feel neat and squishy in his beak. BUT sometimes he grabs your shoulder blade and clamps down, probably on accident.
He did that to me, I went OUCH! STOP THAT and he immediately fluffed up and got pissy so I shook my shoulder and he flew away.
He came back after calming down and was mostly OK so thinking he just grabbed a part he didn't realize was me.
He certainly does react to our emotions so it's a mistake to get cross with him while he's on you as it tends to get him going, like when he was on my shoulder.   
Lurch and sister also have the toast sharing on her weekday days off, and she tends to stuff his face with nutri berries when it's nightly feeding/snack time though we both give him some. He also LOVES to fly onto her when working in the open kitchen area and watch and supervise, though it makes it harder for her to get anything done but it makes his day and she enjoys the love back from him anyways.
Village Idiot

Offline maxsmom

• Navigator
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 04:24:07 AM »
I agree he looks sociable and happy. Patience is winning! Lurch is lucky to have you both
She flies with her own wings. Oregon State Motto

Offline Fuzzy

• Egg
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 05:41:23 PM »
He certainly does react to our emotions so it's a mistake to get cross with him while he's on you as it tends to get him going, like when he was on my shoulder.   

That's very interesting, Dartman.  Kobe is exactly the same - I had to get into the habit of lowering my energy or just being calm around him.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 10:41:35 PM »
And today he kept landing on my shoulder then pecking my neck after a minute or so. I shook him off but he wasn't fluffing at me and being pissy so I'm thinking he wants attention I'm not giving him once he's there so he pecks at me to get me to hop to whatever it is he wanted :shocking:
I let him back on my shoulder after a bit and he rode into my computer room, and shortly started nipping and pecking my neck again. I could reach up and scritch him just fine and he wasn't fluffing or anything but would just haul off and pop me without any warning so after the fifth time I shook him off my shoulder again, but he stepped right up nicely on my arm and rode back to the front room without getting pissy. At least he didn't bite super hard or chew like these guys like to do. Hopefully he's being hormonal or just not knowing how to ask for scritches and attention in a non parrot acceptable way but I have small welts all over my neck now :(
It's one step forward and two steps back...
Village Idiot

Offline E

• Nestling
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 11:37:53 AM »
It is hormon time at the moment so don't take it so hard  Terry!  :hugs: I'm sure he love you a lot but don't know how to react.
For your neck you can lubricate with Extra virgin coconuts oil. It is antibacterial.

Offline Dartman

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 05:32:53 PM »
Thanks, kinda wondered seeing how until recently he's been pretty good up there just preening himself and my ear, so figured it was that or the old I want you to do something and this is how I ask the rest of my flock mates so what's the problem. Luckily most of the spots just leave tiny welts, though he did barely break the skin at one spot I guess.
Village Idiot

Offline Al_96789

• Egg
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 10:26:53 PM »
Carla does it whenever I don't get a hair cut, and my neck shaved, often enough. It's time for a hair cut, and it does hurt.
Carla - BW